Sabvoton 7280 Programming Tips

thebruce

10 mW
Hey all - been posting the progress on my first enduro build with my boys over here First Enduro Build For My Boys (14 & 12)

Long story short, build came out awesome. Boys thrilled. Now just trying to understand how to program and tune the 7280. Documentation is crap. I bought from NBPower and they said it was pre-configured, but I doubt that. Ive asked them and while they are responsive, they give generic answers.

Anyway, ive had a couple cut outs saying "Error 2H, Controller Protect". Im assuming the controller is asking for more current than the battery can give. But just wanted to confirm what the settings should be with some of you pros.

Specs:
Motor: QS205 v2. Rated to 3kw, Peak 6kw. 23 poles.
Controller: 7280 80A
Battery: 72V, 20AH. Specs a bit confusing on it. Ive attached here: Usa Warehouse 72v 20ah Electric Bike Triangle Lithium Battery Pack With 72v 5a +charger - Buy Battery 72v,Eletric Bike Triangle Lithium Battery,Usa Warehouse 72v 20ah Electric Bike Triangle Lithium Battery Pack With 72v 5a +charger Product on Alibaba.com. It says 30A max continuous discharge rate (adjustable), 60A peak. But then it also says "80Amp continuous current"? Is continuous current different from discharge rate?

Default Sabvoton settings are as follows. I also added notes on each for the recommendations ive got from reading the forum posts:

Lack Voltage: 40 (I read others saying for a 72V battery this should be set to 50V for better battery health...but I also see in the battery specs it says "64v discharge cutoff voltage". So should that be used???)
Current Limiting Voltage: 45V (I read posts this should be 55V for a 72v battery)
Over Voltage: 95V (I read posts saying this should be 86V max and the controller would be fired before getting to 95V...)
DC Current: 80A (confused why its set to 80V. is this based on controller max, or battery. if battery, should this be set to 30V?)
Boost Current: 80A (ditto. should this be set to 60V?)
Rated Phase Current: 120A (should this be set to the motor or controller max at 80v?)
Max Phase Current: 200A (no idea)
Protective Phase Current: 250A (ditto)

I also enabled Regen and E-Brake but the default value was "30A". I had a control system engineer in my company suggest that may be the problem. The battery is only rated to 5A charge, so if regen is trying to put 30A could that cause issues??

Anyway, appreciate any of you sabvoton pros helping walk me through this. Here is a pic of the completed bike.

Ps - after I solve these first issues, my next issue is to set the speed limiter on it for my boys. It was supposed to be easy to just set a speed limit using the UKC1 display...but that doesnt work for some reason.

IMG_2035.jpeg

Last edited:
Battery: 72V, 20AH. Specs a bit confusing on it. Ive attached here: Usa Warehouse 72v 20ah Electric Bike Triangle Lithium Battery Pack With 72v 5a +charger - Buy Battery 72v,Eletric Bike Triangle Lithium Battery,Usa Warehouse 72v 20ah Electric Bike Triangle Lithium Battery Pack With 72v 5a +charger Product on Alibaba.com. It says 30A max continuous discharge rate (adjustable), 60A peak. But then it also says "80Amp continuous current"? Is continuous current different from discharge rate?
Your LVC voltages are pretty low. It's a personal preference, but most folks wouldn't go below 3V per cell, and higher if you want the pack to live longer (I do very light charge cycles, charging to 4.15V per cell, and never discharging below 3.7V, or 72V for the pack).

8P of generic Chinese cells is good for about 25A before the voltage starts sagging, and around 40A for shorter periods. 30A continuous sounds OK, 60A peak is stretching it and might sag 10V or more. Your default current settings look odd and should be in amps. The rated DC current should be limited to 30A and the max DC current should be 60A. A pack made with name brand (Samsung, LG, Panasonic, etc.) would be capable of double those figures (40A-60A continuous), but a generic cell pack will last a good lifetime if you treat it right.

Your LVC voltages are pretty low. It's a personal preference, but most folks wouldn't go below 3V per cell, and higher if you want the pack to live longer (I do very light charge cycles, charging to 4.15V per cell, and never discharging below 3.7V, or 72V for the pack).

8P of generic Chinese cells is good for about 25A before the voltage starts sagging, and around 40A for shorter periods. 30A continuous sounds OK, 60A peak is stretching it and might sag 10V or more. Your default current settings look odd and should be in amps. The rated DC current should be limited to 30A and the max DC current should be 60A. A pack made with name brand (Samsung, LG, Panasonic, etc.) would be capable of double those figures (40A-60A continuous), but a generic cell pack will last a good lifetime if you treat it right.
thanks for the quick reply. yea sorry for the typo. I put V instead of A for those... just corrected in the OP!

ok so I will turn the DC current and peak down to 30A and 60A. We these default settings at 80A, would that actually provide more power, or was it just draining the battery and causing excess heat? electricity is still a dark art to me so im trying to learn :)

thanks for the quick reply. yea sorry for the typo. I put V instead of A for those... just corrected in the OP!

ok so I will turn the DC current and peak down to 30A and 60A. We these default settings at 80A, would that actually provide more power, or was it just draining the battery and causing excess heat? electricity is still a dark art to me so im trying to learn :)
It will have more power, and more heat, and heat isn't good with anything ebike related. In any case, 30A/60A should be pretty fun. If the boys want more power, give them some chores to earn the battery upgrade, and use the generic packs for backup power during outages.(y)

Thanks @E-HP. I set it down to 30/60. Weirdly enough the 5 assist modes are now screwy. In mode 3 it's almost as fast as before, but when I set to 4 or 5 it the speed immediately reduces. Baffled. Somebody told me I should only set to 3 assist modes anyway, so I will try that.

So I think I sorta understand these assist modes better now.

- If I set my controller DC current to 30a, and boost to 60a, there is a considerable drop-off in torque when I switch from level 3 to levels 4 and 5.
- If I set my controller DC current to 60a and boost to 60a, there is still a slight drop in torque when switching to levels 4 and 5, but I can also see a jump in top speed.

So are these assist levels more related to top speed?

Back