Post your Pets here!

twin_pets.jpg

And they're twins......

Mmm! A nice set of jugs always enhances a good pet :)

I keep wet pets. The fish are just there to complete the eco-sytem, the corals are what I'm into.
tdts2.jpg

sharkegg.jpg

luketank.jpg

tankend800cz3.jpg

Belle on the left and Cloe on the right. They were shelter dogs so we don't know what they are as breeds, and they are likely mixes. Belle has a hard time softening a leather chew, so she often jumps on the back of the sofa, looks outside and begins barking at invisible intruders.

Cloe will run out the doggie-door,...and then Belle is safe to take Cloe's already softenend leather chew, and hide under the sofa where Cloe can't reach her.

Attachments

• BelleCloe2008.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,903
I don't do a good job of photographing objects that are best seen in motion (i.e. my bike or my dog.)

So apropos my handicap, behold:

[youtube]b1zp5LGDvLs[/youtube]

Oh, I got longer ones too. We'll hit y'all with them soon enough.

Oh. We all love our dogs.
Here was Petey. He found -me- and asked,
"can I come live with you guys?"

For twelve years he was here.
He died in Ernie's arms, suddenly,
but expected: kidney failure.

Videos of Petey, the Great. Zoot, to know just one dog,
is to love all dogs; this you know.

Pardon this...string of videos that many of you cannot view?

"We" start with a video I had not seen for nearly twelve years, since it was made.
You'll meet Petey...and a younger, stronger-me:

[youtube]rpMLYI0XG0A[/youtube]
In January of 1998, I had the opportunity to visit vintage theremin expert Reid Welch at his home in Florida.
During my short stay, I shot three videos of Reid describing and demonstrating some of the tube theremins in his collection.
The theremin in this video was built in 1937 by Philip Stout.
That's "Petey" the dog in the background, sitting on top
of a beautifully restored electrical mechanical violin and piano machine called a "Violano Virtuoso"
(this was another of Reid's fascinating restoration projects).

Now we fast forward. Petey is not so well; he's seventeen, but still a pup,
kidneys failing, we knew it would not be too much longer before a crisis.
First, The WWII original condition (nearly) NAZI-made SIREN demo (since sold to a chap in Oz)
[youtube]2dX2eDZylYk[/youtube]

And then, the Crisis. He is not afraid.
[youtube]WNbylLdZkqw[/youtube]

:oops:
(hear the laboured breathing?)
[youtube]kgVkCWDZx1g[/youtube]
Ill, renal failure, dog falls asleep,
four nights before the end.

=Home nursing care gave Petey six extra weeks.
=There were no worries nor complaints ever from Petey.
All dogs are so noble.
Category: Pets & Animals
Tags:
canine renal kidney failure

Music for the finish? Two thousand hours expended in restoration
that I had done before Petey joined us in August of 1995;
this video dates from January of 1998. I am forty three years old here:
[youtube]l11_-Eef0U4[/youtube]

To close with a tear. :cry: My dear friend, Clara Rockmore once kept a dog.
And she plays a requiem piece that you all know, "The Swan".

Dog gone
, is simply The Swan,
just...out of water; you see?
[youtube]pSzTPGlNa5U[/youtube]
ca. 1975, video by my friend, Robert Moog,
inventor of the Moog Synthesizer,
and Clara's closest, truest, latter-life friend

Mario is my friend always
because...I just don't give a rip anymore who knows what of who I know or what I ever did.

I AM A DOG. AND A DOG IS A PROTECTOR OF ALL THAT IS DECENT AND FORGIVING>>>>OF ALL THAT IS FORGIVING

FIN! but not the end!

----

the many edits are the usual: not of anything important, but just to correct
the many blurry-eyed typos and dyslexo-stuff that I am notorious for committing in the first place.
I try to correct all errors in time. There is not enough time, though.

