Scott Spark comp 29er + crystalyte HS3540

Just spent about 1 hr or so riding around playing with settings, finally worked out why it was getting twitchy... well actually I changed something to fix it and i dont know if it was a limit being hit by the cycyle analyst or the thermostat in the hub motor. But I got it sorted anyway, and she goes 50K/Hr with a limit of 1Kw, I think thats pretty impresive really. big wheels I guess. I can pedal prety quick and hold it at 55 Kph so I'll just leave it at that when im on the street or maby i tad more to pedal upto 60kph. anyway i didnt test it at higher power after i got that sorted so that will be fun. It was an amp ramp up i had set too high.

RTFM
read the f$%king manual!

anyway it's a good reason to ride the bike and see what all the changes do.

I'm not really sure how i want it set for cross country / downhill riding... I guess ill have a play and see how it feels.
It climbs hills nicely at 1KW limit so thats probly a good start. I might put a switch on the aux in of the cycle analyst eventually.
the battery box is shaking around a bit so ill bolt that down as i had planed to do at the start of the build. also have to tidy wires and conect horn and light switch.
also got a bottle of never flat for the rear tube that i have to put in b4 serious off roading up at eagle mtb park.

You'll know if the thermostat kicks in, you won't be able to power at all. It cuts the hall line so you'll feel a rough vibration, rumbley sort of hesitation. Depending on how hot it is it'll start working again a few minutes later

thanks, yeah I think that sounds like thats what it was. but sometimes it seemd like it was the CA. I understand the theory of both but in practice I just dont have the experiance to say "yep thats ....." when i feel it. it didnt really get HEAPS hot to touch though, sometimes after i take it inside after a hard ride a could smell the spray on(?) insulation boiling off some hydrocarbonousish compound.

ok so i accidently had the series anderson plug in and started pluging in balance cables to the parallel board. sparks! then i tried again after i unpluged the series plug and it seemed to charge ok, didnt think anything of it and went for a ride a couple days later. then when i went to charge it lastnight after a ride, i found that a (2p) cell was reading 0.0v AGH! i checked it this morning with a multimeter and its got no resistance through the cell (short circuit) the others are all the same very high 14M ohm i think it was.
can a save these or is it not worth it? if they werent SO expensive to replace I might just replace them for peice of mind. any thoughts?
also 1 pack is slightly ballooned, will that go down if i can get some charge into that cell and get it to charge on the charger.

I just put a pre charge resistor on the power plug of the controller.
Its a 10w 100 ohm resistor with an led+5600 ohm resistor in parallel for charge indicayion and a small momentary push button switch. Should save my plugs from arcing.

Also looking at charger upgrade... I didn't know there were high voltage chargers like this until a moment ago:
http://www.bmsbattery.com/alloy-shell/29-alloy-shell-1200w-lifepo4li-ionlead-acid-battery-ev-charger.html
alloy-shell-1200w-lifepo4li-ionlead-acid-battery-ev-charger.jpg

Any one use something like this?

Hyena said:
Keeping the power/amps down will certainly get you more range though.

+1.
It's Peukert's Law for LiPo. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peukert%27s_law

pendragon8000 said:
Also looking at charger upgrade... I didn't know there were high voltage chargers like this until a moment ago:[
http://www.bmsbattery.com/alloy-shell/29-alloy-shell-1200w-lifepo4li-ionlead-acid-battery-ev-charger.html
Yeah they're fine, I've been using them for years. They do blow up occasionally but other than that they're good :lol:
It's usually the inrush current limiter / thermistor that goes on them so you just replace that if it goes pop.

Samd said:
+1.
It's Peukert's Law for LiPo. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peukert%27s_law
Actually I don't really think lipo displays any significant Peukert's effect, it's more just pissing away power into heating the windings in the more inefficient part of the motor curve. Your total Ah used will still be similar but if you're mindful of the current draw per unit of torque on the bum dyno rather that just pinning it at full throttle for little gain you'll see better whr/ km, ie more range.

Cheers Jay. I appreciate the help.
Yeah I noticed the efficiency of pulling back the watt limit heaps . And even going from 3Kw to 1Kw the bike is still heaps of fun and goes 50kph unassisted.

