Suitable battery for an 1800W 48V 38A motor?

You have go-kart motor and planning to install it on a bike? It doesn't make any sense to me. There are so many ready made hub and mid drive motors ready to install on a bike.

Can you post some pictures of this project of yours?
Here you have some pictures of the project

Attachments

• rn_image_picker_lib_temp_da1af40c-ad84-4aeb-a579-a9d7e25cc950.jpg
    rn_image_picker_lib_temp_da1af40c-ad84-4aeb-a579-a9d7e25cc950.jpg
    678.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20240203_202029.jpg
    IMG_20240203_202029.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
a) Did you check dimensions?
b) In my humble opinion you should pause for a moment and have a rethink. This project of yours loos like a death trap.
Yeah its a quite big battery but as i said, do you think its high enough quality to not cath on fire and will it be enough for the motor.
And i assure you, the project is completely safe😊

Yeah its a quite big battery but as i said, do you think its high enough quality to not cath on fire and will it be enough for the motor.
And i assure you, the project is completely safe😊

Their address says a lot:
unit 1/A , barking industrial area . Thames road .IG110JP,UK
+44 (0) 7466962132

Barking industrial area LOL

I think catching fire is smallest of your problems.

Their address says a lot:
unit 1/A , barking industrial area . Thames road .IG110JP,UK
+44 (0) 7466962132

Barking industrial area LOL

I think catching fire is smallest of your problems.
1708355506198.png

Yeah on closer inspection i might not wanna order a battery from there

How did you mount motor to the frame? Two drilled holes?

How did you mount motor to the frame? Two drilled holes?
Two drilled holes and a steel frame on the other side with two holes for the other screws.

Btw i have been working on this bike for 6 months with 1 earlier failed attempt using a hoverboard motor.

Two drilled holes and a steel frame on the other side with two holes for the other screws.

Btw i have been working on this bike for 6 months with 1 earlier failed attempt using a hoverboard motor.
Periodically inspect the drilled holes that are being used to mount the motor, so you can find cracks before they sever the frame tubing.

Bicycle frames generally don't have a great surplus of structural material to help them tolerate drilled holes.

Periodically inspect the drilled holes that are being used to mount the motor, so you can find cracks before they sever the frame tubing.

Bicycle frames generally don't have a great surplus of structural material to help them tolerate drilled holes.
Okay will keep that in mind. But for the time i have used the bike now I cant see any visible damage

Okay will keep that in mind. But for the time i have used the bike now I cant see any visible damage
It might be okay indefinitely. But keep an eye on it anyway.

Can you help me understand why?
I have a feeling like you are inventing an ebike in 1960 and you jumped here to ask some questions before coming back. There are so many ways this project might go wrong. I won't even mention Swedish road police. Why would you risk your own life?
You can buy hub motor, KT controller and battery for little more than $300, and it is a few hour job, so why would you put all this effort into creating a deathtrap?

PS Are your brakes in working condition? It might be a poor picture quality, but I don't see brake pads there.

Can you help me understand why?
I have a feeling like you are inventing an ebike in 1960 and you jumped here to ask some questions before coming back. There are so many ways this project might go wrong. I won't even mention Swedish road police. Why would you risk your own life?
You can buy hub motor, KT controller and battery for little more than $300, and it is a few hour job, so why would you put all this effort into creating a deathtrap?

PS Are your brakes in working condition? It might be a poor picture quality, but I don't see brake pads there.
I have been working on this for so long because the first attempt was just a fun side project. The first attempt tok months because we had to figure out how to contorl the hoverboard motor. After it failed we put it on ice for several months beofre ordering this new motor, all the shipping time will probably add up to three weeks if even that. Installing this motor only took 3 days of work plus some designing a way to attatch the gear to the wheel. Here we are today trying to find a good battery.

The brakes are in working condition and the reason you dont see brake pads is bacsue i had to remove them to remove the wheel. They are now re attatched and in working condition. I have already tested the bike and the brakes work great.

Edit: Police will not be a problem because I live in a small town with almost no police, 1 policr car a month

Last edited:
The brakes are in working condition and the reason you dont see brake pads is bacsue i had to remove them to remove the wheel.
If it helps, normally you don't have to do that--you just squeeze the arms at the top and pull the noodle out of the top of the arm it hooks into, and then the arms spread apart far enough to easily get the tire past them.

If the tire is *really* fat you can deflate it a bit to get it past--this is usually much simpler to reinflate than to readjust the brake pads from scratch every time. ;)

See here:

1.8kW and rim brakes? Oh dear... what possibly could go wrong?
That's a woefully uninformed opinion you have there. Rim brakes aren't necessarily weak or unreliable, just like disc brakes aren't necessarily strong or reliable.

While there's no reason to think that the OP's brakes are maximizing their potential, they can easily be made just as effective (or more so) as discs that are much more expensive, easier to damage, and much, much more vulnerable to debilitating contamination.

Yeah, the battery worked perfectly and our Ebike works great 👍. Its top speed is 47kmh on flat ground and the battery lasts for more than an hour of average biking before running out.
Is this the friend or the OP? Why not stick with one username to make it more clear who is posting?

Back