The Downspout E-bike Battery Case

trackebike

10 mW
I have revised and finalized my low cost e-bike battery case that I used on this bike...
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=235&start=1900

I have posted the 3d models and instructions up on thingiverse.com
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4663454

Naturally you need to 3d print some of the parts (or have someone print them for you), but the rest of the stuff comes from your local home center.

Total weight of the case (minus batteries) is about 10 ounces.

Looking forward to comments and suggestions.

onbike.jpg
alummount.jpg

Looks pretty slick, I have been running the same style downspout along the bottom of the frame (from head set to bottom bracket), it has held up quite well (not huge km's like some on here but 3000 km is a good shake down test). I have mine strapped to an aluminum bracket with all-around in a few spots to hold it in place.

One suggestion is to turn your battery upside down to avoid water ingress from the wires / switch, only really matters if you ride in the rain.

I was looking around about a year ago for some more of the PVC down spout but all I could find was aluminum at the big box stores I looked at. (ie Homedepot, Lowes).

The whole idea here was to have easy attach/de-attach ability...but at the same time have a strong mount.
The weight of the battery rest solely on on the bottom "L" bend of the aluminum bracket.
The dovetail parts on the case don't bear any weight but they limit side to side movement, which was a problem with my first design.

I have put a dab of silicone around the charge port and where the wires exit to prevent water egress. But I'm glad you pointed that out as I neglected to mention that in the instructions.

The Home Depot near me (about 15 miles north of Philly) has the 15" long 3"x2" PVC downspout for about $3.
Search Home Depot website for "downspout extension"

captain387 said:
Looks pretty slick, I have been running the same style downspout along the bottom of the frame (from head set to bottom bracket), it has held up quite well (not huge km's like some on here but 3000 km is a good shake down test). I have mine strapped to an aluminum bracket with all-around in a few spots to hold it in place.

One suggestion is to turn your battery upside down to avoid water ingress from the wires / switch, only really matters if you ride in the rain.

I was looking around about a year ago for some more of the PVC down spout but all I could find was aluminum at the big box stores I looked at. (ie Homedepot, Lowes).

Do you have a pic of how that turned out on your bike? I started looking into this option and was planning on housing 3 - 6S 8Ah packs (It looks like the fit might be too tight for a 6S 12Ah pack), but not sure how it will look once it's done. Thanks!

Here is the bike when it was all together,,,

Side sm.JPG

Back sm.JPG

captain387 said:
Here is the bike when it was all together,,,

View attachment 1

Thanks! That came out nice. [emoji106] I’m on the fence between using something like this, or fabricating something out of 3/16” ABS. I have to check my suspension clearance before proceeding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!

I was able to fit 4 - Turnigy 6s 5.8 ah packs, 3 in the long down spout and 1 pack piggy backing on the main pack.
I had 4 latches 2 per side which allowed me to take the pack off pretty quick in the event something started smoking.

Sorry for hijacking the tread :)

captain387 said:
I had 4 latches 2 per side which allowed me to take the pack off pretty quick in the event something started smoking.

Now you've got me even more interested. I saw the latches, but couldn't figure out what they were doing. Need to look closer now! :eek:

captain387 said:
Sorry for hijacking the tread :)

No problem - We're staying upon the subject! FYI - My 3d printed endcaps may be useful to other implementations.

Great, I have a long list of items to 3d print, and have also added your end caps onto this list. :)
Will look a lot better than my handy man special being a piece of umbrella fabric with a couple zip ties holding it in place. It really was a temporary measure as there was a potential for rain,,,, whatever keeps the water out!,,, 2 years later...

Back