Magnet wire for motor harness

John in CR

100 TW
I'm redoing the ridiculously small phase wires of my 9c, and I'd like to maximize the copper with minimal aggravation. I don't fully trust shrink tubing anyway, and trying to stuff 3 shrink wrapped 10ga wires plus the 5 hall wires seems like it will test my patience. I have a 18 and 24ga magnet wire already, so shrink wrapping 3 separately terminated groups of magnet wire, the halls wires, and 2 extra wires (in case I want to add a temp sensor later) into one bundle to go through the axle seems easy enough.

As long as I don't scrape through both the shrink wrap and the wire coating going in, and don't subject it to abrasion or flexing during use I should be good to go. Are there any pitfalls? I was planning to just slightly twist the entire bundle as 1 to keep it more manageable and shrinkwrap nicely, unless there's some electrical reason the 3 phases should be separately twisted as 3 groups.

What's a good lubricant for sliding the harness through that won't damage the plastic shrink tube over time? I recall someone mentioning silicone (I'd go with the type without acetic acid), which sounds like a good idea because it would form a seal afterward and this should be a once in this motor's lifetime thing, but maybe I should thin it a bit to be a decent lubricant.

I've already balanced the sadly out of whack motor covers, and I picked up some SKF bearings to replace the stock bearings that were so crappy I could actually feel tick-tick-tick turning each of the bearings on a brand new motor. Why go to the trouble?...The motor will be used as a ventilated mid drive running at 133V nominal and 75A. Even with sag the motor will see above 140V most of the time. elSteak was running his ventilated 9C at 90A without the heat getting out of hand, so with about a 2:1 gear reduction the higher rpm should make for low stress operation despite a 10kw input. Stator saturation may still be an issue at 75A battery side, so I may need to go lower, but my goal is to increase both motor efficiency and power by using the higher voltage. The higher rpm (I expect over 1krpm) will also make the centrifugal fan effect of the ventilated covers much stronger.

John

John in CR said:
What's a good lubricant for sliding the harness through that won't damage the plastic shrink tube over time? I recall someone mentioning silicone (I'd go with the type without acetic acid), which sounds like a good idea because it would form a seal afterward and this should be a once in this motor's lifetime thing, but maybe I should thin it a bit to be a decent lubricant.

John

Astroglide was originaly developed by NASA for exactly this sort of thing. :twisted:

I never heard of the stuff, so I looked it up. Where did you find that it was designed for lubing cable runs on the space shuttle?

Here's some info on magnet wire lubes, etc:

http://www.mwswire.com/faqs.htm#mw13

There should be a number of lubes out there that are designed just for the purpose you mention (or, for winding and de-reeling magnetic wire). The problem is finding it in quantities of less than a pint or quart.

Greenlee corp. also makes a "cable cream" that might work.

Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh said:
big, small.
thick or thin.
vaseline will get it in.

Sounds like a good advertisement for K-Y Jelly :lol:

KiM

Drunkskunk said:
Astroglide was originaly developed by NASA for exactly this sort of thing. :twisted:

by weird coincidence shortly after reading this i just happened to channel surf across a re-run of family-guy where they're on the set of a 'movie' shoot & stewie asks 'why does it smell like astroglide in here?'

John in CR said:
I never heard of the stuff, so I looked it up. Where did you find that it was designed for lubing cable runs on the space shuttle?

I was discovered by a guy doing the cooling system fluids for the space-shuttle.

Since then,it's been rapidly adopted as a lube of choice for umm... high chaffing type skin/skin situations. ;)

You wouldn't want any petroleum based lube on the wires, it would be prone to eating the insulation.

John in CR said:
As long as I don't scrape through both the shrink wrap and the wire coating going in, and don't subject it to abrasion or flexing during use I should be good to go. Are there any pitfalls? I was planning to just slightly twist the entire bundle as 1 to keep it more manageable and shrinkwrap nicely, unless there's some electrical reason the 3 phases should be separately twisted as 3 groups.

John

Should work out great my friend. :) Maybe some silicone caulk for lube, and then as it hardens a wire stabilizer to prevent the insulation from chaffing. Silicone would also improve the thermal transfer from the wires to the axle, which should further help to boost the robustness of the phase leads.

-Luke

liveforphysics said:
...Since then,it's been rapidly adopted as a lube of choice for umm... high chaffing type skin/skin situations. ;) ...

Yeah, I figured that one out. Only women for me, and I know how to turn them on properly, so it's never been an issue. 8)

John

Luke,

No axle cooling for me. First, I'm going to drill out the hole a little larger, so I should be able to squeeze a bit more than 10ga through. On the inside and outside I may add some extra strands and with the ventilated hub and outside air the copper itself should sink away more heat than through axle. If anything the better thermal connection might draw away heat losses in the bearing. 8)

This may be the wrong motor for overkill in addressing efficiency, since the laminations are .5mm thick vs .4mm on my bigger hubbies and .33mm on my scooter hubbie, but increasing voltage, getting rid of the axle seals, cooler running thru ventilation, and getting rid of much of the copper loss, should markedly increase the efficiency by more than the chain loss introduced. Plus I can reasonably run it at 7-10kw. :mrgreen:

An outstanding hub motor would be relatively simple to achieve that someone should do it soon. All it would take is the best and thinnest silicon steel laminations possible, hallbach arrays for the magnets (to greatly reduce the weight of the magnet retaining ring), optimize the copper fill, engineer a proper connection to the bike, and go to a greater number of phases. I'm sure some of that has been done for the new motor Team Hybrid is selling made by Falco, but based on the wholesale price quote I got for the Puma when they didn't even have a controller that would run it properly, I doubt the price is anything I would even remotely consider being reasonable.

John

I was discovered by a guy doing the cooling system fluids for the space-shuttle.

Finally, relief from the burden of wondering where the hell it was that you came from Luke! :lol:

Or, perhaps I'm misinterpreting. Were you discovered enjoying a particularly hot and chaffing-free "skin/skin situation" in the space shuttle's cooling system?

Back