Just joined, discuss controller settings?

FlipDowney

10 mW
Hey gang
Just joined, been reading for a year now. I finished the bike in the pic attached. Its specs are 6kw qs motor Sabvoton 72150 controller and a 44.5Ah battery. I got the kit from Ablebike.com and the kit was put together well and it fired right up. The recommended settings are just too high for the battery and its the largest one they offer. So i have it set like this
DC current 80A (lowest safe setting for controller apparently)
Phase current 150A (cant be set to 160)
Max Phase current 200A
Mid throttle phase amps 120A

Thanks for having me, all

Attachments

• 20230309_131512.jpg
    20230309_131512.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
Looks like a nice bike. 80A is the limit on a stock Sur-ron, so your power should be similar (which is plenty for most people).

Loos like fun! I chuckled a moment at their battery descriptions, but nice to see that they aren't making false claims like others tend to do.

44.5Ah battery.
<snip>
The recommended settings are just too high for the battery and its the largest one they offer. So i have it set like this
DC current 80A (lowest safe setting for controller apparently)
What are the battery properties and capabilities?

If it isn't designed/built to handle the 80A, and the present controller can't go low enough to meet the capabilities of the battery, and not stress/damage it, then you would need to either change the controller out for one that can work with that battery, or change the battery out for one that can handle the full capabilities of the controller you've already got (or at least, as much of those capabilities as you need from it).

I cant guarantee the cells myself cause ive not seen them with my own eyes. However it has a 130a bms and i was riding it set to 150a with 250 phase amps 350 max phase amps. It seemed to do just fine with nothing getting too hot, i did add ferofluid to the motor with hubsinks as well. Ive had zero issues im just new to rc and ebikes so im trying to learn. The settings on it now have worked well but weather hasnt let me try the hill on my commute yet. I did set it to 80a with 80 phase before i understood phase amps a little better and i had to power down and restart on the hill. The bummer is i wasnt expecting it and had a car behind me so i didnt notice what the error i had was, and i have yet to find out if this Sabvoton 72150 has an analyst in it so i could go in and see what did cause it. Now i believe the phase was too low and the motor didnt have the torque to do it, but what shut down i do not know precisely.

Back