OK, who rides a recumbent???

flat tire

100 kW
As we all know, recumbents look really weird. Some are cool, some are awkward, but most have one big performance advantage over a diamond frame bike which is reduced drag resulting mainly from the position of the occupant.

I've always wanted a recumbent, have ridden a highracer and liked it. In addition to being more comfortable for long rides, the 'bent should give me a significant edge in cruise speed / range. I'm thinking about fabricating my own frame by modifying a steel MTB frame since I TIG and good recumbent frames are incredibly overpriced. I'm debating whether or not to go with a smaller front wheel since I will be riding the recumbent off road to whatever extent turns out to be practical.

This thread is for anyone who rides, has ridden, or thinks riding an electric recumbent is AWESOME!! :D

My wife rides Burley Koosah 36 volts ping pack and I ride a custom built delta recumbent with a 44 volt battery. The Koosah has 12,000 km and the delta has 14,500 km.

We love e-cumbents.

Sorry I couldn't help.
There's quite a few of us here, many riding commercial ones.

Over 150 threads whose titles contain "recumbent":
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=recumbent*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Almost 900 threads whose first post does
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=recumbent*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=firstpost&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

The Bike-E might be the most common two-wheeler one here, the KMX would probably be the most common trike.

Some are even complete velomobiles; most of those, however, are rider-built.

Some of us have built our own 'bents, though; you can see two of mine in my signature links.

If you want to build your own, I would first recommend going to http://recycledrecumbent.com as it shows you how to build a clone of a successful design out of pipe and old bikes.

Another way is how I did it, with CrazyBike2, which has evolved over the years but is quite solid in it's present form (though heavy, as it is a heavy-duty cargo and dog hauler).

I built and ride an electric recumbent. It's fast, comfortable and efficient. Many more words and pictures on my website, link below.

IMG_20151206_134332.jpg

And then there is this:

Img_1407.jpg

-Warren

I have a bent, but seldom ride it. With my back injury, I can ride much farther if I spend most of the ride with weight on the pedals, not so much on the seat. Can't do that at all with the bent, and the lower back just takes a beating. For the same reason, pedal forward cruiser does not work for me.

Would ride a full suspension bent. Or at least rear shock.

Best part about a 'bent is comfort.

Since you are in a reclined position, it takes all the stress off your hands/arms/shoulders, you steer with your hips as much as with the "tiller" that isn't as solidly connected as a handlebar, but that is a good thing! On longer rides/daily commutes, you will appreciate less muscle soreness on the rest of your body.

I have a vision R-40, and I cannot speak to any other style, but it has been an amazingly comfortable "Lazyboy" on wheels.
(Short Wheelbase with over seat steering "OSS")

SUC50035-1.jpg

You can also configure this 'bent for a longer wheel base, and under seat steering "USS" (comes standard with the bike)

r40lwb.jpg

Best part is they are all over and very reasonable (on average $300 used as they are no longer made)

I use large balloon tires like Schwalbe Big Apples on mine:

39108784184_large.jpg

I would recommend that you look at some of the used ones available first as these are pretty non-standard geometry frames, and if you do build one, a great thing about ones like this Vision, is the full sized rear wheel, goes on just like any other 26" MTB wheel, with tons of options for IGH's and breaks and such, I had to add a aftermarket mount for the disc brake, but you could also weld on a tab to this cro-mo frame.

The most practical 'bent bikes for off road I have seen (2 wheelers) have been the Lightfoot Cycles' Big Foot:

201971.jpeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlgtut4d_Ow

(fast forward to 1:08 for some log climbing action)

I am a trained frame builder, and I think you will find, unless you're looking for the joy of the experience, building your own will be more expensive in the end because you will need to learn as you go VS a well refined design already out there.

Recumbents are generally more expensive because most are hand built for a smaller customer base that demands higher quality than mainstream, but you can find very reasonable used ones too.

