Water bottle battery

dogman said:
10 ah will be big enough. Wattage ratings of kits is so full of bull, but 12 amps controller is small, so 10 ah is ok.

Hopefully the bottle battery comes with some kind of plug and wire to connect to the bottle. The other end, you put a connector onto that that matches the plug on your controller.

Those bottle batteries bolt to the bike using the same bolt holes in the frame you would use to put a bottle cage on a bike.

Dogman, Have you seen the KEYDE batteries at all? I have heard good things about the BMS batteries but the KEYDE batteries seem much smaller and it doesn't look like they come with mounting hardware. It seems like they just want you to throw the battery in a water bottle cage.

Any ideas?

No, I must admit I have no experience with the smaller batteries. None would ever provide the range I need, since I live on the outer edge of my town. I need 700 watthours minimum , or more.

If the battery just slips into a regular bottle cage, I would not trust that by itself. Use some stout Velcro strap, zip ties, or even tape to be a second line of defense from the bottle coming out of the holder.

If water falls out, what's the damage? But a battery should never be dropped from the moving bike for sure.

Thanks everyone. Let me know if anyone actually tries out the Keyde battery. It seems like it is probably false advertising but who knows.

best,
Ian

ian.irmischer said:
I was really surprised to find a smaller bottle that claims to have > 10ah. I just can't figure out how it attaches to the bike, how to buy it or if it is really that small.
Anyone have any thoughts or have seen anything similar? I am going to have a 350W 36V geared rear motor.
It is smaller because it has less cells. Being 33 volt it has 4 less cells than 36V bottle batteries. Even though it is 10 Ah it has less energy. It would work with a 36 volt motor but would have a lower top speed than would a higher voltage battery.

Hi!

I recently ordered one of those bottle batteries: http://www.greenbikekit.com/lithium-battery/lifepo4/24v-lifepo4-bottle-battery.html , which was a mistake since they are ugly us hell. Anyway, now I got it and its on my bike so not much to do about that.

But I have a question about it.

When I ride my bike the battery makes a lot of noice. It is like the battery cells are free to move inside the battery case. On bumpy roads I get a little scared that my batterycells will get damaged. And it is very annoying to hear the noice from the cells shaking inside the case.

Is it possible to open up the battery case and try to put something inside to make the batterycells not able to move inside, whitout damaging the battery or not getting fried myself? Batteries are like aliens to me, I dont know a bit about how they work. Im thinking about just putting a rag or something inside that will make cells stay put.

Any good advice, please give me, the noise is killing me.

I'd be VERY scared if my battery sounded like it was rattling around in there. It will chafe something, and chafed wires can cause all kinds of problems including fires.

I'd open that sucker up, and find out what's moving, and stuff something in there to stop it. Maybe just some layers of tape in the right spot will do it.

Do confirm it is the battery inside, and not the battery box and mount rattling outside.

To try and get rid of your noise problem try reading Ypedals review of the bottle battery url below, I remember reading it a little while back, I used the search box facility with google search box checked successfully (well got it on second search)
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=54473

if you remove the battery from the cage, shake it, does it rattle ? .

if.. IF the battery pack itself is solid and quiet, no rattle... then it's likely not snapping in tightly into the bracket, a few layers of tape at the to, near the locking pin to fill the gap when it's locked in will keep it quiet.

if the rattle is inside the battery box, then yeah, open it up... see pictures in the link above... i've found loose solder beads, pieces of plastic, dangling wires.. you name it.. a few well placed blobs of hot glue works well at keeping things right,.

Sorry for late reply guys and thank you for your answers.

I found out that it was actually two things that caused the annoying noice:

1) The batterycells and some other things inside the "bottle" had some free space to move around. Not much, about 1-2 mm. Silenced this with sugru :)
2) There was a gap between the bottle and the mounting bracket on the bike. This allowed the bottle battery to bump around when riding. I solved this by adding foam rubber between the bottle and the mounting bracket.

So now at last, the battery and the rest of my bike, is silent.

Back