My experience with Fardriver ND84530

neowizard

100 mW
So, if any of you have read my post about losing my old controller (Sevcon Dragon 8 ), you know Votol was a huge disappointment for me. However, my Fardriver ND84530 just arrived a few days ago and it's everything I hoped for and more. I got motor-spin as almost soon as I hooked up the battery, phase lines, hall sensors and throttle. I did have to disable the motor temp sensor in the app, since the controller expects 6 wires on the hall-sensors plug (V+, GND. temp sensor and 3 hall-sensor wires), and my motor doesn't have a temp sensor wire (from what I see, this is pretty common). Mind you, my motor is some unbranded 6kW, 17", 25kg mystery, so I was really impressed it spun without lots of configuring (the Votol EM30s failed to run it at all before it died).

I started playing around with the PC and Android apps at this point. All I can say is that it's OK. The Android app is solid enough to use (I heard reports of common disconnects, didn't experience nothing like that). The PC app is OK. Far from perfect (crashes every now any then, and sometimes it resets input values for no reason), but I was happy it worked out of the box.

The motor then started to beep two short beeps and then a long one, indicating it wants to run auto-learning. Took me a bit to get it to run the auto-learning process because I was terrified of letting my 25kg wheel run at unknown RPM on my janky test-stand. I kept setting the phase-current really low (~80A), or play with the throttle limits. That made the process fail to complete.

The way you run the self-learning is you hold the throttle open (not fully open, 50% seemed like enough), and let the motor spin up, spin down, stop (you need to release and re-pull the throttle here), reverse and so on. I was terrified it'll spin up to 3000RPM, fly off the stand and break something (or someone). After a while I grew a pair of Ukrainian balls and let it rip. It finished the self learning without breaking anything in under 1 minute (never passed 900RPM).

I've ran it since at 1500RPM (a little over 100km/h) to make sure it doesn't got ape-shit at high speeds. Next up, I'll assemble my bike back up, wire the controller into the brakes and other circuits and start testing it under load. Excited to get my bike running again.

Attachments

• IMG_20220215_233728.jpg
    IMG_20220215_233728.jpg
    1,003.5 KB · Views: 1,006
  • narrow.jpg
    narrow.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 1,006
Nice report, thanks

Those are some tiny ridiculous phase wires for a 6kw motor.... My 2kw motor phase wires are at least five times beefier. :shock:
Weird.

But as long as it works then it probably doesn't matter!

Dui said:
Nice report, thanks

Those are some tiny ridiculous phase wires for a 6kw motor.... My 2kw motor phase wires are at least five times beefier. :shock:
Weird.

But as long as it works then it probably doesn't matter!

This is just my test stand. Those are 1meter long 3.5mm^2 wires. They can realistically carry up to 30A continuously, and probably twice that much momentarily. I don't run the motor at anywhere near full capacity. It's a no-load, mostly low RPM test, and even that is only for a few seconds to test out my configs.

My actual phase wires are 2' of 4AWG :)

That is some motor. Should be fun. I've been eye up the ND721800. Only thing stopping me is that I don't know whether these controller can regen to zero mph? They don't have variable regen either do they?

Audisport09 said:
That is some motor. Should be fun. I've been eye up the ND721800. Only thing stopping me is that I don't know whether these controller can regen to zero mph? They don't have variable regen either do they?

I didn't turn on regen on my bike eventually. Wanted to play around with it first. Get a better feel of the controller before I get greedy.

I did test throttle-zero regen on my test-stand quite a bit (also tested brake-regen, but only briefly), and yes, it was very clear the motor was regen-braking all the way down to full stop. However, very little regen control. It's either disabled, throttle-zero or brake. There's also a "forward" config in the app, but I couldn't figure out what that did. Measuring all the lines shows the exact same values as "disabled"

Since my motor is such a strange beast, I'm limiting myself to what the original controller was capable of (400A RMS boost), so the ND721800 was WAY more than I'd be brave enough to try. I will say this, whenever I played around at 530A, the motor was itching to fly off my wooden test-stand (and once it actually did), despite having no load, being screwed in with its torque arm and the throttle being limited to about 30%. So, yeah, there's a lot of kick in it.

Back