• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Sorting out the messy wiring in our conversions

cts_casemod

10 mW
Hi,

I have about 20 signals traveling from the back to the front of the car. In short over 20 Wires with simple on/of signals that I would like to combine and transmit over a serial interface with 3/4 wires.

There is a lot of information on serial to parallel, but what do I need to convert from parallel to serial? Can I just use a 555 for clock and some kind of shift register so that I can encode/decode data on both ends?

Better options? Would like some opinions

Regards

Well, you might be able to do something like that, but there are probably better ways. I would take a look around on allaboutcircuits forum, or googling general electronics learning sites where others have probably already done this a lot for other projects.

I did something like it a long time (>20 years) ago, and I don't recall exactly what I did or even which project it was for, except that it was using standard 74xxx series logic chips for everything, and there was only about 7 or 8 inputs. So it was each of those inputs to a single multiplexer (mux) chip, then out along fiber optic using some recycled parts off an IBM networking board, back to a demultiplexer (demux) chip, which separated the signals back to their original discrete outputs. I think I also used a latch on each input and each output, reset by a common clock signal, but I am not certain if I implemented that or if I only considered it (been too long since then).

Back