|Pen E-Board| Smallest E-board ever|Friction Drive|

Papertripping -- great photo. What did you use to make that?

On the ESC side you will need to match those red for red and black for black. Same as when you charge too.

You should wire in an EC5 or XT90 loop connection for an on/off switch. You can wire on the black or red side right before the battery.

Kickr motor weighs about a pound. Not exactly a small motor cause it's so long. It's 1.5-2x more powerful than a 5065.

Kickr on a penny board is possible, but basically suicide. If you are going to use the 5065, I would go for a higher strand count (lower turns/higher kv). The 5050/5060s aren't worth messing with imho for friction drive or serious belt driven eskateboards, unless you double up.

OK!!! So I've finally completed the build.......and......DONE THE FIRST TEST RUN!!!!!

Pen E has surpassed all my expectations!!!!!
The Pen E is crazy fast!- I haven't gone above 60% throttle yet (cuz i'm shit scared)!! but i will soon, once i get a better hang of it- and after 20 minutes of non stop running- the motor is barely hot to the touch- and the Lipos still have half charge left!! ...and also the motor almost never slips (so far)
See for your self !!! it's crazy!!! (do watch both videos!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDypyeZlwwA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PA2-93DneE

Too excited now- will put up more detailed posts shortly! :D

Awesome guy...
congrats on pulling this off.
:D

torqueboards said:
Congrats on the build! Looks great!

How's the board on start up as well as uphill?

The board has enough power to startup from standstill (without motor slipping) with all 132 pounds of me. I'm not sure if it will do the same for someone in the range of 180-200 pounds.
I haven't tested slopes yet.- will be testing the Pen E thoroughly in the coming weeks. I've even asked my friend to bring over his longboard- so i can hook up the friction drive and test on other skateboards aswell!- It shall be EPIC!! :D

The whole device feels very sturdy and reliable with loads of power!!- crazy acceleration!!!

hillzofvalp said:
Looks fast. How much have you ridden it? Any issues?

Sorry i've been busy at work and not got the time to really test the board and post details here

however I did manage to get away from work for a bit today- and did a quick run for a few minutes with the Vidometer app (running on my iphone)
According to the app I touched 17mph- with the throttle squeezed 70%. still not confidant enough to push the throttle all the way to 100% yet - The motor and all other components remain cool to touch instantly after a vigorous run.

But yea......17mph!!!- Will post more videos and details soon.

Time to change the title..
looks like you no longer need help
Good job
:D

Hi just in the process of building a friction drive board.... How have you attached the mount to the axel? is it just threaded steel tube? not quite decided the best way to do it yet.

Many thanks

great work! i like this build, im thinking my first build will be similar. im interested in the mount also and any other pics you may have of the mounts.
I registered thanks to your thread (and so many other great threads on ES!)

cheers!

papertriping said:
haven't gone above 60% throttle yet (cuz i'm shit scared)!! but i will soon, once i get a better hang of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDypyeZlwwA

Love the dog chasing you at the end! :lol:

I don't blame you wanting to be cautious with the throttle. Having recently discovered just how scary 18mph can be on a stand up e-scooter, I can imagine that the same speed on your thing would be pretty hair-raising too! :shock:

Since you are driving the wheel using the outer diameter of the motor as a friction drive, you must have a system that prevents the power wires from becoming tangled due to the rotation of the motor. Please describe this system.

masterofnow said:
Since you are driving the wheel using the outer diameter of the motor as a friction drive, you must have a system that prevents the power wires from becoming tangled due to the rotation of the motor. Please describe this system.
oh! 1st post?
I guess you don't mind if I say "hello" and "welcome", I think it's called "good manner"
and good luck with your concern regarding risk of tangled wires.

Back