• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Riding modes

ankanphukan

100 mW
Hello Everyone!!

I need your valuable feedbacks.

But before that, I have a silly question. What exactly changes when we change the driving modes?

I read a couple of articles and I came to a conclusion that, when we change the driving modes in a bike/vehicle, the torque and acceleration changes. Is there anything else?

Now comes the million dollar question (or rather my million dollar problem).
I have a motor (and controller) and a decent battery pack (with BMS). I want to introduce two-three driving modes. What are the things that I should keep in mind while introducing the driving modes?

Could anyone help and suggest me how that can be done!!

Thank you for your time.

P.S. The three modes may be: Eco, normal, sports ( I haven't decided it yet).

Since you are designing this, then you must decide what changes; you have to know what you want the results to be before you can make that happen.

What specifically do you want the modes to do?

If you want them to change battery usage, you can do that by monitoring and limiting the battery current.

If you want them to change speed levels, you can do that by monitoring and limiting the speed of the driven wheel.

If you want them to change torque levels, you can do that by monitoring and limiting the phase current to the motor.

If you want different functions for different modes, you can do that, too.

Etc.

Before anyone can help you figure out how to create the modes, you have to decide exactly what you want each one of them to do.

Until you decide, there's not much we can do (it would be a waste of time for us to describe how to do one thing and then you decide instead to do a different one).

ankanphukan said:
Hello Everyone!!

But before that, I have a silly question. What exactly changes when we change the driving modes?

I read a couple of articles and I came to a conclusion that, when we change the driving modes in a bike/vehicle, the torque and acceleration changes. Is there anything else?

I have a motor (and controller) and a decent battery pack (with BMS). I want to introduce two-three driving modes. What are the things that I should keep in mind while introducing the driving modes?

Thank you for your time.

The Cycle Analyst provides several user modes, including the ones you listed. For those modes, you can setup numerous parameters to customize them to your preference (power, speed, throttle ramping, cut off voltages, PAS assist levels, etc.), and compatible with any controller that has a throttle input.

amberwolf said:
Since you are designing this, then you must decide what changes; you have to know what you want the results to be before you can make that happen.

What specifically do you want the modes to do?

If you want them to change battery usage, you can do that by monitoring and limiting the battery current.

If you want them to change speed levels, you can do that by monitoring and limiting the speed of the driven wheel.

If you want them to change torque levels, you can do that by monitoring and limiting the phase current to the motor.

If you want different functions for different modes, you can do that, too.

Etc.

Before anyone can help you figure out how to create the modes, you have to decide exactly what you want each one of them to do.

Until you decide, there's not much we can do (it would be a waste of time for us to describe how to do one thing and then you decide instead to do a different one).

Thank you for your feedback.

My ultimate aim is to increase the range of the vehicle.

So, for that, I believe I have to limit the torque and acceleration right?

Kindly give your valuable suggestion, so that I can increase the range of the vehicle with different driving modes.

As you have mentioned, by monitoring and limiting the battery current, the battery usage can be changed. This will ultimately affect the torque as well right??

To cut things short, my ultimate aim is to increase the range of the vehicle. Could you kindly guide me, how can I achieve that?!

Thank you for your time.

E-HP said:
ankanphukan said:
Hello Everyone!!

Thank you for your time.

The Cycle Analyst provides several user modes, including the ones you listed. For those modes, you can setup numerous parameters to customize them to your preference (power, speed, throttle ramping, cut off voltages, PAS assist levels, etc.), and compatible with any controller that has a throttle input.

Thank you for your valuable feedback. I will refer the cycle analyst and let you know if I face any problem.

Please take out some time to help me out.

ankanphukan said:
My ultimate aim is to increase the range of the vehicle.

So, for that, I believe I have to limit the torque and acceleration right?

Kindly give your valuable suggestion, so that I can increase the range of the vehicle with different driving modes.

As you have mentioned, by monitoring and limiting the battery current, the battery usage can be changed. This will ultimately affect the torque as well right??

To cut things short, my ultimate aim is to increase the range of the vehicle. Could you kindly guide me, how can I achieve that?!

If you can't increase the size of the battery:

--decrease current draw from the battery, the lower the draw the longer it will last. You can simply decrease the current limit of the controller to do this, either in hardware or it's settings if it has any. Doing this will result in lower torque and lesser acceleration as a byproduct.

--use a smaller motor and controller. If you are decreasing the need for power, you might as well use a system that is only capable of doing the work you need it to. The smaller motor and controller will weigh less and so take less energy to accelerate/etc. They may even be more efficient.

--use a more efficient motor and controller. That might not be the same as smaller; you'd have to check with teh manufacturers of the ones you ahve to see if efficiency tests *at the speed you go, under the conditions you use them under* were ever done. If not, you could test that yourself, monitoring how much power is actually used vs how much is taken out of the battery. You may have to build (or buy) equipment to do that testing, so it may not be worth doing. Once you know the efficiency of what you have, you can search for more efficient ones, *at the speed you go, under the conditions you use them under*. It is very important to consider those as conditions for hte test, because something may be a certain efficiency under one set of conditions, but much much less efficient under a different set.

--reduce speed to reduce losses from air resistance. You can limit the speed of the bike in the controller if it has a setting to do that, or you can simply control yourself so you don't ride as fast. The slower you go, the less energy it takes.

--alternately, build an aerodynamic shell around the bike to decrease air resistance at the same speed you are already going. This will increase weight, and cause problems with sidewinds pushing you around, and make it hotter to ride in because you'll be enclosed inside the shell and won't get airflow past you to cool you off.

--increase tire pressure and use tires appropriate to the surfaces you're riding on. If tire pressure is low, energy is wasted on flexing the rubber.

--ride only with the wind instead of against it. Riding against the wind is equivalent to riding faster--it takes more energy. If your path takes you into the wind, stop and wait for the wind to change or decrease.

--ride only on flat ground (no hills or slopes). Riding up a slope takes more energy than riding on flat ground. The heavier you and the bike/etc are, the more energy it takes to do the same thing.

--ride continously without stopping. Everytime you accelerate from a stop it takes more energy than just maintaining the same speed, like climbing a hill.

--pedal more, with the appropriate gearshifting; the more energy you provide, the less the battery has to, so the longer it will last.

There's probably other things I didn't remember to list.

Back