Micro-cars

Stumbled accross these, and thought that this would make a pretty cool electric conversion project. I wouldn't think that you could get this road-legal for driving in the US, but it's a pretty cool little 'car.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoE-7AEBDls

k-4.jpg

mitsuoka-k4-3_800x0w.jpg

As a NEV, it sure out styles a GEM car. Too bad we can't drive a nev just a tad faster, like 35 mph.

Hi,

[youtube]gOVccCSboSU[/youtube]

http://www.grinnallcars.com/content/home/scorpion_III.html
Engine
New or used BMW K-Series, all models: 1200cc 16 valve 130bhp+; 1100cc 16 valve 100bhp+; 1000cc 16 valve 98bhp+; 1000cc 8 valve 90bhp.
Motronic digital engine management.

Dimensions
Dry weight: 395kg. average
Maximum total weight: 600kg. including passenger and luggage.
Length overall: 353cm. (1200/6: 363cm).
Wheelbase: 270cm. (1200/6: 287cm).
Maximum overall width: 176cm.
Performance: 0-60 mph approx. 5 seconds (K1100).
Maximum speed: approx. 130mph (K1100).
Economy: fuel consumption 35-50mpg.

I prefer this one ...

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/triciclo-pompeo.htm

Those Grinnalls are pretty sweet. I've been looking around for a three-wheel vehicle that has an enclosed cabin (for inclement weather riding). The coolest one I've found so far is:

schmitt-60-yellow-01.jpg

The classic Messerschmidt KR200. There's a company in England that makes complete reproduction kits (or a full drive away complete car). I've been playing around with a 3D model to see if it would be feasible, and it looks like I should be able to get 9600 w/h worth of Headway-type batteries in the passenger compartment (without loosing the rear seat), plus plenty of room for more in the engine compartment.

Messerschmidtt.jpg

I've been online shopping for ideas on how to convert my (non-running) 1955 Messerschmitt KR200 to electric when I stumbled upon this thread. Maybe I'm not totally nuts after all!

I am toying with using a 10-inch hub motor on the rear wheel, but am struggling to decide on the right one. Kelly's has one on their site which has me intrigued, but they offer no specs (https://www.kellycontroller.com/shop/?mod=product&cat_id=16&product_id=387) I am looking for quick acceleration and maybe 50 mph top end (60 perhaps?). Decent range would be nice, too. :D (For reference, the finished car will weigh about 500 lbs., less the original 200 cc engine, plus batteries, motor & 2 adult passengers).

I had wanted to avoid cluttering the cabin with batteries and excess electronics, but after seeing Michael's great CAD renderings I may reconsider.

Since there is no shortage of strong opinions on this board, I'll throw it open to suggestions. If you were in my shoes, how would you do it?

Hi,

Electro-Schmitt said:
If you were in my shoes, how would you do it?

Welcome!

I'd start a dedicated thread with a descriptive title...

Electro-Schmitt said:
I've been online shopping for ideas on how to convert my (non-running) 1955 Messerschmitt KR200 to electric when I stumbled upon this thread. Maybe I'm not totally nuts after all!

I am toying with using a 10-inch hub motor on the rear wheel, but am struggling to decide on the right one. Kelly's has one on their site which has me intrigued, but they offer no specs (https://www.kellycontroller.com/shop/?mod=product&cat_id=16&product_id=387) I am looking for quick acceleration and maybe 50 mph top end (60 perhaps?). Decent range would be nice, too. :D (For reference, the finished car will weigh about 500 lbs., less the original 200 cc engine, plus batteries, motor & 2 adult passengers).

I had wanted to avoid cluttering the cabin with batteries and excess electronics, but after seeing Michael's great CAD renderings I may reconsider.

Since there is no shortage of strong opinions on this board, I'll throw it open to suggestions. If you were in my shoes, how would you do it?

I had considered the wheel hubs, but I just don't know that they would be up to the task. These particular wheel hubs are made for scooters - which are significantly lighter than the KR (plus batteries). And you would also need to manufacture a complete replacement for the rear swing arm, as these hub motors require mounting on both ends of the axle. I have seen a one-sided shaft hub motor (though they are not very common), but you would still need to replace the existing arm to make it work.

I was more leaning towards an AC induction type motor. I would mount it on top of the 'wishbone' support arm, and connect it via sprockets and chain to the existing drive shaft setup. One disadvantage (in my mind) in using a hub motor is that it would have a fixed gear ratio (1:1). By 'jack-shafting' the motor, you can play around with the gear ratio depending on what motor you get, how many amps & volts you'll be running, and if you need more torque or speed depending on your terrain.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to find any pictures of a KR without the ICE motor, so I'm unclear how things are connected back there. It looks to me like the motor drive shaft also serves as the pivot for the swing-arm. If you've got pictures, I'd love to see them!

The 3d Model is one I found on the internet for free (designed for Sketchup), and converted for 3DS Max. What format would you like?

Mitch: I've started a new thread ("Electric Messerschmitt project").

Michael: I'll take some photos for you and post them shortly. I'd be thrilled to get copies of your sketches as jpeg's or pdf's, anything that I could print out full size and write all over as I think this thing through.

Thanks for the input.

Back