Li-Ion & LiFePO4 charging (one charger?)

FloRidaR

10 µW
I have 2 48v 15ah Lithium Ion batteries from the same seller on Ebay, one was clearly stated in the description as a LiFePO4 and the other one just said Lithium Ion in the description.

Both chargers that was sent with the battery from the seller are identical.

What I want to know is can you charge both batteries simultaneously from one charger if BOTH batteries have a BMS that protects against overcharging by turning off the charge port?

Also, what kind of long term effects would this have, if any?

The chargers are 52v 2a chargers.

Volts are volts, amps are amps.

You do not want to bring LFP up anywhere near as high a voltage as the other LI chemistries.

If charging together, first set your stop-charge to your desired LFP profile. When done, remove the LFP then finish the other-LI at the profile you want for that chemistry.

Undercharging does no harm, just sacrifice range, better for longevity.

Gross overcharge can easily burn down the house, and even slight overcharging if done frequently will greatly reduce longevity, if not immediately damage the pack.

BMS is just for failsafe protection, when the charger regulation fails.

Do not use it for normal cycling control of the charging process.

Never trust the readout of charge sources, nor cheap-chinese gear in general.

Use a DMM and ammeter to determine the exact behaviour of a cheap non-adjustable charger like that.

Save your pennies for a better quality one in future.

LiFe batteries use 3.2 volt cells. Other Li based batteries are 3.6. You will kill the LiFe batteries charging them at the way higher voltage. Make sure the chargers you received are set up to shut off at different voltages.

Ok.

This is all good info and I will take this with me. I greatly appreciate!!

However, these chargers are identical. They both stop charging with the BMS in the battery pack reaches its set voltage limit. I can use either charger on either battery and the function is the same. Verified with a multimeter, both batteries reach their BMS set voltage limit regardless which charger I use.

So my question was, can I use one charger to charge BOTH batteries simultaneously? Meaning, I split the output of the charger port into two ports that connect to both batteries. The BMS will shut off the current on one packs' charge port while the other still needs charging.

Right?

FloRidaR said:
However, these chargers are identical. They both stop charging with the BMS in the battery pack reaches its set voltage limit.
That is not a good idea, as stated above.

Some mechanism should be ending the charge long before the BMS HVC kicks in. That is supposed to be a fail-safe protection, only used when primary circuitry fails.

Plus killing the longevity of the batteries by going to a much higher voltage than what is healthy.

You really should determine at what voltage those "chargers" will stop at without a BMS in place.

In order of preference:

A. Get rid of both chargers and buy a good adjustable one.

B. Get rid of both chargers and buy a good current-limited voltage-adjustable PSU **and** (see X below)

C. Continue using those "chargers", but also

X. put in place an adjustable "battery protection" circuit that will terminating charging when your chosen Full point is reached. Some you can use timers as well as the battery reaching its voltage setpoint.

Obviously the LFP and non-LFP LI pack will have different setpoints.

You also might open the chargers up and ask for help in seeing if their setpoints can safely be adjusted.

Another consideration, with (B or C) +X options above, you are doing Bulk stage, aka CC-only, charging **to** a voltage then "just stopping".

This is likely to result in ever increasing cell imbalances, and again early EoL for the packs.

What you really want is to **hold** charging for Y minutes at the CV setpoint, aka Absorb stage, high enough and long enough for the BMS to finish its balancing.

Do you have access to measure the per-cell (or paralleled group) voltages internally?

With your 0.13C charge rate, I recommend setpoints of

3.40Vpc for LFP, and

4.05Vpc for the other

To prevent overcharging, stop before trailing amps gets down to 0.02A, earlier would be better.

If you double your charge rate to 0.25C by paralleling the two chargers going to one battery, then you can increase voltage to 3.45Vpc and 4.10V respectively.

but you should then stop before before trailing amps gets down to 0.1A.

All these are just illustrative examples, not cast in stone.

I do not advise charging 30Ah with a 2A charger, such a low C-rate makes overcharging too easy.

First, measure the voltage of each battery pack after it's been charged and has sat for a few hours.

If both are identical, then it's likely the packs are actually the same, and not different chemistries.

If they *are* different chemistries, but still the same Ah capacity and the same full voltage, then the LiFePO4 pack will be larger and heavier.

If they are the same physical size and weight, and the same full voltage and Ah capacity, then they aren't different chemistries (or at least, not Li-Ion vs LiFePO4).

If they are different voltages, but the same physical size and Ah capacity, then the higher voltage unit is probably the LiFePO4 unit (depending on the actual number of cells in series of each pack).

A "48v" LiFePO4 is 16 cells (or groups) in series. It ends up at just over 58v when full, when it's new. It'll end up as low as 52v when full once it ages enough.

A "48v" "Li-Ion" is 13 cells (or groups) in series. It ends up at just over 54v.

A "52v" "Li-Ion" is 14 cells (or groups) in series. It ends up at just under 59v when full.

In the latter case (14s), the same charger could be used on both packs..but I wouldn't recommend it in the former case (13s).

They are physically different sizes (assuming the same size cells). LiFePO4 is also noticeably heavier for the same size cells.

So there are a few ways you can tell the difference.

You can also measure the open circuit voltage of the charger.

john61ct said:
Some mechanism should be ending the charge long before the BMS HVC kicks in. That is supposed to be a fail-safe protection, only used when primary circuitry fails.
Not quite.

The BMS HVC is the normal way the BMS shuts off charging current during balancing. It's a perfectly normal part of the operation.

The BMS *LVC* however, *is* a fail-safe, and the controller LVC should be what shuts off the bike before it ever discharges the battery down to it's LVC. But that's unrelated to this topic. ;)

The charger itself should, of course, be just a high enough voltage to fill the battery, and generally should have a shutoff in it that cuts off charging current once it's dropped below a certain amount (usually for a certain amount of time). So under normal circumstances, it would end the charge cycle itself once the battery is full. (though the BMS may also have shut off charge prior to this).

The danger of using the BMS to end charging always with a charger that is too high a voltage, is that if the BMS fails to shut off charge for any reason (which can happen), the cells will continue to be charged, and the potential for cell damage and even fire exists. How bad it can be depends on how much difference there is between the charger voltage and the pack's actual full voltage, spread across the cells.

Thanks for clarifying.

If I worked with a setup like that then I'd require a backup HVC independent of the BMS.

I really don't like the way most BMSs handle balancing.

I have a 16s LiFePO4 pack and a 14s Li-ion pack that both charge at nearly the same voltage. Seems like it should be possible to charge them at the same time if the voltages match.

I thought I read on the forum about the cheap Chinese chargers can be the same charger, with the difference being the adjustment of a little trim pot that changes the high voltage cutoff. My charger has a label with little check boxes, mine with a check next to 52V, so I'm guessing I have one of those.

Adjustability is actually a great feature, worth paying more for.

The hard-coded units are often set higher than what's good for longevity.

And there are testing / maintenance protocols where the voltage should be higher or lower than what you want for daily usage cycling.

If 48V lithium battery pack, it should be 13s lithium battery pack, the 48V lithium battery charger voltage should be 54.6V.
If 48V liFfePo4 battery pack, it should be 15s LiFePo4 battery pack, the 48V lifePo4 battery charger voltage should be 54.8V.
The charging voltage is almost same, if the charging current is the same, they can be used for both battery pack.
The 48V lithium battery charger: The best 54.6V Lithium Ion Battery Charger

Back