Infineon Controller 48v to 60v mod?

Spacey

100 kW
Has anyone here successfully modded their Infineon controller from 48v to use 60v by changing the R1 value on the board?

Basically I've bought another 4 x Headway 12ah cells and bought the correct charger etc... But I have one of these controllers (see Pic)

On the ebike.ca site it says this:

How do I modify the controller for more than 48 Volts?

The Infineon controllers have a somewhat limited design for their 12V linear regulator, which makes it difficult to have the same controller work with both 36V packs and 72V batteries. If you want to run with more than a 48V battery pack, then it is essential to replace the 2 watt power resistor R1 on the PCB with a higher series resistance. For 60V operation it should be 400 ohms, while for 72V operation you will want 600 ohms. There is approximately 50mA of current through this resistor, so we recommend putting two 2W resistors in series to handle the heat.

Now I've located the 2W 200R resistor (big thick resistor)..... can I get away with making another 2W 200R out of some 1/4Watt 100R resistors I have kicking about and then wiring the new 2W 200R resistor in series with the older one to make 400R?

My old pack was 16 Cell Headway 12ah the new one would be 20cell 12ah
C3640-NC.jpg

The short answer is it's been done. There is a ton of data here:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13638&hilit=100a+100v

I would probably change the fets out too for reliable performance. Go with some IRFB4110s if you can find them or 4113s. You should have no trouble then, with the base resistor mod as documented in that thread.

20S lifepo4 is not 60V, more like 74V.

we know the mosfets will survive but you need to replace the input caps and the input power resistor needs to be raised in value.

idle current is about 45mA. you wanna keep the input to the voltage regulator below about 50V, so if your pack is 20X3.7V=74V then you need (74-50)/.045=533 ohm.

when you get down to 2.1V/cell that is 42V and the current under load is about 65mA. you want the voltage regulator to see at least 12V so you would need no more than (42-12)/.065= 462 ohm.

i have some 300 ohm 2W power resistors and 100V 1000uF caps if you need them.

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10222

Cheers for the help guys :D

The controller was from bikes.ca so has had the fet and capacitor upgrades already. So it's just a cse of upping the resistance to around 460 ohms that should cover for the 72v of a fully charged 20 cell Headway.

Now I've just got to get this damn Bms on my other pack to freaking work......damn I hate Bms's

Spacey said:
can I get away with making another 2W 200R out of some 1/4Watt 100R resistors I have kicking about and then wiring the new 2W 200R resistor in series with the older one to make 400R?
If you were to use 1/4w resistors, you'd need to connect 8 (1/4W x 8 = 2W) in parallel. So for example, use 8 x 4.8k 1/4w resistors to create a 600 ohm load rated at 2w.

No these BMS were dead on arrival as in one of the Fets was not even solder to the board properly i.e totally missing the whole and a huge blob of solder making it impossible to move back correctly. The bike kept pulsing on and off 5 times a second.
S3-24.jpg

I measured the resistance of the 16 Resistors on the board with my multimeter.

To be honest I'm not having a lot of luck with these damn BMS's either charging works and discharge does not or discharge works but charging does not.... it's not my battery pack as there is not a lot that can go wrong with a 16cell Headway pack, and besides I tried the BMS with a brand new straight from the dealer pack, another pack from my other bike and one from my main ride.

Anyone have any clues as to a decent reliable BMS?

FWIW and as a reference point, Justin advised that I increase the resistance of the power resistor in series to the LM317 regulator to about 400 ohms a 60V pack

rscamp said:
FWIW and as a reference point, Justin advised that I increase the resistance of the power resistor in series to the LM317 regulator to about 400 ohms a 60V pack

That's pretty close to what I did on my 25A unit which is optimized for 63V.
Infineon Controller Power Resistor Calculator

Best of luck! KF

Anyone have any clues as to a decent reliable BMS?[/quote
]
It looks like the European version of Gary and Richards stuff is availible.
otherDoc

I also added resistors when I went from 36 to 54 volts on my old Infineon to keep the LM power reasonable. I think Dnmun sent me 2 300 ohm ones to use (or were they 600 ohms?).Oldtimers disease! It also seems to be fine at 36 volts I am running now until I put the Fatpacks back on.
otherDoc

"I measured the resistance of the 16 Resistors on the board with my multimeter."

a 340 ohm resistor is orange yellow brown. the shunt resistors on that BMS are most likely 34 ohm orange yellow black.

you cannot measure the resistance while the resistor in in the circuit.

maybe you can repair that BMS. especially if it will balance, since you can fix the problem with the output FETS by soldering the mosfet back in place maybe.

AW and Dnmun taught me to unsolder only 1 leg of the resistor and then you can measure across it!
otherDoc

Cheers for the info, I'm still a bit noobish with electronics. Have bought some proper 2W resistors from the local electrical shop though just to be on the safe side.

dnmun said:
"I measured the resistance of the 16 Resistors on the board with my multimeter."

a 340 ohm resistor is orange yellow brown. the shunt resistors on that BMS are most likely 34 ohm orange yellow black.

you cannot measure the resistance while the resistor in in the circuit.

maybe you can repair that BMS. especially if it will balance, since you can fix the problem with the output FETS by soldering the mosfet back in place maybe.

Yep noticed that mistake myself at the last min, I had the multimeter set wrong.....doh! 34ohm increase would have been nasty had I put the 60V pack on and fired her up.

Nice one for pointing it out to me, must not wire stuff up late at night when I am tired.

wouldn't have been too bad. if the pack was about 71V and idle current is 45mA so 71-(.045X234)=60.4V so that would pulled the output of the voltage regulator just over 20-21V which the transistors can still withstand.

the bottom side where you discharge the pack down to 42V is the bigger risk. 42-(500X.065)=9.5V which is really very low input. that risks being so low the transistors won't work right, so try to keep the pack above 45V.

Will do, I shall set the low voltage on the CA to 46Volts to be on the safe side.

Really appreciate you taking time out to educate me on these things :)

Looks like one of the BMS is not broken (the one that would not charge). After stripping the new pack down I found a few of the cells were very high at 3.7volts! So I wired up my girlfriends make up mirror which has a 1.4A 4.2V set of light bulbs in and drained each cell until it was 3.3 V. Now the charger charges the pack. Still have one cell at around 3.7V so will wire up the house light bulb to drain the whole pack a bit and keep recharging with the BMS until balanced.

The charger stopped when charged and the 3.7V cell light came on the BMS....then when the cell light went out the charger started up again but only twice. Was hoping that it would keep doing this until balanced but the green light came on the charger and hasn't came on again since.

Gradually learning how BMS work lol.

'edited for terrible bad mistakes in typing' must have been the late night.

you mean 3.7V i hope. i really am not familiar enuff with this BMS since i have only just seen them and never analyzed them.

they have that potting compound on everything and hard to see how they work or test them but you should keep track of the gate voltage with the pack all wired up and then see if wiggling the pins in the sense wire plug make it switch on.

walk the voltmeter up and down the shunt resistors measuring the voltage across each cell (check to see which leg is attached to the cell) until something makes sense or you get too drunk to go more.

BOL, dm

Love this setup on 66V pulls like a train, in fact it's too fast... 37mph is just a bit too quick for me. Have just put a magic pie on for a laugh to see how that goes at this voltage. Man the torque is immense but top end is only 28mph which actually is not that bad, only down side is the cogging/non peddlability and the noise/size.

But will out accelerate any twist and go moped around.

Back