I would go check out different models at a local shop and here is some good advice from Lightfootcycles on finding the best 'bent for your needs:

http://lightfootcycles.com/

I would also add, there are particular challenges building a recumbent as you will have it much higher or lower than a typical bike (higher in the case of my R40, lower with a delta or tadpole trike generally) but there can also be benefits such as much more options on where to attach a battery and or motor.

Easiest and probably best conversion for the average person would be with a Bafang BBSO2 or HD.

Talk to Rassy, he loves his, I got to check it out first hand yesterday! 8)

WoodlandHills said:

Very Nice set-up WoodlandHills!

Not seen that kind of suspension set-up before, is that your own design? Looks sharp! 8)

P .S .

One quick note b4 I head to work, one major difference with 'bents too if you are going to be doing a lot of off-road, there is a lot more limited "body english" options compared to your typical DF bike, you cannot "stand" on the pedals when you go over a bump, as you are pretty much fixed in your reclined position, BUT!

If you have a good set of balloon (Big Apples for fast pavement nearly the same as typical skinny tires) or fat bike tires (for sand, snow loose gravel) you're going to have all the suspension you need at normal bike speeds, go much over 20 MPH, and sure, you're going to feel the bumps more than a FS bike, and IF you plan to pedal a lot too, just remember, even with a lock-out, your suspension will always eat up some of your pedaling/motor energy that would otherwise propel the bike forward. :)

What ever you choose, be sure to post pics and share!

Also, once you try 'bent, I guarantee you'll have a hard time going back! :p

This is the one I normally ride in the summer:
IMG_0070.jpg

This one I purchased while living in PR China, I toured on it there quite a bit. Right now it is in the shop; in fact, I just got a call from them and will go pick it up this afternoon.
IMG_0189.jpg

This is the one I ride in the winter. It is in the process of being converted to a solar e-bike:
IMG_20150222_111329.jpg

Electric velomobile is as good as it gets, but it"s not a downtown ride. On city area two-wheeler is better. It"s pretty unique riding experience. You have to lean on corners like when sailing.
Turning radius is wide, you have plan your corners beforehand, you can not just go on corners without using your brain. Peoples first reaction is sometimes when they try it: i can not turn! i can not go anywhere!. Yes you can, you just have start to use your brains and forget all them two-wheel habits. Some commercial trikes do turn quite tightly though.

It is pretty hard for your back without suspension. Otherwise very comfortable. You get more than enough attention. To the point you just try to look like you are not interested to talk.
It"s bit rude to say people that "i do not want to talk", so you just try to look like you are not interested, trying not to give eye-contact etc. At first all that attention is fun, but after a while it just gets overwhelming. Everybody wants to ask same questions over and over and over again. Two newspapers and one respected car magazine has done a story about it with pics and all.
I have two sponsor deals hanging for it, they may turn to reality. four feet long stickers on the sides. A company gets lots of coverage with a velomobile. People photograph constantly and share it on the internet. Internet is now full of pictures of me. It"s a journey :) Something totally different than two-wheel cycling, on all areas. Sometimes bit demanding but never boring.

Yep, riding an electric assist recumbent is awesome. But I gave up riding two wheel bikes when I turned 70, about 6 years ago. I already had a delta recumbent trike and then purchased a tadpole. Now, I still not only get the electric assist grin and the recumbent grin whenever I ride, but also the trike grin. :D

So I say "try it, you'll like it!" no mater what version you go for.

Rassy said:
Yep, riding an electric assist recumbent is awesome. But I gave up riding two wheel bikes when I turned 70, about 6 years ago. I already had a delta recumbent trike and then purchased a tadpole. Now, I still not only get the electric assist grin and the recumbent grin whenever I ride, but also the trike grin. :D

So I say "try it, you'll like it!" no mater what version you go for.

I don't recommend that people try the Tadpole trikes. . . at least not unless they are ready to spend some money; because if a person tries one, they are going to want one.

Possibly--I tried one that an ES member brought down this way (sorry I'm braindead and can't remember his name ATM) and while it was interesting, I ended up preferring the SB Cruiser Delta once I got it set up right. (though the tadpole was way better than the Delta Tripper!).