I think I worked out why the CA was cutting the throttle b4. I may have been tripping the over throttle /short protection in the controller. That's why I was confused. The on off on off from the controller probly contributed to heat in the motor and tripped the hall sensor thermostat.Giving that shakey feeling.
Hobby king still hasn't sent my batteries I ordered 4 working days ago even though they r in stock. More time off the road.

Hyena said:
Actually I don't really think lipo displays any significant Peukert's effect, it's more just pissing away power into heating the windings in the more inefficient part of the motor curve. Your total Ah used will still be similar but if you're mindful of the current draw per unit of torque on the bum dyno rather that just pinning it at full throttle for little gain you'll see better whr/ km, ie more range.

Fair call.
We should science it up with a purely resistive load (ok, well within reason). Maybe we could get a government grant for it :wink:
Although I often run my shed lights with 50W halogens clipped to my turnigys, pretty sure I get some non-linear behaviour there if I have say 2 or ten. Should put my meter in line next time...

Samd said:
Maybe we could get a government grant for it :wink:
Although I often run my shed lights with 50W halogens clipped to my turnigys, pretty sure I get some non-linear behaviour there if I have say 2 or ten. Should put my meter in line next time...
haha half of us would be millionaires if the govt would throw money at us for such "research"
It's easy to measure what's going on with your lighting setup, this is essentially how I discharge test my batteries anyway - give the battery a full balance charge and then discharge through a watt meter into a bunch of halogen lights in parallel with a cell log connected to keep an eye out for runts at the pointy end.

Interesting samd..

Ordered the bulk charger. And a brake disk clip on lock/alarm.
Hyena , got the dc-dc today. The post lobed it at my door from his bike on the road :/ was a good shot but how dodgee?
All wired up with Anderson's and found a nice nook for it behind battery box. Got a put an aux 12v socket on there for a back pack sound system.
Might have a ride with 18s 1p while I wait for lipo bricks.
Pulled a muscle in back so I'm out of action atm. Was able to get around enough today to solder a few bits. May off road on Sunday and video. Some awesome tracks in Adelaide hills mtb park will make good video.

What voltage did you get the bulk charger set to ?
I'd recommend 75.2 to allow a little bit of wiggle room for the slight imbalance of the cells if you're not going to top up balance charge every time. This is what I do and I only end up balancing once a month. Well, I check the balance once a month, it rarely needs it! But best to check it every time. Do as I say not as I do and all that :p

As for splitting the pack, if it's just for one ride it doesn't matter but I wouldn't go riding around with a 5ah pack and then throw in a random new pack down the track with 2 other older packs than have been sitting around. It's best to keep them all with approximately the same number of cycles on them so they discharge evenly. If a cell fails then yeah replace what ever, but if it can be avoided it's best for smooth running in the long run.

thanks Jay, yeah regarding diferent number of cycles on cells, just had a craving for a ride, and wanted to test my wiring of all new mods with dc-dc and light switch and horn switch and riged up some old pc speakers in the drink holders of a back pack. my GF said i looked like a looser when i left the house she was just pulling up in her car. it was prety sick ride just crusing on leagal 200w limit went from torensville to glenelg on bike track thats nonstop goes onder roads allong river torens then allong beach. had to pedal unasisted for a couple k's on the way home but sill kept 19kph with out pushing too hard. the pack was at 70v for storage, so had like 2 or 3 ah so prety good considering, crusing at 30kph unasisted and easily push a little upto 38kph, over taking most other riders. got some funny looks playing MF Doom on the pc speakers but meh, look like a looser but heaps of fun, and i was out of ear shot b4 any one could think of something to say.

anyway BULK CHARGE it should be stock standard for 18s lipo , if i have to tweak it when i get it its all good, 75.x V sounds good, ill test it and see. was nice to have the option of what plug i wanted on the end for charging. and colour options :/ .. um whatever just send it already lol... bms seem like a good bunch though.

might just have another ride or two till the new lipo arives, HK said it has been sent today so should be here late next week I guess.

