Luke's new race bike build thread.

Gordo said:
150.jpg
No pedals, no sprocket, no chain, no brakes, but still a bicycle.
That depends on where you are: at least some places define a bicycle as having functioning pedals ("functioning" itself being defined differently in some of them).

Green Machine said:
Something like if you can ride past a cop and not get pulled over then its a bicycle.
Then even my contraptions pass, despite being heavier than the SB. :)

Green Machine said:
Not to be argumentative, but if were a cop (bad dream) I would pull over amberwolf in a finger snap and haul his ass off to jail....Luke I might pull over and ask him a bunch of questions like how much and how fast and then let him go ... :mrgreen:

Exactly what charge would you be hauling me off for, since both my bike and my riding are completely legal?

You'd be one cop that wouldn't last long, arresting people that haven't committed any crimes or infractions.

Makes me wonder why you're a moderator, if you have an attitude like that, of wanting to harass law-abiding citizens.

I just had the most enjoyable 1-1/2 hours, reading all 24 pages of this thread. I missed all this completely (need to got out of the Battery forum more often...), but what a hoot! Luke, you are absolutely amazing, but certainly certifiable. :roll: :mrgreen: I can't wait to see video of your impending nuptials to BM's daughter. It'll certainly top method's ebike/trailer ride to the reception. :eek:

-- Gary

recumpence said:
Speaking of weight;

The reason this bike is so freakin awesome is one thing---- Power to weight ratio. That is what makes a vehicle fast (yes, I know other things come into play like overall design). Once you max out the design and do your R&D it all comes down to reducing weight while retaining power. Luke's bike has only what is absolutely needed for speed (the pedals could go, though).

Let's face it, Luke is the wrong part of these equations. What are the power to weight ratios with Luke vs. a featherweight ebike jockey? Then again, Luke's bike might never have happened if Luke wasn't the rider. :mrgreen:

Cop: <smokey in mirrored aviators>What'cha smokin boy?
Amberwolf: What? There's something smoking? Where?
Cop: <rumaging around in Amber's "Panniers"> What'cha got in those cardboard boxes boy?
Amberwolf: Those are tubes to build bikes with and...
Cop: What'cha doing with that orange spray paint in there - have you been defacing...
Amberwolf: <Waves arm dramatically> These aren't the ebikes you are looking for
Cop: <speaking into his walkie> These aren't the ebikes we are looking for. On your way.
Amberwolf: <sound of electric motor receding into distance>

And on topic - Luke, you are my new superhero. You even have the costume.

-Warren.

amberwolf said:
Gordo said:
150.jpg
No pedals, no sprocket, no chain, no brakes, but still a bicycle.
That depends on where you are: at least some places define a bicycle as having functioning pedals ("functioning" itself being defined differently in some of them).

Green Machine said:
Something like if you can ride past a cop and not get pulled over then its a bicycle.
Then even my contraptions pass, despite being heavier than the SB. :)

Here is one for Luke, he can finally have a real "WOODIE" :shock: :shock: :shock:Wood Push Bike.JPG

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302735285&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442632425

I am interested to know what the HP numbers were to the rear wheel ? My understand from watching the videos is it was run on a dyno for testing?

How many AH was the lipo pack, It looks smallish 20ah? I would have thought range would be a issue once you start pumping out serious HP.

How many laps of that track could you get out of the pack I am guessing it lasted the race how many laps?

This bike Would have to be the best sounding electric bike to date. Love how it comes on song . Re mind's me of the power band on a two stroke bike or when Vtec cuts in on a honda motor. :D

Kurt.

www.recumbents.com said:
And on topic - Luke, you are my new superhero. You even have the costume.

-Warren.

First time i saw luke in that costume i thought the same thing...superhero...damn man...

I wish you guys could have seen it in person...Luke riding up that hill in that super hero leather garb...

