I was wondering what that vibration was

HK12K

100 kW
Oof

Noticed this while leaving work the other day. I had done 50+ mph on my way in that day.

Glad I looked.

20220227_112102.jpg20220227_112048.jpg20220227_112023.jpg

rock or curb strike? or just rim failure?

(fwiw I use the same tire in 20x2.25 at full pressure (34psi?) on the sb cruiser...but it hasn't stopped getting damaged rims from potholes...mine just folded over rather than cracking open, though....sbc doesn't have any suspension and is very heavy, though).

Honestly I'm not sure. This is on the rear of my Giant Revive, so suspended, and has been pulling commuter duty. I don't recall hitting anything out of the ordinary and the road surface between here and work is fairly smooth. It spends 12+ hours per night out in the elements and we've recently had a cold snap, so mild under inflation might be a consideration. Looks like I might have hit a road deviation with too little air cushion and the rim bent and split in protest.

It's still holding air too, for what it's worth. :lol:

it'll hold air fine until the tube gets squished against the sharp edge of the break, then will wear/slice thru at that point. (ask me how I know). :(

the bigger problem is the rim will typically continue to split along the break; this is what happened to the only bent one i had that i tried to straighten out; it cracked along the bend line, then pressure from the tire and every bump i hit over time split it further and further.... :(

Think it's time for me to hit up the Pro Wheels website.

May the god of mathematics be with me. :pancake:

here's the pics of that rim
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12500&p=1229244&hilit=split+rim#p1229244

start
file.php

eventual
file.php

at replacement
file.php

Back