SoCal Motor Bicycle Race Sat Oct 22nd 2011 Grange Race Track

nicobie said:
Luke suiting up :shock:

DSC01903.jpg

that was me (#104), not luke...

Just wanted to say what a nice experience it was to see what can be done with tomorrows technology.Most of the gas bikes were beautiful machines but the difference between gas and electric is like the difference between flying and levitating.I enjoyed going back to the railroad yard and telling them that I saw a guy go 67mph on an ebike.

dynamo dave said:
Just wanted to say what a nice experience it was to see what can be done with tomorrows technology.Most of the gas bikes were beautiful machines but the difference between gas and electric is like the difference between flying and levitating.I enjoyed going back to the railroad yard and telling them that I saw a guy go 67mph on an ebike.

It was my pleasure to go 67mph on a short straight away for you. :)

nicobie said:
You the one with no shirt on? :p

that is what happens to your belly when you don't pedal while riding your ebike.

wojtek said:
nicobie said:

that is what happens to your belly when you don't pedal while riding your ebike.
That and to many all you can eat crab leg buffets :wink:

wojtek said:
nicobie said:

Im pretty sure that you burn more calories trying to hang onto that bike than you could ever burn pedaling one

nicobie said:
Farfle said:
Im pretty sure that you burn more calories trying to hang onto that bike than you could ever burn pedaling one

I think so too.

Maybe I should build one like Luke's so I could get rid of my big gut :oops:

The fastest way to lose your belly on a race bike is by sliding on it. :)

I figured I'd starve for awhile after blowwing all my money on LiPo & controllers... :wink:

Didn't escape this race event without flats. Had (two) on the borrowed trailer on my way back to Arizona. At least, I didn't have flats on the track this time. I stuggled in the race events with a chain that kept getting wedged between the chainring and the guard. Not good when you need your pedal up on the inside turn so you don't pole vault on your pedal. The day before, I had cobbled a forty something tooth and guard off a bike that I had modded for the kids years ago. It allowed me to provide some peddal up to about twenty. Need to buy an 80+ tooth. Had lots of fun racing. My other hinderance was a sensorless controller that would not start off the line. My sensored one is broken. In one race, I had a brief shutdown from what I think was a voltage spike, but was able to continued in the race. I think I can say that I have the most pimped out ride out on the track as far as the e-bikes go. I also finished respectably in all the races. Had lots of fun and it was good seeing everyone. Wish we had more time together. Tucson Undead Race is this Saturday. Not ready yet. Am going to try to have a controller that I bought from Lyen at this race 72v 24fet ready for Saturday It wont fit in my case and I don't have the proper connectors for it yet. Wish me luck. Good job to all of those that went, promoted, worked, raced, and ran this event. And a big thanks to JimmieD(Headway Headquarters) for overnighting me some batteries at the last minute. It would not have been possible without everyones help. I was wishing that I had the 5403(not 5303) motor from the group buy to race. When I got back home it looks like China(Kenny) baited and switched us to lessor motors. We will see where this shakes out!

Awesome 8)

Another amazing event! looks like you all had such great fun! Pauls bike is a damn efficient looking machine for sure just the right balance combined with a good rider very hard combo to beat, although it sounds without the controller hiccups Luke would have been close.

Those gas bikes were quick too and they do look amazing to boot, Aidans hub motor bike also looked the ticket, whats the full spec on that machine? battery, motor controller? sorry if I missed that in the thread.

Thanks for posting some quality pictures and videos from what looked like a great weekend and sorry that Thudster and Etard didnt get to play with you all, maybe next time?

Hats off to the gassers for organising the race and letting the electrics come play too :mrgreen:

Knoxie

whats the full spec on that machine? battery, motor controller? sorry if I missed that in the thread.
Here you go Knoxie, Adin is the team farfle rider.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31395

PaulD and Aiden are excellent riders. It is also harder for us heavier riders because of the suspension sag in the turns. My body could loose 30 lbs to get to fighting weight but they would still weigh a lot less. My bike is a pig too, built more for show than racing. Someday, maybe I can afford to have bike just designated to racing. In the meantime, I am fast but I could always be faster. My bike ran a stock 5303 crystalyte motor (no venting) and a 72v 45 amp sensorless controller(sensorless is crappy for racing. Other one was broke). 72 volts of Headway batteries at 20 amp hours. Bike frame is a Diamondback Coil modified with a Mongoose extended swingarm. The phase wiring was found to be a little melted together on the outer sheathing because of heat and being doubled back on itself because of the length. The motor and controller held up well under the stress and heat. I need a larger chainring. About blew out my legs from pedaling up to 20 mph, dukeing it out with Sosauty and Dan Hanebrink, can only imagine pedaling more! Motor was only getting me to mid to high 30's, I think. Main drag was uphill. I had to run offtrack once in the ultimate race to avoid a crash directly in front of me by one of the gassers. I also ran off track in one of the previous races when I misjuged a turn but I shot right back on the track. I have an E-Bike Grin on steroids!

Heres the on-board footage from the first E bike heat, more to come:

[youtube]BDbcfz3XZdQ[/youtube]

That video is AWESOME!!!

If you watch from 4:35, you see PaulD make a brilliant pass on me exiting to the straight (he is a far better rider), he has at least 10mph on me and 10-20ft or so, and then you see my catapult ahead as I can finally roll-on harder than 1/4 throttle. :)

Fantastic video! Great riding from Paul D, and Aiden what a job she did
staying 'in touch' with the leaders! Dunno how i would feel about my
lady being quicker than me around the track though, Farfle LoL :p

Luke.. i dwasn't expecting to see your bike corner too fast, looks like
a truck getting around those tight bends LoL.. I can now see, though
why you need motorcycle brakes, there's ALOT of weight
to be pulled up big fella! You have stacked it on in the last couple years
Buddy! All that good Californ-i-a qui "cuisine" ain't helping i bet! :mrgreen: :p

Keep the vids coming Farfle!

KiM

If you look VERY carefully at the 8:48sec point, you can see me stealing the win from PaulD as I make the pass about 20ft before the finish line.

I really wish my bike wouldn't have broken. It would have been SOOOOOOO epic for electrics to take 1st, 2nd, 3rd in the event.

Still pretty epic to take 1st and 2nd though. :)

Great job riding Aiden!

Awesome vid! Once again great riding, Aiden. I love how smooth and quiet that bike is too. I look totally out of control in the corner right after I pass her.
And for the record, I'm not a DH national champion (I wish). I probably stopped racing DH before Aiden was born (ok, maybe not quite that long ago)... I did race a lot of XC mtb, but nowhere near national champion level!
That heat race was such a blast trading places with Luke, can't wait for next time!

HumboldtRc said:
What is the YouTube link for that video? I want to go watch it in HD, stupid iPhone doesn't show the options when the video is embeded.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDbcfz3XZdQ&hd=1

Oops, sorry paul, I thought I had heard that in the pits somewhere. Ill edit that if you want. Ill start the second ebike heat uploading tonight, will probably be up around midnight west coast time.

Back