Revolt Rv-120 pro/ norco aline Video teaser

I wonder, if you pedal (what not happen much i hope :D ) do you have to overpower the motorresistance also? And if You drive will the pedalchain turn also?

bionicon said:
I wonder, if you pedal (what not happen much i hope :D ) do you have to overpower the motorresistance also? And if You drive will the pedalchain turn also?

It appears the motor axle holds two sprockets. The inner most sprocket drives the rear sprocket. The out most sprocket is connected to the big front sprocket so that the pedals can drive the motor axle and then the rear wheel. My guess is that the out sprocket on the motor shaft is a freewheel so that the pedal will not move when motor is spinning.

Yes I see it, two freewheel probably in the opposite position but if you have to pedal you have also to move the motoraxle and resistance, that will be hard :roll:

bionicon said:
Yes I see it, two freewheel probably in the opposite position but if you have to pedal you have also to move the motoraxle and resistance, that will be hard :roll:

In addition to this, you wont match the motor rpm with a practically usable single stage chain reduction. So I think this bike has the pedals more lite footpegs.
I know this because I had to move to a 219 chain to get the motor and pedals to match rpm on a differential shaft for my upcoming quadbike build.

So with a high ratio up from the pedal rpm and a high ratio down from the motor rpm, the rpms can match. And this is still only at ~50V.

Wheazel said:
bionicon said:

In addition to this, you wont match the motor rpm with a practically usable single stage chain reduction. So I think this bike has the pedals more lite footpegs.
I know this because I had to move to a 219 chain to get the motor and pedals to match rpm on a differential shaft for my upcoming quadbike build.

So with a high ratio up from the pedal rpm and a high ratio down from the motor rpm, the rpms can match. And this is still only at ~50V.

I don't really see why somebody would want to pedal those downhill bikes it's a pain... I can do 0-60 in less then 2 1/2 seconds. I'm more like a torque freak not really top speed...
I can do wheelies on demands :D .

I do have some videos but I don't want the Cops to show at my door after watching me going 90's on public road.
The bike is almost sold to a ES Members :cry:

How did you achieve that much of acceleration, how much you pull from battery? Is the Revolt heating up?

boisrondevens said:
I don't really see why somebody would want to pedal those downhill bikes it's a pain... I can do 0-60 in less then 2 1/2 seconds. I'm more like a torque freak not really top speed...

I do have some videos but I don't want the Cops to show at my door after watching me going 90's on public road.

Holy moly you would given the new Tesla MS 100PDL a really beating as Tesla claims 0-60 in 2.54 seconds from their 760 HP P100DL.
Have you ever gotten the time card from a drag strip or how did you measure 0-60 time, via GPS? Pls post video from drag strip if you got.

macribs said:
boisrondevens said:

Holy moly you would given the new Tesla MS 100PDL a really beating as Tesla claims 0-60 in 2.54 seconds from their 760 HP P100DL.
Have you ever gotten the time card from a drag strip or how did you measure 0-60 time, via GPS? Pls post video from drag strip if you got.

And

redline2097 said:
How did you achieve that much of acceleration, how much you pull from battery? Is the Revolt heating up?

Easy to say 0-60 in under 2.5 seconds, much harder to achieve, and accurately measure..
You might get some backpedaling, or some more non verifiable hearsay in response :roll: but having tested an rv120 i can tell you that in reality even 0-60kph (rather than miles) is going to take at least twice the output that the motor can achieve.

Totally agree i bailed on a rv 120 build long ago there was just to much subjective info.. not saying i dont appreciate feedback ...0 to 60 times are one of the best ways to get rid of the gray area. then you dont mind pumping time/ money into it.

For me its also hard to believe that he's doing 0 to 60 in 2an 1/2 second, i think its 60km/u.
I have a rev 160 short at 75volts with an adaptto mid-e and it puls hard but never it will wheely or do 60 in this time. Before this i have an 8kw nova tareq50 outrunner with beltdrive, that motor gives me wheelypower all the time its scared me to drive it.

Can my kid wheelie with it when max speed set at 60 kmh? :) Total weight of rider and e-motocross bike would be under 100 lbs.

bionicon said:
For me its also hard to believe that he's doing 0 to 60 in 2an 1/2 second, i think its 60km/u.
I have a rev 160 short at 75volts with an adaptto mid-e and it puls hard but never it will wheely or do 60 in this time. Before this i have an 8kw nova tareq50 outrunner with beltdrive, that motor gives me wheelypower all the time its scared me to drive it.

Tareq50 has more power than rev 160 short? How much difference?

redline2097 said:
bionicon said:

Tareq50 has more power than rev 160 short? How much difference?

The Xnova tareq50 is an rc outrunner and is rated at 8kw nominal and 13kw peak. Its normal the torque is already there in the reduction and directly available. This motor has a kv of 530,so big reduction is needed.

This have given me so many ideas for my first mid drive setup.

Let's talk chain strength, most bike or bmx chain setups are good for what 3kw ? How many chains have u snapped if any and how long are they lasting ? I wonder if belt drive would work here?

Jestronix said:
This have given me so many ideas for my first mid drive setup.

Let's talk chain strength, most bike or bmx chain setups are good for what 3kw ? How many chains have u snapped if any and how long are they lasting ? I wonder if belt drive would work here?

Seems BMX chain will suffice for the revolts due to much lower power then advertised. Also it seems to be a real challenge to make em revolts work well for e-bikes, on the count of windings, and the prop cooling motor gets when used for helicopters etc. Copper fill is only about 21% and poor hall placements seems to make it very hard to have success with revolts. It seems that also the balance of the revolts are done poorly. Used for ebike revolts will produce much heat rapidly and that will likely be an issue also for you.

Take a look at these threads below if you haven't already. A rewind job and possible hall refinement might be expected if you go revolt. I too was ready to order a couple of revolts late autumn last year. Then various threads about revolt problems showed up and it seems quality control is a general problem for revolt - at least for our e-bike needs. Too be honest if you ask around from other owners of revolt I am not certain they would have dropped their money on the revolt if they knew about the problems at the time of purchase. This Norco Aline might be the only ES build that has been successfully using Revolt motor - and that is a shame really. As one quick look at the Revolt spec sheets shows an amazing power to cost / power to weight ratio, as advertised it might be one of the best motors for e-bikes - on paper that is. And so far it seems paper specs is what Revolt is about. Real world performance and quality is no yet there for the heavy usage e-bike motors needs. Hopefully Revolt get this sorted over time, I am willing to set some of the issues on growing pain and being a small company. But for any company with long term intends quality and honesty needs to be the root foundation.

If the revolt tops out at 3-4 kw in real world ebike setup, and can only stay at that output for a few seconds that price to power/price to weight ratio suddenly is not that appealing anymore. Here are two threads I can remember from the top of my head. The very long john build swapped out the revolt due to revolt problems. And the other is a complete rebuild/rewinding. Serious man hours and elbow grease needs to go into motor - and we still don't know if motor will peak even close to spec sheet power. Even with 2.5 times more copper then original.

Revolt Rebuild:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=85534

Revolt revoked:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=70500

What a shame, the write up by magnets certainly painted a picture, the size of these motors attracted me and 15kw wow that would have been insane :)

Back