Smart EBike: Dashboard + Motor controller + Battery BMS

Paulo Pires made in 2 days (just some hours) an Android Application: Smart-EBike dashboard for Android

The application doesn't work in full yet and now I need to take time to debug it on the communications with the controller. Current controller firmware already send data by Bluetooth and I can see the correct bytes on Android application.

The Stig said:
Can you link to it directly when its moved plz
Done: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=38337

I decided to halt the development of the motor controller for some weeks because I need to focus instead on my new electric bicycle and I can't ride it while I don't finish it -- I want to ride it soon as possible :)

file.php

At the same time I had to deal with the cell assembly and I need a BMS. I am now using one from BMSBattery.com but I also started to participate on the development inside a Portuguese team that want the same "Smart BMS". We decided to use I2C for communications between dash board and BMS, and so I will do the same for the motor controller, use I2C instead wireless comunications.
I am learning a lot of electronics for electric veicules... in fact, I own some electric bicycles and soon I will buy an electric car - the Smart Electric Drive. I also plan to buy and use an electric scooter.

About this project, I got some metal heat sink for the mosfets. I will test again the controller soon and I want to use the temperature sensor on the mosfets.

I also got a STM32F100 with 128Kbytes flash memory and I will use it instead the 32KBytes version. I got a printf working and I will use it for the Bluetooh communications, but I need flash memory :)

Attachments

• bicicleta_v4.0-01.jpg
    bicicleta_v4.0-01.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 1,809
I found today that the wiki page of the project at http://www.smartebike.likesyou.org is lost :-( -- seems that the free hosting is not working anymore. I can't do FTP login and so I can't recover the website files/contents. I didn't made a backup and so I am afraid all is lost :-(

I am not working on the controller right now but I am working in team with others (on another forum) for developing a BMS. Is more a cell voltage monitor with Bluetooth and I2C for communication with Dash Board.

Nice to see your progress, casainho! I help a friend to umderstand the SmartBMS from bmsbattery.com. the i2c interface seems to be open doors, since i think the adresses are described in default.eep flash file. Hope i can read the cell voltage values using arduino i2c library, i will test today. Maybe we can work together finding a way to communicate with this bms, like writing a template for i2c to CAN convertet. CAN is more common interface which is my choice for inter controller comminication. The idea is to use arduino as i2c to CAN converter.

crossbreak said:
Nice to see your progress, casainho! I help a friend to umderstand the SmartBMS from bmsbattery.com. the i2c interface seems to be open doors, since i think the adresses are described in default.eep flash file. Hope i can read the cell voltage values using arduino i2c library, i will test today. Maybe we can work together finding a way to communicate with this bms, like writing a template for i2c to CAN convertet. CAN is more common interface which is my choice for inter controller comminication. The idea is to use arduino as i2c to CAN converter.
I prefer to build my own BMS, is much more productive to have my own wich I know in detail and I can repair easly. Most people done their own, in OpenSource, for electric cars. This one and here the sources.

And a board picture:
file.php

On this days, I am fighting with my Smart Electric Car charger, luckly, I found and OpenSource charger for Electric Cars which I will use instead :)

Open Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE): http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/

casainho said:
Paulo Pires made in 2 days (just some hours) an Android Application: Smart-EBike dashboard for Android

The application doesn't work in full yet and now I need to take time to debug it on the communications with the controller. Current controller firmware already send data by Bluetooth and I can see the correct bytes on Android application.

Hi all,

I have discovered this thread while wishing to program a bluetooth interface for my ebike ...
I do program Microchips PICs in C, dotNet for PC, a little javascript...
I am quite aware of BLDC stuff and I enjoy Open source stuff :D
I have already done bluetooth interface for ecar BMS : http://freedom2000.free.fr/BatMon_index.html (sorry in french)

So if you don't mind I will follow this thread and I am ready to help you at least to interface the BLDC controler to WinCE PDA via bluetooth. I could of course release the code in open source.
Could you please help me to point to the controler bluetooth serial interface API so that I could start to study it.

Thanks in advance and congratulation for this great idea of an open source controler

Very best regards
JP

freedom2000 said:
casainho said:

Hi all,

I have discovered this thread while wishing to program a bluetooth interface for my ebike ...
I do program Microchips PICs in C, dotNet for PC, a little javascript...
I am quite aware of BLDC stuff and I enjoy Open source stuff :D
I have already done bluetooth interface for ecar BMS : http://freedom2000.free.fr/BatMon_index.html (sorry in french)

So if you don't mind I will follow this thread and I am ready to help you at least to interface the BLDC controler to WinCE PDA via bluetooth. I could of course release the code in open source.
Could you please help me to point to the controler bluetooth serial interface API so that I could start to study it.

Thanks in advance and congratulation for this great idea of an open source controler

Very best regards
JP

Hello freedom2000!

Thank you for your interest. On next months I will have no time available to continue this project.

On past weeks, I bought an electric car and I am riding my electric bicycle less. I plan to start use daily my electric bicycle next month and I need to build a BMS for it. I am also with problems with my original EVSE ("charger") of my electric car and I am trying to hack it.

Hi : casainho
I have read all your post and I would like to know your code (all code) that you program on stm32f100 to control bldc.
I would like to study becasue I don't know how to write it to control bldc with PWM and hall sensors too.
Please..... :oops:
My Email : Bon_m16@hotmail.com

I very hope it from of you saw..... :D

Thank you very much

Alan B said:
Nice Project.

Too bad about the wiki, backup early and often.
It is now 2017... and the project started again but this time just a firmware -- using dirty cheap, widely available, chinese motor controllers from BMSBattery S / Kunteng.
- Project site: http://opensourceebikefirmware.bitbucket.io/
- Forum message: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=87870

And this video was recorded today, showing the first test on a real EBike of our OpenSource firmware.

[youtube]H1GZXHkMK7M[/youtube]

Merlin said:
.... :?
what the heck are you doing? :D
Testing to see if the controller can run the motor and don't blow up for some reason :) -- seems oir OpenSource firmware is ok so I can move to use a battery and ride the bicycle :)

Back