Show off your lipo setup!

rui_fujino said:
I've noticed this thread hasn't been used for a while but since I got new lipo setup completed I thought I'll post them here!

I think it helps new lipo users to see what we do is working here on pictures rather than them asking what to do and telling them what to do...

Here is my 20s2p setup. I'm using 8X5s turnigy packs and I have paralleled balance charging tabs for balance charging with battery medics
View attachment 4
This is battery medics when its bulk charging to keep all the cells balanced
View attachment 3
BMSBattery charger on the back for bulk charging
View attachment 2
I made this ages ago but forgot to add :p
battery charge.gif
Battery life setup.jpg

ryan said:
What kind of switch is that?
its a Battery Isolator Switch can be bought on ebay really cheap!
they can take 100A, 500Amp for 5 seconds :twisted: so very good for ebikes...but it says 12v :p not sure if that would cause any problems....

Hi, Just getting around to posting my LiPo pack. It is a 12s6p pack. 44volt 30 amp hours with a BM12 battery monitor in a Topeak bag. It is removable from the bike.
battery387.jpg
battery375.jpg
The Battery Pack is made with Hobby king Turnigy 6s 5AH 20c packs. 4 of them are 25c packs as HK ran out of 20c packs. Each 6s side of the pack contains 3 packs accross and 2 packs deep for a total of 6 packs equaling 30 AH. The 6s packs are connected together by HK paralell boards and balance cable extensions.
battery376.jpg
I took off the pannier bag. Ran the output and balance connectors outside and the Batterry monitoring using a paralell balance cable. I then made a series connector cable. Until I smoked port 1 of my Turnigy Mega 200 watt X2 charger i charged and balanced. The charger cannot series charge so that is why I have a disconnectable series cable. Until I replace the charger I use my Lab Power supply to bulk charge and balance cells. The Battery monitor is able to turn off/ on through the 2 6pole 2 throw switches. One of the pizo buzzers broke I have a replacement from Radio Shack but it is flakey. If someone knows where to get one that will operate 1.5 to 3.0 volt please let me know.
battery381.jpg
battery389.jpg
Here is the bike with the Battery pack on it. The Motor is an old brushed Wilderness BD24 and a controller from Grin Cyclery both which are not available. I have put about 2000 miles on the battery. It has been in serveral spills with no damage. The farthest I have ran on a charge is 52 miles at 20 mph and was still above 3.65 volts per cell at rest. Alarms sounded under full 20 amp load as I had the low volt set to 3.60 volts and then stop as speed increased and draw lowered.
battery393.jpg
View attachment 1
battery396.jpg
I just checked for boken balance or output wires. Was real easy, took about 15 minutes. Port 2 of the charger is still working. I disconnected all plugs from the balance boards and then connected one battery pack at a time and then turned on the charger. It checks balance and output connections. If I had a broken wire I would get a disconnect error from the charger. After testing for any broken wires which also tested the balance board as I connected each battery to their specific location I am happy to report no broken wires. I also pulled the batteries up and checked for any swelling or obivious damage. Everthing looked good.
A Couple of other thoughts. The balance boards are rated for 30 amps. I think this is overated as when I bulk chage at 20 amps the out put wires get rather warm. If i ever want to go higher amps I will replaced the output leads and beef up the traces. The BM12 battery monitor draws 30 to 50 miliamps off cells 1to 3 and has to be in series connected. That is why I added the switches as plugging and unplugging the connectors was a pain and only have it on when I'm using the battery. Still have to occaisionally charge up those three cells to balance with the other cells. I found out just a .08 volt difference is over 2 AH. I use my lab supply at 2 amps. With the Turnigy charger at a 100 miliamp balance charge takes forever. I can baby sit my battery for an hour or a little longer than more than 20 hours with the RC charger.
Overall I wanted a battery that can take me long distance as the town i live in is 12 miles to the big city. Far to go anywhere. My goal is now to get a small bulk charger that I can carry and increase my range further. ES made this all possible as I would not been able to get ideas and sources for this project. Thank You. Ray

24s2p in triangle. <10 seconds in or out as one unit. Easy, simple, effective.24slipo.JPG
mg2.JPG

here is my 18s2p or 12s3p lipo setup

Attachments

• lipo.JPG
    lipo.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 2,211
Since my original reply here:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=531289#p531289
I have setup and tested the removable AmmoCan RC LiPo setup on both CrazyBike2 and the Fusin Test Bike. It would also work fine on DayGlo Avenger but has not yet been used there except for a test ride. This is a 7.62mm-type ammocan, and contains 14s2p, using four 6s and two 2s, which is perfect for at least 20 miles on the Fusin Test Bike, even hauling a trailer full of salvaged stuff in a headwind if I pedal, too.

