My motor spins, but my wheel wont turn?!?!? SOLVED

Blackapple293

10 µW
After getting introduced into the hobby with my electric scooter, I decided to try and build this simple DIY kit.

My problem:
The motor wont turn the wheel. I hear and see the motor spinning, however the wheel doesn't turn with the motor.

I am aware that the 3 phase cables from the motor could be connected incorrectly, but am not sure because the motor is spinning??

The original video from JAG35, (vendor) and another person who built the same kit, they stated that connecting the hall sensor wires were not necessary for this motor, and the self learning cable when connected just made it act like the throttle was at 50%

the 3 planet gears are grabbing onto the wheel, and will jerk a bit when you touch the throttle.

can someone please point me in the right direction? :D

Here's a video of my problem, thank you for your time.

https://imgur.com/a/5HVNbIA
(please activate sound to hear the problem^)

If the motor spins but not the wheel, then it most likely is a geared drive motor. If that's the case, there are a couple of possible issues:
1. Clutch is slipping/not functioning
2. The motor is spinning backwards (clutch doesn't engage in reverse)

If the former, you'll need to open up the motor for further diagnosis. If the latter, then it's a matter of swapping some wire around
rotation.jpg

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum/kits/golden-motor-magic-pie/110168-testing-bldc-motor-s-phase-wiring-hall-sensors-and-wiring

Blackapple293 said:
My problem:
The motor wont turn the wheel. I hear and see the motor spinning, however the wheel doesn't turn with the motor.

it's spinning backwards inside; swap any two phase wires between controller and motor, or redo the learn wire connection once more.

amberwolf said:
Blackapple293 said:
My problem:

it's spinning backwards inside; swap any two phase wires between controller and motor, or redo the learn wire connection once more.

I missed that self learning part :oops:

E-HP said:
If the motor spins but not the wheel, then it most likely is a geared drive motor. If that's the case, there are a couple of possible issues:
1. Clutch is slipping/not functioning
2. The motor is spinning backwards (clutch doesn't engage in reverse)

If the former, you'll need to open up the motor for further diagnosis. If the latter, then it's a matter of swapping some wire around
rotation.jpg

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum/kits/golden-motor-magic-pie/110168-testing-bldc-motor-s-phase-wiring-hall-sensors-and-wiring

The motor was spinning backwards... :lol:

Thank you for your response, I have connected the self-learning cables and engaged the throttle to switch between forward and reverse.

After correcting the direction, the motor works flawlessly, and I have successfully converted my first ebike. :DDD

Thanks for your help, and thank you both for giving me good advice. I love endless sphere

Back