I for one am really happy that Luke's hired gun..his 140 pound jockey professional rider for whatever reason did not show....Luke has the skills to ride the bike and he wouldnt have finished above 3rd anyway given other 2 bikes were 170mph super bikes...

Since he already paid the dues to be a ebike professional caliber rider i for one am happy he rode at Laguna Seca. Imo if he have the tanacity to build the bike plus the balls to ride it around a track like laguna he is a rare breed.

Hats off and well played. I say as i always have said...this thread is creating a well deserved electrified superhero. I am so happy this story did not end in the desert hole willow springs.

And i hope this thread does not end with this event and an over seas buyer :D

Thank you for the kind words guys. Yes, this pack was only 20Ah and 28cells 5Ah hobbyking cells in series. We charge them to ~4.35v/cell and run them right off the cliff when needed though, which yields a bit over 6Ah per cell, and true nominal voltage of ~3.8v, which means a usable 2.5kw-hr is on-tap if you're willing to destroy the pack to get it (and I always am).

I also agree this bike sounds damn good. When you're ripping around on it, it makes you always want to hit 50-60mph everywhere to make it start singing that F1-like sweet sound. My previous bike with #35 chain sounded like an annoying vacuum cleaner mixed with an electric chainsaw. Not super loud, but just an annoying sound to hear. The pink agni bike was just dead silent (I have no idea how it was so quiet, but the tire noise was the loudest part of the bike). This bike is my favorite sounding EV, just all good happy fun sounds that don't get old to hear.

recumpence said:
Speaking of weight;

The reason this bike is so freakin awesome is one thing---- Power to weight ratio. That is what makes a vehicle fast (yes, I know other things come into play like overall design). Once you max out the design and do your R&D it all comes down to reducing weight while retaining power. Luke's bike has only what is absolutely needed for speed (the pedals could go, though).

My hat goes off to you, Man!

Matt

Hey Green, how goes it? I need to call you soon and catch up! :wink:

Thank you for the kind words Matt. Your builds always impress the hell out of me by looking 20x nicer than anything I've ever built in my life. lol

-Luke

Greater than 85mph, don't know exactly.

With a simple re-gear and a decent straight section of road I'm confident it would exceed 100mph.

Wow! And what kind of range at say 50mph do you think you could get? With that battery of what? 20AH, right?

Whiplash said:
Wow! And what kind of range at say 50mph do you think you could get? With that battery of what? 20AH, right?

It's 20Ah of 28S cells, nominally ~2kw-hr, capable of 2.5kw-hr in the way we race it.

To put it in perspective, if you're used to dealing with 36v packs, it would be ~60Ah.

At 50mph it's at very light throttle just gently cruising along. Don't know how long it would last, but I would imagine over 30miles of 50mph cruising.

doesn't it piss you off to see you vid in the fail compilation? it pisses me off!!

anyway, huge congrats on the race!!

so now which is better, beating a 996 porshe turbo (19:19) with a honda, or beating motorcycles with your bike!?

liveforphysics said:
Whiplash said:

It's 20Ah of 28S cells, nominally ~2kw-hr, capable of 2.5kw-hr in the way we race it. .

Cool, so do you think a similar setup running at least 2kwh would be able to get that far then? I am hoping to get to build a REALLY Simple pedal-able motorcycle for my commute so I don't have to buy something, register, insure, and above all get a license for but I want some PERFORMANCE that I can't get from a simple bike build. I want something similar to yours but with a little different stance...

GCinDC said:
doesn't it piss you off to see you vid in the fail compilation? it pisses me off!!

anyway, huge congrats on the race!!

so now which is better, beating a 996 porshe turbo (19:19) with a honda, or beating motorcycles with your bike!?

Nope, doesn't bother me. I don't believe in the concept of owning 1's and 0's, nor the psudo-concept of intellectual property. Anyone is free to enjoy my videos and use as they please, I even host them with a creative commons licence.