Lady, who passed away at around 12 or 13 (don't know exactly), a few years ago:
View attachment Lady1.JPG
She was probably the best dog I've ever had; much more like having a smart kid than a dog. Part wolf, part something else (they said Samoyed at the pound, but I don't think they actually knew; I think it might've been Pyrenees instead). I wish I had more pictures of her. I won't give much description of her here just now because I'll go on and on for pages and pages if I do. :(

Bonnie, the Border Collie (mix of something), found on the street by someone, choking and gasping because she had outgrown the collar she was still wearing, but too boisterous for the first two families that chose her from the Humane Society, so they both returned her, and she was on her last chance when I found her there the week after Lady died:
View attachment 8
View attachment Bonnie_hates_sitting_for_pix_(small)-1.JPG

She's around...7 or 8 now I guess. Porked up a little due to Mom feeding her everything under the sun all day long, but after Mom passed away 3 years ago, Bonnie lost some weight (not enough), but still complains to this day that she wants her cheese for coming back inside. (She used to go out and run back in to see if Mom would give her more cheese, too, and sometimes she would, which only made it worse). Smart smart dog, and very adorably cute. But heavy. :)

(Wini)Fred was found by some people in a parking lot, with a hurt paw. They never found an owner, so they adopted her but she was too much for their other dog and they had a baby on the way, too, so I got her thru Freecycle last July. Bonnie wasn't terribly happy about that--she'd been an only dog for a long time, and used to being the center of attention whenever she felt like it. Plus she didn't at all like Fred actually getting to eat food that she figured *she* could have had. ;) Worked out, after a while.
View attachment FredsDemonSideComesOut.JPG
View attachment FredSleeping.JPG
With her kinda cute, mostly smart (when she chooses) but often devilish behavior, she earned the name Fred based on WiniFred Burkle from the series Angel, mostly due to the demon-posession part. :| She was originally named Betsy when I got her, but she didn't respond to that name even at the place she came from, so I just started making sounds at her till I found one she'd always respond to, and it sounded kinda like Fred, so Fred she became. She is pretty hyper, and very sensitive to sounds. Not a yapper, but she has to go see what every little noise is. If I didn't run my white (gray) noise setup and/or a box fan for sleeping, *she* wouldn't get any sleep either. I don't know what breeds she is. Some guess Miniature Pinscher and Aussie Shepherd, but I really don't know.

Then half a year later, Loki needed a home. Some people that do rescue and security dog training got some dogs that had been abused, and this poor guy was so bad that all he would do is cower in the corner of his kennel and wet himself if anyone came by. He never tried to bite or even growl, but he would do his very best to not even be touched, and would run away from anyone if he could. Yet, he actually let *me* pick him up and carry him to the friend's truck so we could get him home, and rode all the way in my arms just acting as if he really really wished he could be down on the floor under the dash or something.
In these two pics, he's been with me for a couple months and has gotten used to Bonnie. It's not a posed pic, I just happened to have the camera in hand for some bike pics, and there they were....
View attachment BonnieLoki_IWubYou.JPG
View attachment BonnieLokiHowDoIGetOutOfItNow.JPG
I really don't know what kind he is, but he *moves* like a wolf, like Lady did, not like a dog. He also likes to act like a cat, too, because he sometimes hops up on the couch or something and puts all his limbs invisibly under him, like "hovercat". That goofy face of his is funny when he goggles his eyes at me, but I never get a pic of either of those--he moves too quickly. He's very smart, but very shy. Doesn't sound much like a dog most times, either--his bark is quite strange, like he is surprised when the noise starts to come out. :) Very vocal in a mumbly big-kitty sort of way, though, in his little grumbly vocalizations that aren't growls or grunts or anything else I can really name. He's still afraid of most people, but he's well used to me now, and prefers my company to hiding.

And now there's Nana, who I've had for a couple of months or so. She's a St Bernard, supposedly a purebred mix of short and long haired versions, according to the guy that was going into the armed forces within days and had to find a home for her (I guess the people arranged with had all reneged on their arrangements, and his parents would've just taken her and put her in the pound, where these days she probably would not have made it out alive, being so big and very boisterous, and somewhat aggressive towards other dogs). So, thanks to a friend of a friend kind of thing, I ended up with her:
View attachment NanaHappyFaceDayTwo.JPG
She's pretty big, but only a year old, so will get a little bigger. Her legs are as big around as my forearms, and her paws unspread are as big as my palms. I think she is almost as big as Lady was, just about. Might almost be as smart, too. Very loyal, very loving, loves to snuggle up. All the other dogs always prefer sleeping at the foot of the bed, maybe on the floor if it's hot, but not Nana. She wants to sleep right next to me, pretty much like Lady often did, except Lady always curled up nose under tail, and Nana sprawls out like an exploded pillow.

