Recommend V-Brake set

MikeSSS

1 kW
For conversion from cantilever to V-brakes. The ebrake levers on my bike are made for V-brakes and require too much lever force when used with my cantilever brakes.

Riding is mostly bike path, I seldom go over 20 mph and usually ride in the 12 to 16 mph range. I walk the bike down steep hills when off road.

The bike will be used on the Slick Rock Trail and on Hell's Revenge in Moab this fall. But, that's a one time bucket list ride and steep descents will probably be walked (well that's the plan anyway).

Shimano seems hard to find on Amazon, brands like CNC are available.

Thanks in advance,

Mike S

MikeSSS said:
Shimano seems hard to find on Amazon, brands like CNC are available.

Since your'e probably not trying to shave grams, I think any decent brand would do, and focus more on the pads. There's some e-bike specific compositions now https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-V-Brake-Insert-Electric/dp/B00D6016XG. If you're running wide or tall tires, just makes sure the shape of the v-brakes provide enough clearance.

http://www.bikepartsusa.com/Bike-Parts-srk/Bike-V-Brake-drk/

Shimano is good, Tektro is good, SRAM is good. Promax sucks. As E-HP says, good pads are key (and brakes only ever come with okay pads or worse).

Note that all linear-pull brakes don’t have the same length arms, and your cross cable has to clear the tire and fender if you have one. So if you use fat tires or fenders, make sure you get brakes with long enough arms.

For what it’s worth, cantilever brakes have adjustable pull ratio which can sometimes be brought into the same range as that of a V-brake. To do that, first slide the pads inwards on their stems so the arms are as wide as possible when the pads meet the rim. Then lower the straddle cable until it just clears the tire. The more obtuse the angle formed at the top of the straddle, the higher your mechanical advantage will be. (A V-brake will give you more rim clearance at equal mechanical advantage, though.)

This diagram shows a setup with a straddle cable angle that would probably work well with V-brake levers:

canti.gif

For cantilever brakes with their intended levers, the rule of thumb is you want a 90 degree angle in the straddle when pads meet rim. So for V-brake levers, you want it quite a lot wider than that.

Any brand you find on e bay will do fine, just avoid the very cheapest steel ones. Hold out for cast aluminum instead of the sheet steel punched into shape common on super cheap bikes.

Splurge on great pads though.

Thanks guys, you've given me the information I need.

From trying cantilever levers on V-brakes and V levers on cantilevers, it seems best to use levers and brakes made to work together.

I really appreciate the help.

Best wishes,

Mike S

MikeSSS said:
From trying cantilever levers on V-brakes and V levers on cantilevers, it seems best to use levers and brakes made to work together.

Problem Solvers Travel Agent will fix that incompatibility in either direction, but just one of them costs more than a decent pair of levers.

ta-pulley-ratio.jpg

Back