Re-winding a hubmotor

dam, bet you swore hard at that,
i know there are heaps of flash steels that are about 3 times the tensile strength of mild steel on paper, and this is going to cause controversy, but your just so much better off using mild steel for all the experimental (possibly all of our home made projects) cos in my experience it holds up just as well (sometimes better :shock: )

being so much easier to work with and drill, and ive seen so many examples of these exact types of problems where mild steel would just mushroom at bit at the end and forgive you, heaps of brushless motored die grinder shafts ive made and port heads with daily have lived for 12 years with lots of overhanging loads when the high end steels would crack after a few weeks??

dont be fooled by all the theory of triple the strength, people love talking about high grade everything (7000 series aluminum being stronger than steel etc) , but it just doesnt hold true in the real world, mild steel is our friend for all this guesswork/experimental type stuff.

and could you put 5-20 amps across a winding, measure the voltage to give us the resistance of a phase, it would help work out how you should terminate.

meanwhile id best hide from the barrage of spec sheets and formulas of even less user friendly materials. :lol:

edit this will be an awesome motor so keep up the good work, and cos of your massive axle it will be way strong enough either way.

The eagle has landed!

2012-02-21161525.jpg

2012-02-21161533.jpg

Woot!!!

Im very excited to see some rippin!

Beautiful.
Congratulations Farfle; It's a girl.

boo-yaah!
I wanna see some frockin' doughnutz!
(I told you you guys to watch this shop....nice out of the box thinking & resouces to match)

Speaking of alloys, versus soft steel,
Soft steel is you friend when dimensions are not right il will give like you said.
BUT the thing wont fit anymore on bearings for example.
Alloys steel are there for a reason, just have to handle/chose them properly and you will acheive better results.
I think we are saying the same but you sounded like alloy steel are crap.
Temper has a big influence on resilience and it is often overlooked.
Press fit tol are within 0.0002'' which are difficult to acheive with a ''home'' lathe.

Keep at it I wanted to do that last year but did not had the courage to do it.

You inspire us !

So this is a group buy thread right? I guess the motor looks OK.....

For that price it comes built in a wheel right?....

Would I be able to do 70mph with this motor and a 48V10ah ping pack? What about two ping packs? My commute is 50 miles. Will I need to recharge at work?

Would it work good with a sensorless or a sensored controller?

I don't know....

It looks kind of heavy to me....

I will have to think about it.

EDIT: I am of course kidding (not drunk). Great job Farfle. I wish I took this much pride and care in my work. Sensational stuff sir.

Just hard to believe that clean looking rewind can do so much more than the hairy fuzzy wiring that was stripped away.

I need to get my motor down here and get to winding.

GREAT JOB, Farfle. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Thanks so much for the help guys. :D today is d-day, all I have left to do is solder the phase wires and hook it to the controller. Quick question first tho, the phase color relates to the hall sensor color on its pole correct?

IT LIVES! :D :D :D The CA lost track of the speed at 80% throttle. 80% throttle is 81 mph :mrgreen: :mrgreen: full unloaded speed should be almost 100mph :twisted: :twisted: .Youtube vid is uploading and should be at http://youtu.be/kNyhAdoSneU in a little bit. no-load current was 3.8 amps :D so no messed up teeth!

Congratulations!

This is SOOO cool Farfle. Huge respect to you my friend!

If you come down here, our motor expert, who I've been showing this thread to, said he would take the time to dyno-tune you on a size2 sevcon. (up to 116vdc pack, 180phase amps, and a small package).

So amazing. I love the noise it makes. The way it was on its side with the silver curved spokes made me think of a blender for some reason.

Is a size two sevcon better than my 24-fet? It runs 250A batt, and 420 phase. However that's burst, and no field weakening or fine throttle control.

Just for a fun comparison - how much more power do you think this motor can take compared to 2 regular pies? Obviously it has a much larger thermal capacity because of all the metal in it, but would it's saturation point be much higher?

Back