I would have to say, smoking exotic supercars with a civic is more fun than beating electric motorcycles with a bicycle. Reason? The supercar guys didn't build their cars from scratch as many of the motorcycle guys did. I respect folks more who build their own creations they ride/race. :)

Whiplash said:
liveforphysics said:
Whiplash said:

It's 20Ah of 28S cells, nominally ~2kw-hr, capable of 2.5kw-hr in the way we race it. .

Cool, so do you think a similar setup running at least 2kwh would be able to get that far then? I am hoping to get to build a REALLY Simple pedal-able motorcycle for my commute so I don't have to buy something, register, insure, and above all get a license for but I want some PERFORMANCE that I can't get from a simple bike build. I want something similar to yours but with a little different stance...

Yeah, 2-3kw-hr is enough to get you around town at decent speeds and not worry about range. If everybody used 2-3kw-hr, nobody would even talk about range issues on ebikes. lol

I didn't make my bike look that long and goofy for fun. If you want to travel for extended periods at these speeds it's pretty important to be long and rigid (and use motorcycle tires). On my RC motor downhill bike (which tops out at 64mph), it's terrifying. The chassis is bobbing around and the wheelbase is much too short and the rider height is way too high and upright. It never feels comfortable above about 50mph (I still ride it at full speed, it just doesn't feel remotely safe or controlled.) With this bike, 85mph feels exciting, but solid and poised and not like it's going to throw you at any instant.

This bicycle actually feels quite a lot safer on the roads at speed than my KTM supermoto motorcycle, which feels insanely dangerous at 80-90mph. lol I think it brakes better as well, the KTM has awesome brembo's on it, but the suspension dive makes fast brake modulation more difficult than on the bicycle, where weight shift has no positional displacement so finding the threshold is effortless and roughly instant. You can literally go up into a 60mph stoppie on the bicycle in like 1 second, where doing it with my GSXR1000 or KTM's takes like 2-3seconds of feeling the suspension compress and weight shift as you roll-on brake harder until the tire lifts.

liveforphysics said:
You can literally go up into a 60mph stoppie on the bicycle in like 1 second, where doing it with my GSXR1000 or KTM's takes like 2-3seconds of feeling the suspension compress and weight shift as you roll-on brake harder until the tire lifts.

That's the stuff mate!! setup the gopro!! would like to see the braking capabilities of this beast from side camera angle :D

KiM

Bike is apart my friend. :'(

A bunch of folks at the event enjoyed my droopiest in the pit area though. Lol.

We even did some pedal-power-only-droopiest, and my bro Jamie was able to bunny hop the bike at full weight! (Only like 2in though lol)

liveforphysics said:
I didn't make my bike look that long and goofy for fun. If you want to travel for extended periods at these speeds it's pretty important to be long and rigid (and use motorcycle tires).

I know you wanted stability, I just plan on building it a bit different that's all, I know it needs to be long and fairly low center of gravity. I found a LBS here that has a really nice truing stand and builds wheels so I can have them put MC rims onto some decent downhill style hubs for me so I can use maybe some front motard tires or something. I am just throwing ideas around at this point but I really like the motor you used, I want brushless so I don't have to worry about them wearing out over time... which motor from them should I use in your opinion if I was to do it? I am guessing the 10K, but possibly over amp/volt the 5K for the smaller size?? I figure I need around 10K watts at least but I am not too sure yet, this big time stuff is new to me...

BiMoPed said:
liveforphysics said:
very fast AGK modified 6.5 hp HF motored bicycle at the Willow
Springs race on June 18th.
Anybody can put a sticker on a motor saying 6.5 hp.
But more seriously the funny part is you think luke gives a shit... If he really spent the time you guys did on your bikes you would all get lapped. Truth is he is busy with real motorcycle racing and not his own play bicycle but the actual race bike! I can't wait till I make the trip down to also turn laps in front of all you gas burning losers! :mrgreen:

Just an ol' guy musing in the afternoon... we are a right friendly bunch here, but we do stick together... just an observation in the making...

Back