BTW Hyena thanks for that dc-dc free upgrade, its not too big in size but the extra power may come in handy. that horn is pretty cute to, its not too big and still loud enough to do the job. I hooked it through the ca's output and it seems a little quieter so there might be a bit of resistance through there but definately no problems getting enough current through for light and horn. also those anderson you gave me worked a treat to hook up the dc-dc and put a little toggle switch on the power for dc-dc. everything prety tidy and all complete. (other than lipo, balance cables, lvc buzzer, bulk charger and disk lock/alarm) but thats all plug and play stuff. the bike is basically finished.

so i guess i should say big thanks to
HYENA
and all the other ES crew that gave there advice and experiance to help me on my way. I might finish this thread and start a new one in photos and videos or get an ES staff to change this thread catagory to photos and videos.

still have to play with rear shock pressure to get the sag right, it bottoms out with the occasional big jump but for normal riding i think it needs to be about 120 - 130 psi instead of 140+ psi. alos looking at schwalbe big apples cos most of my riding will be on road but some off road to so 29x2.35 looks good with that kevlar "built in suspension side wall" dont know about the reflective strip on side wall though :? but meh should be a sik trye.
peace, happy friday!

No dramas mate, I'm happy to be Hyenaclause delivering EV grins :mrgreen:

Don't run the horn off the CA output though, you'll burn it out!
They're just for lights, 500ma max. Horns draw a fair bit of current - car horns have 30 amp relays to run them and although these ones are smaller they still pull a bit. You'll want a fairly heavy duty momentary switch on it, or a small relay.

Oh and yeah those DC-DC converters are pretty small and pretty good value. You can save even more space if you remove them from their case but it's best to leave it there for protection if you can.

PS: leave the PC speakers at home and get some headphones you stooge! haha

Yeah, thought I should probly wire the horn on its own power supply. might as well run the light off the same wire seeing as its all wired up to a plug ready to go.

I was planning on playing some beats for the wild life up at eagle mtb park, I reakon the koalas and kangaroos would love it :) just joking. lol, it was a just because i could thing :) .
this is my horn switch
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SP0656
so yeah might have to upgrade or relay. a realay would be a pain in the ass, having 12v wires going all over the place, should be able to find a decent switch. ip65+ would be nice but jaycar doesnt have anything like that.
_________edit____________
this one looks like a good option... and its got a light in it pity its so gigantic
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SP0757

I carry on a bit a few times, getting used to offroad riding again and applying the hadron power.. i had a few AH left when i got back to the car so i set the limit to 2.2KW and had a go at power wheelies and was easyer than i thought.
_________________OFF ROAD VIDEO!______________
[youtube]Iwn_4o4CAOM[/youtube]

I'm curious as to how well the suspension on your bike coped with that ramp/drop off?

Considering the motor adds another 7.5 kg of unsprung weight (which the bike suspension wasn't really designed to cope with).

Oh and more power totally would have helped with all that puffing. :p

lol yeah, i was really reserved with the use of throttle cos i didn't want to get stuck out there too far from the car.
the drop off thing, was a deceptive view, it's like a see-saw, so i tap the brake when i get past the middle and it flips down to let me off the other side. if you hit it fast it acts kind of like a jump but its a bit hard to predict.
I got back to the car and had some E- left so burnt it up doing power wheelies around the car park :)

Deceptive view you say. So the trail wasn't dead flat and completely smooth? :lol:

I haven't been to Eagle yet, looks interesting. I have a MAC and a hardtail, so the bike takes a bit of a hammering despite the fact that I'm not brave/skilled enough to do the big jumps.

Have you been to Craigburn Farm? It's pretty good for XC (and ebikes), especially with the stage 2 trails being built and the Mitcham council is opening up some of the nearby reserves too.

They're (along with the Onkaparinga Council) are supposed to be extending the Sturt River linear path all the way to Coromandel Valley, with a connection to Craigburn farm which would be sweet (and technically I could ride all the way from my house without riding on the road). Now all I need is a few more watthours.

ok just got my delivery from hoby king, tested the lipo on camera unpaked them, charging now. so I'm back to 10Ah thankfully . I ran out a few ks from home the other day. total bumer, but lukily no hills on the adelaide plains and big 29 inch wheels help me roll along in mid range gears at 21kph.

anyway....

Put you hand up if you want more videos?
(I wana get my mate scope to do some circle work in figure eight with wheelies in between)

Bueller?

Bueller?

anybody?

anbody?

Fry. Fry. Bueller. Fry.

The officers in the prison, symbolise. Anyone, anyone.

Yes please.

Back