Killed my PING :'( Anyway to fix?

leew

100 mW
Ok, I will admit to doing something very stupid. I bought some PING batteries for a project. As soon as I received them I charged them all up to full so all the lights came on. However due to other aspects of my life, such as buying a house at auction and renovating that in all my spare time, the eBike project was put on hold for 6 months. For 6 months by batteries sat on a shelf and I forgot about them, yes, stupid I know. Anyway, two of my batteries seemed to charge up OK, cool to the touch during charge and no bad smells. However the third one, which had fallen to just 36v, not long after starting to charge it, it started to smoke. Thankfully I was watching it so instantly disconnected the charger. The battery was warm to to the touch but not excessively hot.
Anyway I have opened it up, and there appears to be 3 cell groups which look a bit suspect.
2 groups appear puffed.
It looks like at least one of the cells has leaked, what is the the liquid, is it hazardous and what is the best way to clean it off?
The end cell has a burn mark on it, I reckon this is where the smoke came from.
I was wondering, if I was to replace these groups, should the battery be ok? Ablit with some loss of cycle life and capacity.
Any advice on replacing the cells, they appeared to be soldered to little PCBs on the tops, I don't want to damage the good cells though.
IMG_20170504_222557616.jpg
IMG_20170504_222616035.jpg
Many thanks, lee.

What voltage and ah to lazy count. Get a peice of paper and write down the voltage of each cell group. Don't plug into charger before checking battery voltage and check voltage of charger as long as you have the meter out. Write down important.

Back