Kelly KLS 72601-8080I

Tpesl

1 mW
Building a dirt bike with Kelly KLS 72601-8080I controler
Performed the initial "setup" by entering #170 in the "motor identify engle " and now the motor spins momentarily every minute or so but nothing else . The throttle doesn't work.
Not sure how to proceed.
Any ideas? please and thank you.

Attachments

• 20221023_163212.jpg
    20221023_163212.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 396
FWIW, the "Motor Identify En" is probably Enable rather than Engle. ;)

Why they don't just use "Enabled/disabled" in the field, or "0/1", instead of that very specific number set, I don't know, because having to use a specific number like that is just plain bizarre. (I played with one I have here and no other number in that field will do anything--only those two, so it's not like the actual number has a function).

Unfortunately I don't know why it won't work with the throttle after you disconnect it from the computer/cable/BT and power cycle the system.

Does the software show the throttle input value changing as you turn the throttle?

amberwolf said:
FWIW, the "Motor Identify En" is probably Enable rather than Engle. ;)

I think it is a typo in the android app.
Because in their manual, they write:
"Please check whether the Identification Angle item is at 85 or not.",
and in the windows program it is spelled properly:

KellyManualExcerpt.JPG

(but there they misspelled "battery" :lol: )

I sort of think that the app version "motor identify en" is more likely to be a corrected version, because it makes more sense for that to be an enable label, than an angle label, as there is no angle there, either displayed or user-input.

If they used "identify angle" that'd be different, implying the control is for identifying the angle, but they use "identification angle", which doesn't make any sense for what it does. "Identification enable" would make sense, too....but like many technical translations something was lost along the way. :/

But as long as we can figure it out, I guess it doesn't matter what they call it. I just wish companies (not just Chinese ones) would employ a "real" translator who reliably understands all the languages they are translating to and from, and also understands the subject matter being translated--that last is very important with even slightly technical things to be able to get across the actual meaning. But it is rarely done. :(

Tpesl said:
Building a dirt bike with Kelly KLS 72601-8080I controler
Performed the initial "setup" by entering #170 in the "motor identify engle " and now the motor spins momentarily every minute or so but nothing else . The throttle doesn't work.
Not sure how to proceed.
Any ideas? please and thank you.

The kelly program is kinda simple and there are readouts for most of what normally causes trouble when hooking up a motor. I hope you didn’t run the motor while being in program as that is known to brick Kellys for good🤞

Does it show any error texts in program or LED blinking when it’s turned on?
Do you see the hall sensors status toggling when motor is turned by hand?
Does it show any changes in the throttle readout in the program when you turn throttle?

If you want help with the program then post pics of all the settings screens while hooked up and active.

See this "Motor Nominal Current" which I set to 1000.
Dont set it to 1000, leave it as it is I think its 80 something .

Attachments

• 20220924_185224.jpg
    20220924_185224.jpg
    653.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 20221002_161340.jpg
    20221002_161340.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 122
When you hover over that setting it gives you the limits that went from 0 to 1000 so it shouldnt blow up if you set it to anything within that range which is why I call it a booby trap.
Im avoiding Kelly for now as a friends Beetle project also smoked its Kelly during config for no apparent reason.
You can see down in the bottom corner in the left of the photo there are 2 fets that blew their tops off but also right up against the border possibly a MOV that blew, looks like a fuse.
I also had the same experience as tpesl when doing initial config. Set it to learn mode with the 170 thing, it jiggled the hub motor back and forth a few times then nothing, no throttle response.

Back