Vectux BMS - Feedback, please!

Here are the latest versions of the schematics for the M-BMS and the Rotary Switch Array.

Attachments

• Vectux M-BMS 2009-05-10.pdf
    184.7 KB · Views: 584
I have made a change to the Vectux M-BMS to allow charging with an external charger.

To allow this, I removed the connection to tab 28R and made a connection to tab 103 (negative end of the battery) instead. This tab is diode protected to allow only charging, but not discharging through this tab.

Now I can connect a charger like "Universal Freddy" and charge the battery independently of the stock on-board charger, without opening the battery compartment.

I added a big red and a big black female connector to the fuse box in the boot to make accidental wrong connections more difficult.

It all continues to work well!

Here is the updated schematic: View attachment Vectux M-BMS 2009-12-27.pdf

The Vectux has now travelled an additional 7500km since the M-BMS installation at 5000km (total 13500km).

The battery has not suffered any obvious further premature deterioration - it sure works!

Hi Mik,
Mr. Mik said:
The results of capacity testing and reconditioning of the 102 NiMH cells of my Vectux are such that 13 cells are significantly lower in capacity than the others. These cells are also showing some swelling.

The damaged cells were almost exclusively located in the lowest of three layers, and the damage done to the cells is in my opinion probably due to exposure to heat radiation from the hot road surfaces, during riding and parking/recharging in the "Australian Sun".
I just found this thread and haven't got past the first page but if you've taken it apart and identified the bad cells why not replace them?

Oatnet didn't have any trouble finding some used cells:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17071&p=249837&hilit=+vectrix+ebay#p258136
oatnet said:
Right now the Vect is downstairs charging, and I am running a time-delay video so I can see how hot it gets. I bought a pack of batteries from a guy parting out a Vectrix, so I have spare cells if any heat up and I can’t get Vectrix to honor the warrantee.

MitchJi said:
Hi Mik,...

Oatnet didn't have any trouble finding some used cells:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17071&p=249837&hilit=+vectrix+ebay#p258136
oatnet said:
Right now the Vect is downstairs charging, and I am running a time-delay video so I can see how hot it gets. I bought a pack of batteries from a guy parting out a Vectrix, so I have spare cells if any heat up and I can’t get Vectrix to honor the warrantee.
Oatnet had a headstart: All the information on V made it quite clear what a good deal he could get right now, particularly if he also managed to snatch up parts from that one Vectrix that has been parted out....

But I started the M-BMS about 2 years earlier....there were no used cells available at the time. The bike that was parted out was the only one so far - and sending the batteries from the USA to Australia would have been just too expensive.

Someone on V just sold a Vectrix for US$1000.- - all it needs is a battery!

I did however get some free cells from a Vectrix rider in Arizona. He had decided to wait for a Lithium option to become available and give away the cells that were still good in his dead battery. But even without a cost for the cells the postage was quite expensive!

But although I have had the used replacement cells available since more than half a year now, I could not be bothered to take the Vectux pack apart. It is working very well, just at reduced range. I have instead just now bought a complete used Vectrix battery (Antiscab put a Lithium battery in his Vectrix) and am planning to prepare it so it can eventually replace the M-BMS Vectux battery. But that will take time.

I am not likely going to take the M-BMS Vectux battery out before I have a ready-to-go replacement for it! And I am not going to make the mistake of throwing a good NiMH battery to the wolves of the poor stock BMS! That means that I need to build another M-BMS for the new battery - after testing it properly (on the bench) for a start.

The brainstorming about it is going on here: http://visforvoltage.org/forum/9675-how-improve-nimh-vectrix-battery-it-becomes-damaged

Back