Thru axle to Drop out conversion? Santacruz Bronson

Hello guys,

So I've hit 600Km on my BBS02 Santa Cruz Bronson.

First ebike, and boy has it been fun. Topping out at 50 kph it's fast, but I'm thinking of getting a little more power - I'm afraid of maxing out the bbs02 for extended periods.

My first idea was to just get a phaserunner as it would be a massive improvement over the the BBS02 controller, but there's not too much documentation about the BBS02 running at higher amps with an external controller, would you reckon the motor alone will be able to handle 40A?

Although it would take away from the agility of the mountain bike, lot's of forum members have recommended me to go with the hub route if speed and power are the priorities. Only problem is my daily driver only has a thru axle, are there any conversion mounts for sale to convert it into drop outs?

Cheers

Rhys Gittoes

Attachments

• bikee.jpg
    bikee.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 204
More amps would add more torque to motor gearing and mechanical parts. Unfeasible.

If you want to keep the bbs02, phaserunner and 72v battery are what you need.
You could get close to double power with just 72v 30a compared to 48v 25a.

That said if you are already maxing out the motor capacity, and at 50kph you are, you will be maxing it even more out with any bigger setup.

I since to upgrade it you would be getting a new controller and possibly battery, it would make sense to start a new build from the ground.

Hub builds are different animals. They don’t ride as much as a bicycle, compared to a BB drive. If you want to climb without shifting gears, at a much higher top speed, then a heavier hub build is a must. But, it won’t handle like a bicycle and sure not a good jumper. Riding the mountain trails with a hub build is for fast riders.

We have to make our own mods to frames and components. Bikes are too different from each other to conveniently supply ready made solutions. Yet there was an ES member in Aus who was selling an adapter that was made to bolt on the through axle and caliper mounts, that was fitting many frames. I don’t know if he still has a thread in the sales section of the forum. Making torque plates to fit your Bronson is not a complicated job and does not require expansive equipment. I have made my first with an angle grinder, hand drill, and files. Even today, I sometimes make them just as simple as then. The first set was 4 hours of patient work, some try and error fitting, using 1/4 thick steel off a scrap piece of 4’’ angle stock. And they are still riding 10 years later, 60 mph everyday.

Back