The gang, before Nana:
View attachment SleepyTime1-1.JPG

The gang after Nana:

(sniffing after five retouch-edits to my reid-epic posting above.

i read the beautiful posting that followed.

sir: I have never met a dog that was not to be my friend, "tamed", inside of two minutes.
ALL DOGS are empathetic (chihuahuas may be an exception) and all dogs FEEL our feelings, as if by some sort
of spiritual connection. This is why DOG is man's best friend, and vice versa.

Cats? I keep a cat. It is a cat. It is not a dog. It is not noble.
When it dies, I will mourn...for about two hours, only.

But Petey, Barney, Spookie, GEORGE:
ReidontheleftGeorgeandabadbigbrothe.jpg

reid on the left...estranged bad brother on the right.
OH, George! The vet KILLED YOU BY ACCIDENT one month later:
DDT, too much, to de-louse the kennel runs; we left him there in safe-keep for a weekend, when we went to visit a grandmother.
George...remembered....George cared. George died unfairly, unnaturally. Fifty years don't dry my tears.

POINT: every one of us here who has kept a dog is a great person, no matter what wrongs they may ever have done.
For the DOG is the most wonderful companion and keeper of our souls.
Oh, so true. And I am excessively empathetic.
I "feel" (not really), the thoughts of every dog and every human who is saved by his or her dog. It hurts, this thread, now.
Must log out now. Sorry. :cry:

Nana's new additions...possibly even new editions.

Puppy number one, about two and a half hours old now:
dsc01896.jpg

Number two (with one also in the shot), about an hour younger:
dsc01897.jpg

Number three (on the far right by her front leg), about 20 minutes after the second one:
dsc01901.jpg

I think Nana's still working on more, but I don't know for sure. It's harder to tell with her than with the border collie we had in Texas. FWIW, she seems to have come preloaded with them, as she was just at the tail end of her estrus when I got her, and where she came from she was free to romp with other dogs there (no idea what kind, except that I doubt they were chihuahuas or other toy breeds, for certain anatomical reasons). So these puppies are part St. Bernard and part something else. Possibly each puppy could be a *different* something else, if there were multiple males there, though that's not that likely (it does happen).

So far Nana is kind of getting this whole mother thing, but she is only a year old, so she's made some mistakes. The first two she thought she had to go potty so she went outside, then when they plopped down she turned around and had this aghast look on her face, each time, then did the usual mother stuff (while I tried to look away and unsuccesfully hold in the snack I had eaten a bit earlier). She didn't know how to carry them back in; when the first one whined as she tried to pick it up she just stood there looking at me, so I held out my hands and she dropped it into them, and trotted inside, so I followed her to the corner she'd picked and put the blankets I'd already had ready down there, and put the puppy down for her to figure out, which took a few minutes.

About 45 minutes later her labor must've started up again for number two and she insisted on going outside again and did a repeat performance of the first one.

The third one came shortly after she laid back down nursing and cleaning the first two, and she just let it come instead of trying to get up.

Now it's been an hour or more with signs of labor pushing, periodically, but no result yet. About 10 minutes ago she dozed off with the puppies quietly nursing.

