Out of winter storage and strange amp readings

Ham

10 kW
Hi All,

I am after a little help/refresher...

My build (cyc gen 2 motor and box mated to domino throttle, standard cyc torque sensor, CA3 and Castle Creations HV160) has finally come out of winter storage now work has slowed down a little and in my recommissioning of the beauty I have come across a weird one that my memory is struggling to recall a solution for...

The amps reading on the CA display suddenly jumps to 500-900 amps when I am coasting and the motor does not respond to throttle or torque sensor input until it either comes back to zero on it's own or is unplugged and re-connected. I have re-zeroed the amps in CA and checked all connections and they seem fine.

The bike has been in snug warm storage for about six months with no changes made to anything in that time and all was working just dandy last summer....any guidance for me please?

Many thanks

Richard

Hi All,

I am after a little help/refresher...

My build (cyc gen 2 motor and box mated to domino throttle, standard cyc torque sensor, CA3 and Castle Creations HV160) has finally come out of winter storage now work has slowed down a little and in my recommissioning of the beauty I have come across a weird one that my memory is struggling to recall a solution for...

The amps reading on the CA display suddenly jumps to 500-900 amps when I am coasting and the motor does not respond to throttle or torque sensor input until it either comes back to zero on it's own or is unplugged and re-connected. I have re-zeroed the amps in CA and checked all connections and they seem fine.

The bike has been in snug warm storage for about six months with no changes made to anything in that time and all was working just dandy last summer....any guidance for me please?

Many thanks

Richard
I had something similar occur randomly. For me it seem to have been a poor shunt connection.

Poor shunt connection is the only thing I've personally run across causing the wattage reading issue (it will also cause Amp and Ah readings to jump proportinally).

The incorrect shunt reading itself can cause the other problems if you have any form of limiting setup in the CA that relies on A or W.

Sometimes it's just oxidation on a contact in the shunt plug, and unplugging/replugging a few times clears it. (dielectric grease will then help prevent this in future).

Sometimes it's a contact backed out of a shell when it's plugged in, but looks perfectly fine when unplugged. Really easy to have with JSTs, harder with some others.

Sometimes it's a wire broken at the back of a contact where it's crimped or soldered.

And bang on the money, I worked my way through the wiring yesterday and found it to be what I assume is the power (red wire) from said connector was very loose. I have fixed that and no more over current readings...very good of you to reply , thank you!

I then spent the rest of the day re-setting all the throttle and PAS settings to dial it in more than before as it was always a little lacking in response for my liking...re read all the documents and somehow overlooked that the AGain and WGain settings need to be x 10 when you are in high power mode and now it is much better at 400 Again rather than 40.

Still need to try and dial in the fast rate and fast threshold setting to tune out some of the initial "snap" of power...currently set to off as previously it would just cause very dangerous surging.

And then finally the PAS torque threshold which seems to do nothing as it stands, set to 40nm, from my understanding that means the PAS should not be active when moving unless it senses at least 40nm of pedal force...

Overall I am still very pleased with the lunacy of this thing, even after this long with 5kw mid drives :)

Back