I still plan to build the BarkFiet as a leaning tadpole, but it won't be a lowracer by any means, nor short wheelbase, and the main reason for two front wheels is to spread the load up there and to ket it remain upright without a kickstand/etc. for loading stuff up andn stopping at lights/etc. with wiggly giant dogs on board.

LI-ghtcycle said:
one major difference with 'bents too if you are going to be doing a lot of off-road, there is a lot more limited "body english" options compared to your typical DF bike, you cannot "stand" on the pedals when you go over a bump, as you are pretty much fixed in your reclined position, BUT!
Depends on the design of your 'bent. For ones like mine, I could pull on hte bars and "stand" on the pedals if I had to, though that's harder with the SB Cruiser than CrazyBike2, becaucse SBC has tiller steering, and CB2 uses remote steering.

If you have USS it's probably not possible as they are probably too far below the seat to give leverage to lift you off of it.

If you have high-up pedals, out in frontn of you or above the seat, it's definitely not happening. ;)

A suspended-mesh seat will be a lot more comfortable than a solid / padded seat, and wil conform to your body better most likely. It'll absorb the little vibrations and such on regular roads, and even soak up a fair bit of slightly larger bumps, though it own't do anything much for potholes and the like.

On the trike I use Shinko SR241 moped/mc tires on the rear 20" wheels, mostly for the durability but found also they soak up bumps WAYbetter than any of hte bicycle tires I have been able to try that didn't just disintegrate from the loads/roads.

ON the bike I'm still using a Maxxis Ringworm, but only because I couldn't get three of the Shinkos at the time (using smae rims on all the rear wheels of both). it's ok, but I'm pretty sure the SHinko would feel alot better on it.

Neither one has rear suspension because it complicated the cargo areas more than I wanted to deal with (though I have thought of several schemes for each one).

If I were to redo the trike I'd use 26" wheels (or bigger) on it and just sling the deck below the axles like I deid on the big trailer for Yogi (see the Raine Trike thread for this concept, too). That would probably give me the same or better ride over bumps/etc that the Shinkos do, and then even better if I find some of those that will fit the larger wheels, too. :)

Main reason I went with smaller wheels originally was better t orque in the motors at startup from a stop under the heavy loads theses are meant to move. If I used a middrive I might not need that, or just higher current controllers and possibly some cooling mods on the motors, since I have to start f rom stop many times on typical rides/commutes, dependiong on the route I have to take. (at least a dozen t imes in 2.5 miles for work commute).

Second reason was to keep the trike's deck low, but that was before I thought of slinging the deck under the axle, instead of sitting above it like "normal".

Just uisng regular dCST City on the front of both bike and trike, it's knobby on edges and slick in center, sticky but durable. 26" wheels on front, for better ride over bumps, curbs/driveways/etc.

amberwolf,

"you cannot "stand" on the pedals when you go over a bump,"

"If you have high-up pedals, out in front of you or above the seat, it's definitely not happening."

I have never had any problem lifting off the seat over bumps on high bottom bracket recumbents. Just straighten your legs slightly, and push your shoulders into the seatback. I come several inches off the seat from shoulder blades to thighs.

Ah, I hadn't thought ofo that type of maneuver. :) But if you need to come off the seat to use body english to maneuver would it still work?

amberwolf,

"But if you need to come off the seat to use body english to maneuver would it still work?"

Mostly you counter-steer. But you can use pedal-steer. Basically, you push harder on one pedal and shift your hips.

John Schlitter is famous in recumbent circles. He's done some dirt racing on highracers.

http://www.bacchettabikes.com/dirty-kanza-200-dk-200-riding-bacchetta-on-a-gravel-grinder/

I am going to go this route if I dont do as much offroading as I think I am with my Freeride Full suspension Bike. Do you guys think mid drives are the way to go on recumbent? Due to their length, weight distribution?

Solar2_2_small.JPG

This was my solar PowerCruiser. The panels have migrated to a trailer so that I can use them with all my bikes.

