Sevcon gen4 - need some changes- vendor of no help

flob

100 mW
Hi all,
name is florian and i have been lurking ES since a couple of years,
Now i have build my second e-moto and last year i decided to change from kelly to sevcon...

Its a very long story , dragging on since march and finally since late september i have received a working unit after paying 580 Euros for a repair of a bought new and never working product.

However the vendor did not in the very least program to my specs and of course he does not answer at all again...

So i guess i need to change some parameters myself but i am totally confused about how, i do not want to brick the sevcon.

First things first- the needed changes:

1: under voltage and over battery voltages need changing
2. power cutback treshold needs changing
3. activate(?) regen......see later
4. full power does not come up ( 15 of 32 kw)
5. no full power on start up ( worse than kelly...3kw...then 7 at aprox 30kph...15kw from like 50kph) )

6, how to save the original dcf?

for 3. it seems that regen is programmed (pic) but if i let go of throttle it just rolls to stop

Screenshot_20221024_122606.png

so any idea where it is actually "activated"?

for 1,2
during a single online/ remote desktop session the vendor simply "clicked" away one switch ("ah- you using only 2") and hit "save", so i assume with battery voltages i could be trying the same? ( as there are up/down arrows next to the fields- see pic)
battery limits 22.jpg

for 4,5
why is there no full power from zero rpm? ideas?
why, it seems i have different torque from first delivery to now?
08-2021 speed and torque.jpg
08-2022 speed and torque.jpg
08-2021 torque.jpg
08-2022 torque.jpg

anyway what could cause the slow accelleration from standstill? any ideas?
where is the point of using a sevcon´s ability to go full power from standstill if it ramps up so slow that even a kelly will outperform it?

Any help apreciated
btw:
this is my bike
20210321_173004 (2).jpg
20210314_144422 (2).jpg
v4 007.jpg

flo

Hi, first congrats for the bike, it's awesome...was it the 400cc? Isn't it pretty rare, how did you come to electrify it?
I am sorry for these problems, I presume the vendor is kit-elec-shop, right?

What are we talking about here, a sevcon gen 4 size 6? What motor?
What switches are you using and how have you mapped them? Do you use drive profile 1, 2, 3 etc, or just baseline? That can be the reason why you have half the power, because you may be in a drive profile that has that setting...

I don't have the DVT software where I am right now, but this weekend will have to work a bit with it and try to answer some of your questions with screenshots of what registers needs changing.

Hi
yes the 400, long love of mine...had one in the days...
got it cheap and knew it bats fit -so why not?

Not gonna name the vendor openly lets just say it been the absolutely worst shopping experience in my life by a fat margin. Might be just a freak accident but i honestly do not understand how he got his reputation..Zero communication and he - check this out "fines" you one additional working hr for "the trouble your mails caused" - after not answering 20 calls, 10 mails and 10weeks wait for reply - and lying about cause of malfunction or progress of repair...list goes on...one actually should pay him a visit.. :evil:
I have proof all of what i am claiming ...

ME 1115 and gen4 size 4 8035,
not yet using any of the additional profiles, but have set them like 100,99,98% just to make sure. Lowering the max rpm in baseline made clear it is in that profile.

Anyway have got it up to 26 kw now, inching my way up. Seems raising the nominal voltage of motor does the trick...
Efficiency is not good, it takes almost 1kw more at 100 kph opposed to the Kellly, on my standard straight strip both ways- as usual. Which lets me assume the vendor just merely pairs the motor (encoder) and hammers in a basic 6lead acid bat software maybe providing regen or other switch and calls it a day..
I could have made without dozens of printouts of his configuration if he would just have send along the tutorial -which i have had to find online instead....

All in all i guess i am on my way...but for one point:
You happen to know how i get access to the "boost " power that is specified in the sevcon manual?
Like: 200A cont, 350 max, 420 boost?
Would that be only on a switch or could i simply raise max Amps?

cheers

flo

flob said:
Not gonna name the vendor openly lets just say it been the absolutely worst shopping experience in my life by a fat margin. Might be just a freak accident but i honestly do not understand how he got his reputation..Zero communication and he - check this out "fines" you one additional working hr for "the trouble your mails caused" - after not answering 20 calls, 10 mails and 10weeks wait for reply - and lying about cause of malfunction or progress of repair...list goes on...one actually should pay him a visit.. :evil:
I have proof all of what i am claiming ...
I recommend posting your experience(s) including the vendor name / site link here
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=46
to help prevent others from having to go thru the same thing.

(you might find the vendor already listed there)

Hi amberwolf,

good idea in general.
Unfortunately i post form germany , vendor is in europe too, so i just do not want to get dragged into a law suit.
Internet is not a law free area, actually the laws being as strict as in an personal (face to face) argument...

Will answer any PM concerning that matter.

flo

flob said:
All in all i guess i am on my way...but for one point:
You happen to know how i get access to the "boost " power that is specified in the sevcon manual?
Like: 200A cont, 350 max, 420 boost?
Would that be only on a switch or could i simply raise max Amps?

On mine I see that the max Iq is 350A but at certain moments (low rpm /full throttle demand) I am allowed to go up to 420A.
I can't remember seeing this setting anywhere, but if you post your dvt screenshots I may help and at least see where there is something wrong...

What voltage are you running at?

...and another question: do you have a decent price source for the Gigavac maintenance switch? It seems impossible to find...

hi,
will post pics next time, thx for your support.

as for the gigavacs i am using:

I simply ordered them via gigavac germany in munich as a freelancer (selfemployed, own boss - however you call it in your neck of woods) and they kindly send it to me as evaluation units (fully paid for of course) - as they normally do not sell either to endusers or as single units (wholesale only).
But that has been 4-5 yrs ago - now? idk

So if you run a buisness or have a buddy just try that route

Back