Need Advice - Convert an old Specialized Hybrid Bike

CorkBike

1 µW
Hi,

I am a total newbie to the eBike world, but what I lack in knowledge, I will make up in enthusiasm :D I want to do a DIY conversion because (1) I want to use my existing bike which I have had for 22 years, (2) a DIY job looks like it would be an interesting learning project for me, even though I am fairly clueless and have little bike mechanic skills (but I am a tryer) and (3) it is cheaper than a new eBike of similar quality and performance. I am based in the EU (Ireland) so I will be killed on tax and customs duties ordering from the UK or US.

My Bike: I have a 2000 Specialized Expedition hybrid bike. It is an aluminium frame, with CroMoly forks and 26-inch wheels. Regular linear-pull V brakes. Crankset is 22/32/42. Rear cog/cassette is 7-speed, 11 - 34 teeth.

Desired Speed on Level Ground: 35kph (22mph) max, 30kph (19mph) average
Desired max range at what cruising speed: 50km (31 miles) at 30kph (19mph)
Wheel size: 26 inch
Brakes are linear-pull V brakes
Rider weight: 75kg / 165 lbs
Terrain: mostly flat, some short hills under 20% grade
Budget: €750 ($800) (up to €1,000 ($1,100) only if it's really worth the extra)

[EDIT] I want to pedal as well, I'm not looking to be completely carried along by the motor, but is that even possible at 30kph? I'd like to get some serious help from the motor to keep me going along fast, but still be using some of my own effort.

So far, based on my limited research and understanding, I think I need:

A front hub motor 500W (but only because it's the easiest option)
A 36V or 48V battery, 15ah to 20ah
The kit to go with the above
(happy to be corrected on this)

What kind of all-in-one kit should I get? I'm wary of buying individual parts because I'll likely forget something and not even realise it. Also, Bafang seems to have a great reputation on EU websites and they keep stocks of kits in the EU which keeps costs down. Thanks in advance. :thumb:

Hub motor kits from Ebikeling and Topbikekit will also do what you want.

If you can get a kit with the hub motor not in a wheel, it will reduce shipping cost. Having a wheel built for you locally will get you a much better wheel than what comes with the kits from China.

Chalo said:
Hub motor kits from Ebikeling and Topbikekit will also do what you want.

If you can get a kit with the hub motor not in a wheel, it will reduce shipping cost. Having a wheel built for you locally will get you a much better wheel than what comes with the kits from China.

Thanks, that’s a new approach I hadn’t even considered! That’s why it’s great to get the benefit of this community’s experience. Appreciate it :thumb:

Back