A second similar but larger ammocan (50cal) is now mounted to CrazyBike2 with a larger pack to support it's 4KW+ burst mode and still have longer range.

Charging is just bulk charging, with occasional balance checks both when it is in discharged states and during charge and after full charge, and so far there are no unbalanced cells at any stage: all cells within a few hundredths of a volt of each other. Charger itself is a simple typical ebike charger, 4A max, from a clearance sale here on ES, and I think it was $10 shipped (I got two different ones for $20 shipped; the other was adjusted for the voltage CrazyBike2's pack is at). I didn't even ahve to adjust it's voltage, IIRC.
Arrival and test:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=529334#p529334
Sale thread:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=35270
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=35274

AmmoCan Pack post with more pics:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=536242#p536242
and a pic of it's guts:
file.php

Fusin Test Bike thread with more pics:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39877
and a pic of the whole bike (which has changed a little but not much since this pic, mostly adding much better lighting):
file.php

and a pic of how the green pallet-straps (salvaged from stuff tossed at work) hold it on the rear rack (which works ok, has had no problems, but would much rather have it in the frame or on the front of the headtube, if I could mount it there).
file.php

It is held from sliding aroudn by 4 velcro strips, fuzzy on the pack and hook on the rack:
file.php

And a pic of it mounted on CrazyBike2, in the formerly open center section:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=536248#p536248
file.php

Mounted on DayGlo Avenger for testing:
file.php

Would've been much better if mounted to the side of the rack support, down low at axle height, but I've had way bigger/heavier loads on that rack that caused me much worse riding issues. :lol:

20s 84v 20AH Turnigy 20-30c 4s Hardcase Lipo Charge in parallel... discharge in series... everything has been capacity verified and the packs have been tested. I spot check with my cell log... im still popping the packs cherry less that 10 cycles... Ive only balanced the initial 2-3 times while verifying capcity. I balance charge the groups individually and bulk charge the packs with an EP Buddy 6 to 1 cable... It works for me.. Its a little heavy but it sure packs a hell of a punch on the bike. I have a lyen 12 4110 12 mosfet controller programmed to 65A and it sure does fly.

Attachments

• STA71136 (Small).JPG
    STA71136 (Small).JPG
    58 KB · Views: 2,168
  • STA71137 (Small).JPG
    STA71137 (Small).JPG
    57 KB · Views: 2,168
  • STA71139 (Small).JPG
    STA71139 (Small).JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 2,168
moostrodamus said:
I want to build a lipo setup with some RC packs. In researching I realize there are a lot of options with regards to rc packs, chargers and balancers... Show off your pack! What charging method do you use, what cells, what chargers etc. Include some pics if you can...I don't read so good!!! Moos
See my saga thread below. Labeled pics, a complete build manual. FYI, these are not "RC" lipo - they're A123 AMP20 prismatic pouch cells, which are part of the lipo class, better than RC. Granted RC lipo will yield a lighter pack, but that's the only advantage in a head-to-head comparison. :mrgreen:

Here is my Lipo Set-up: 18S1P, 5Ah or 3 6S turnigy 20C in series. It is housed in a camera bag (and yes the bag comes with padding).
Hacked the Quattro charger so they function independently - this way i can charge without disassembling the pack, avoiding human error and the risk of fire of course :) ...
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...x6S_Lithium_Polymer_Battery_Pack_Charger.html

I use 3 isolated power supplies set to 16V , 5A capable but i am seeing only 4.2A drawn. The current is limited by the quattro charger. It takes around 1.5hrs to fully charge and balance the pack.

During discharge, i monitor the pack via 3 cell logs accessible on the bag's pocket. The connection utilizes the same connector for charging.

Attachments

• 20130613_195955.jpg
    20130613_195955.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 1,633
  • 20130613_200014.jpg
    20130613_200014.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 1,633
  • 20130701_182005.jpg
    20130701_182005.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 1,633
Back