Some video of each one within a few minutes of being born:
http://www.blogger.com/img/videoplayer.swf?videoUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fvp.video.google.com%2Fvideodownload%3Fversion%3D0%26secureurl%3DqAAAAEbqiT-pXmimn7VDny7-dKoJ3_WWHKVACzx0PKufXmfo35aZtILoAd3dDdRW7SdQeTNJ5ZYWiN95R3Y06cFrSoZB7JjlYY4Ej7otzhnxpmH-xK0KQgb4-by8O4SaetUet8DYm_WJK7tBW_1AZEvPIMGt1ug-OYopB5vPvfUiP4iXJ2qD9pIRZJ-RNz_zXJBRlJksrOq5HNS3z8c3nOfiQCm-063bWwZ3cvumxW_MaBeE%26sigh%3DkOALQ1w70GknFWawWA12uN9eIrM%26begin%3D0%26len%3D86400000%26docid%3D0&nogvlm=1&thumbnailUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fvideo.google.com%2FThumbnailServer2%3Fapp%3Dblogger%26contentid%3Def43b1089333bb5f%26offsetms%3D5000%26itag%3Dw320%26sigh%3D2qmEUJ-YOsurmJsYsJzNiUjw9AY&messagesUrl=video.google.com%2FFlashUiStrings.xlb%3Fframe%3Dflashstrings%26hl%3Den
http://www.blogger.com/img/videoplayer.swf?videoUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fvp.video.google.com%2Fvideodownload%3Fversion%3D0%26secureurl%3DqAAAABjzXX0P2a8vxnDt-OvRPGCgQ3fgRsLkq7RG1Y0hVJpcyQ3deTB8P6ltnMtqiLmH3DbyyveJEeVHh7oXRM2W9UQRuU2g594hin-TH5a6sgguIQmbmoG2W8g4BSMIJGPeeqbBo3gnZSmENeh8ongG2ywsN3agqE7uW0joh7_zCQ25CnowHg_xOAFtd5T1m4j37sWnrpW9fVzVkIsl1FjPNDjJpFAnAt3P6T4Is9LNtsFx%26sigh%3DYs4wjSEtVqao-NEBrYHygDrxHMI%26begin%3D0%26len%3D86400000%26docid%3D0&nogvlm=1&thumbnailUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fvideo.google.com%2FThumbnailServer2%3Fapp%3Dblogger%26contentid%3Dd11ff29dcaa1a3d4%26offsetms%3D5000%26itag%3Dw320%26sigh%3D6R0VB6ISlu1EE7WBHKu69jWnplQ&messagesUrl=video.google.com%2FFlashUiStrings.xlb%3Fframe%3Dflashstrings%26hl%3Den
http://www.blogger.com/img/videoplayer.swf?videoUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fvp.video.google.com%2Fvideodownload%3Fversion%3D0%26secureurl%3DpgAAAKXn9zyzXTyW6NoE_4ojujpMSoeB1tnHUKBHxeyoPU9vGUTIG8JuyxoYuGf9r1yPncgCmkh2l9PEobef8VKpHISWCT5-eGpEGyqNFBmtAOWtubuy-AnJSUtpjcFAtIh9xqxnYbM5WLFfB6wpDwAOfIiKMLSoaipbteg6IWS3AArZHT7ew_s6kkwpA3zgi26RN3Clc8zcFh3LDEqb98JKXOT7gyH6oC6qGjzHucM3CWM0%26sigh%3DCbL81FB9n9YSMohE6LOB1ujpEj0%26begin%3D0%26len%3D86400000%26docid%3D0&nogvlm=1&thumbnailUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fvideo.google.com%2FThumbnailServer2%3Fapp%3Dblogger%26contentid%3D3139540375eaf8c%26offsetms%3D5000%26itag%3Dw320%26sigh%3DffP7QvvuERFK9ITGmSbzdzy43TI&messagesUrl=video.google.com%2FFlashUiStrings.xlb%3Fframe%3Dflashstrings%26hl%3Den

That's great, warming, beautiful, above.
I just can't stand the thought: dogs are short-lived humans.

It's the eventual loss that I can no longer bear.

Barney came to us at his age of sixteen.
Owner of the wandering, tottering, old dog, said:

"Keep him if you want. I'm gonna have to put him down;
too old and too sick and I'm busy at the University, and my Mom just died,
and my dad died last year, and Barney is...I can't care for him. Keep him?"

Barney lived for four and one half years longer.
He lived for fully twenty years.

It's the loss of these -people-, that just devastates me,
thinking how many are destroyed, or birthed without homes to adopt them...

Barney at age eighteen or nineteen, before his natural decline made euthanasia necessary:
IMG_1311.JPG

He learned here how to climb stairs.
It was the descent that was his great, daily challenge;
the steep stair and his deer-like legs, all gone by Time, akimbo;
see, he is thinking which arthritic fore-leg to punish first;
which way will hurt the least? Often I carried him down the floating, curving, impossible-thing , impassable, to Dog,
but he soon learned: it is a sort of mountain-thing...and...to climb? He always insisted to do that;
one...step...at...a...time.

IMG_1301.JPG

...you know...They never complain of pain.
They may whine a bit when impatient or wanting a deserved reward,

but,

dogs never complain of their natural pains we know that they feel.
They will yell if stomped, but they won't whimper if hurting due to natural causes.

Remarkable is Dog.

Call me "Cyndi", she insists; but, address her verrrrrry carefully,
from a safe distance, with body armor on your every side, and crotch, if you are wise.

BTW, I "know" Steve by correspondence.
His Cyndi is the star of many a funny YT video.
She's..not me...but....sort of like Barney Fife in his "nervous twitchy" mode...
sort of something like that, but melded with Norman Bates.

Well, if you have video, you have here a video to remember.
And do see the others in the series? Do not die, please.

