• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Man builds self driving car

D-lo

1 W
http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2015-george-hotz-self-driving-car/
A few days before Thanksgiving, George Hotz, a 26-year-old hacker, invites me to his house in San Francisco to check out a project he’s been working on. He says it’s a self-driving car that he had built in about a month.

Anyone know this guy? Pretty cool.

That's extremely interesting- my mind started to blow about 1/2way thru trying to consider why one man appears more capable/persistant in going against/beating an Israeli company than all other companies, especially the powerful ones with vested interests

As far as diy self driving, could be really useful for a curmudgeony old rv driving around country at a boring pace (my case?)

As far as diy self driving, could be really useful for a curmudgeony old rv driving around country at a boring pace (my case?)

Indeed, I am with you there.

Finished the article. Truly interesting, if not slightly disturbing @ wrap up. Things could get pretty crazy.

Cute, but hacking a few percent of the problem is not solving the whole problem.
Hotz’s approach isn’t simply a low-cost knockoff of existing autonomous vehicle technology. He says he’s come up with discoveries—most of which he refuses to disclose in detail—that improve how the AI software interprets data coming in from the cameras. “We’ve figured out how to phrase the driving problem in ways compatible with deep learning,” Hotz says. Instead of the hundreds of thousands of lines of code found in other self-driving vehicles, Hotz’s software is based on about 2,000 lines.

I'm not sure to what you're referring- seems like he's rewriting the rules. I just find it hard to believe a lone wolf is more capable than darpa, google, Israeli's, etc.
Limits to just highway driving? With this level of ai and a cloud of data available I can imagine the possibilites. Probably each car with slaved ai to an overriding hive mind. . . .
Ohhhhh Crappp

It would really be a neat trick to pull that off strictly biologically tho-
wouldn't be surprised if that hasn't been discussed :x

Back