The Bionx system was upgraded to a 48V PL350 system and the old I2C system is now on the front wheel of my "Ranch" bike, a Mongoose Dolomite. Talk about a WASTE, a Bionx on the front wheel...but it was free ... so ... anyway, it is working quite nicely and has been for several months. There is no place on our 25 acres I can't ride and in monsoon (right now) it goes through mud that a golf cart can't manage.

For me, this powered Terratrike Cruiser is the perfect bike. It slides under the wind (we have a LOT of wind). It is comfortable for hours at a time -- it is the most comfortable chair I own. And with the Bionx system, it goes along very nicely. I ride it 7-10 miles a day for exercise. I just set the controls to double my effort and ride like a madman, charge up hills, fly down hills...lots of fun.

With 200W of solar panels, the range is effectively infinite at 14-15 mph on level ground. The bike can go WAY further than I can.

Amazing solar set-up Icerider!

Do you have pics of the panels re-mounted on the trailer?

I have always loved the idea of having a bit of solar to charge up a light, but you really seem to have a full tilt system there!

Wow, it's great to see so many recumbent users. Anyone have real world range / cruise figures (preferably at moderate - high speed)?

LI-ghtcycle said:
Amazing solar set-up Icerider!
Do you have pics of the panels re-mounted on the trailer?
I have always loved the idea of having a bit of solar to charge up a light, but you really seem to have a full tilt system there!

The two-panel tadpole design shown was essentially a prototype. The electrical system was well thought out but the mounting was just something I threw together over a long evening and then rode for several months. It was amazingly immune to wind simply because the panels were parallel to the ground. I took it on a couple of 40 mile half day tours in late summer and returned around noon with a nearly fully charged battery. It was also WONDERFUL to have a "shade" over the bike in the hot Arizona sun. It would make a fine touring arrangement and I have kept the mounting components set aside in the garage against the possibility that I ever do any real multi-day touring. Some of the early work on this prototype is at: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62700 .

ES member Busybee has a more finished two-panel touring design that I would copy if I did it again. See more on his design at http://www.soltechdesigns.com/soltech-solar-etrike/index.html

But ... given that my primary use for the bike was my early morning exercise rides, the two-panel design was impractical. It was nice to just leave the bike in the yard and know that it would recharge in the sun, but the panels were heavy enough to give the bike a resonant motion in the "roll" direction that wanted to couple into the steering of the bike. It was disconcerting coming down my long hill at 26mph. Nothing ever really happened, but the stability of the bike was definitely degraded at high speed and it took the fun out of riding that long hill. At about the same time, my brother mentioned that he had a bike trailer that he had never even taken out of the box and I became the "proud" owner of a junk steel bike trailer. So the panels moved onto the trailer. The arrangement on the trailer is the same as on the bike pictured. The panels are supported on the aluminum frame you can see in the bike pic. That frame is mounted to the top rails of the trailer roughly centered on the body of the trailer and hinged at the front end to tip forward to allow access into the trailer. The solar voltage runs to the bike on 14 gauge stranded copper wire. The boost-buck DC-to-DC module goes on whichever bike the trailer is attached to. The little solar panel shown at the rear of the solar array goes with the boost-buck module to power the cooling fan for the module. Using that arrangement, I am running the Chinese boost-buck module WAY over its published current and voltage limits. I even have a better boost-buck module that I will install when this one fails. A diode separates the solar system from the battery so if anything goes wrong in the solar system it will never draw any current FROM the battery. To move the trailer from bike to bike, I just unhook the electrical connection to the battery, and move the trailer and boost-buck module to the other bike. I tip the trailer toward full sun and set the no-load boost voltage to the desired maximum voltage for the battery and then shade the panel and make the battery connection. Eventually I will probably mount the boost-buck module to the trailer and just run the finished charging voltage to the bike.

But...since I am not doing any real touring, the solar trailer spends most of its time hooked to a little plug-in mains-connected MPPT converter that feeds the solar power into the house lines. In a couple of years, that arrangement will pay for the little MPPT controller, but it will NEVER pay off the cost of the light weight solar panels, those little suckers were expensive !!

Back