[youtube]K41nfi8OmT8[/youtube]

amberwolf said:
The first two she thought she had to go potty so she went outside, then when they plopped down she turned around and had this aghast look on her face, each time, then did the usual mother stuff (while I tried to look away and unsuccesfully hold in the snack I had eaten a bit earlier).

Laughing. Hard.

Reid Welch said:
His Cyndi is the star of many a funny YT video.

729_1242618977342.jpg

Guess a few pics of Finley now that I've posted couldn't hurt...

DSCN1335-1.jpg

DSCN1336-1.jpg

DSCN1352.jpg

Foodie, lazy (really needs a friend to play with...hmm...), and needs to drop a fair few pounds, but I guess he's a pretty cool guy eh sleeps all day and doesn't afraid of anything. Except me leaving and not coming back, which I think he's getting over...

Ah, the beautiful fellows and girls above!
Every one, I'd love as a life-partner.

I wonder if YT has some videos of great dogs of the past?
Not our pets, per se, but they were famous keepers of the peace of the past...
and would truly work for their supper! Amazing. And HE knows the drill, in five minutes no fool here:

[youtube]4ef7DuPJ0Xc[/youtube]

grind that mash! we are gonna make whiskey via dog power!
or churn the butter, if mother must insist. Need....more....sausage!

I can sure relate to how Reid feels about dogs! It takes me weeks to crawl out from under my depression when I lose one. I have to admit to self-destructive thoughts in recent years, but just the thought of leaving my little fur-girl (Sierra) on her own to re-adjust to a new home (hopefully!) kept me going. She has extreme separation anxiety, and just an hour away from me sends her into a frenzy! All of the non-food/medical places in town know her and even keep treats for her when we walk in. She is also certified for entertaining children and elderly in homes. I am currently getting her certified as my working dog to warn me of my heart "onsets", so she is more than just a good dog to me; she is LIFE to me! Unfortunately, she is 11 years old, but fortunately the vet says she's like a 5 year old, so I should have her a long time yet. My S.O. is a shrink and is afraid of the day I lose Sierra! Me, too!!!
I can't ride my trikes without Sierra with me, and when Cindy pulls the trailer, I HAVE to stay behind her, or Sierra starts howling like a coyote at the moon! She and I frequently howl with each other until her little mouth takes that typical shape that coyotes do when they stick their snoots in the air and cry at the moon! I don't know what we talk about, but she sure seems to! She also likes to be carried all day like a baby, over my shoulder.
Reid, we are brothers in spirit about dogs!

4056496476_66819e7792_o.jpg

2314674453_ccf3c50bb3_b.jpg

2314694723_fe239a0aa5_b.jpg

Lucky's Halloween costume:

Attachments

• LuckysCostume.jpg
    LuckysCostume.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 2,900
I found out this week our cat has the FIV. Stage 3. Booo! Got him as a stray about 10 years back, our first child really.. sucks. Awesome cat, never damaged one piece of furniture, never attacked younguns even times he should have.. He's dropped over half his weight recently, but seems in good spirits.

vanilla ice said:
I found out this week our cat has the FIV.

Wait, what? Do I not know what that means or is there really a cat version of AIDS? ô_o

Thank you.. I'm still in denial. Link I had never heard of this either, I guess its pretty common. What a thread buzzkill eh. He's been indoors all these years so he must have caught it before we found him.

Well tonight he had whole milk, salmon, ice cream, and mackerel. So know that he is living it up!!

Kramer. Named for my sister's favorite TV character when she was a kid.

he's maybe 14 years old, no one is too sure. He's been passed around the family more times than a Christmas fruit cake. He's an out door cat, unless he's indoors. Then, he's an indoor cat.
When he choses to go out, he may be gone for a minute or a week. He comes home covered in glitter and bows some mornings, Mud and fur or blood or engine grease other mornings. He never tells me why.
He Drinks beer, and will chew into a beer can to get at it. Since I don't drink canned beer, its a mystery where he kkeeps getting these cans.
If I don't feed him the brand of catfood he's in the mood for, he'll go out and eat a bird.

Attachments

• Kramer.jpg
    Kramer.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 3,080
my daughter and our two dogs, Kaylah (11 yo-Lab mix) and Jasper (13 yo-Terrier mix). Not appearing: 3 Rhode Island Red and 3 Aracauna chickens and the sexy-Fancy-Guppy-menage a trois.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 3,041
Back