Powering a brushless motor from a brush controller

fabieville

100 W
Is it possible to do some form of conversion to allow a brushless motor to be powered from a brush controller?

I have a 24v-60v 100watt brush controller with a thumb throttle that uses 3 wires and I want to power a 48v 960watt brushless motor that I have.

This is the motor that I have:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/48v-960w-300-EXTRA-TORQUE-Off-Roads-Electric-Motor-e-Bike-Bicycle-motorized-Kit-/251941781518?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3aa8e6800e

This is the controller that I have:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-60V-motor-brush-controller-for-Electric-bike-bicycle-scooter-500-1000W-NEW-/171290660686?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item27e1b80f4e

The only controller chip I have used that can do both brushed and brushless is the old (discontinued?) MC3303x series of chips...but you'd have to build your whole controller from scratch (or follow one of the designs like Jeremy Harris' here on ES, or even see if you can find one of the old BLDC chinese controllers that used that chip (I have a dead one around here somewhere) and convert it.

It's unlikely that the one you have there could do it, even if you were to build new power stages for it to run the phases with.

dunno where you live, but brushless controllers are one of the less expensive parts of an e-bike build.
Good news everyone! :pancake:
You can re-use the throttle... probably.

USA- search amazon or e-bay (if you do ebay)... my first choice is generally amazon, since I refuse to use e-bay for anything except pictures of stuff.

Can anyone confirm if I can use the same throttle that I use on the brush motor use it on the brushless motor also?

Old throttle will probably work, but the connectors might need to be switched out.

A simple bare controller is often dirt cheap. Consider buying a kit with throttle, display, brake levers, and PAS sensor included. Not much more money when bought together. Very few brushed controllers supported pedal sensors, and you might like pedal assist. You also get matching connectors.

By the way, I think this is silly but works. A brushed motor just takes a varying DC voltage. A throttle input is just a small variable DC voltage. Convert the brushed controller motor output from its 0-24 or 0-60 volts down to 0-4 volts. Feed it into the throttle input of your brushless controller. A two resistor voltage divider will do it, if you keep the resistances high.

Back