weight loss

RICK

10 mW
Got into a weight loss bet at work with two other guys, this was about 7 weeks ago. Bet was ended last week as 2 of us were looking rather peaked. Bottom line - won the bet, 46 lbs in 44 days.
The e-bike was the secret weapon, spent nearly 15 hrs a week in the saddle (250 - 300 miles weekly), mostly taking a long route to work. Now only using 5A (current limit on CA), set the speed limit to 20 mph; running a 3 spd rear hub with 48/18 gearing. Rig is a 9C w/a 48V Ping 15 ah, 20A infineon controller and CA, all on a Kona Worldbike (2010, the steel one). At this low power setting range is close to 45 mi.
Between the big miles and eating basically nothing, the lbs came right off. Maybe a little faster than prudent, but I survived just fine. The bike was just right, gave me some help when needed.
Rode it today, pretty luxurious only going 17 mi home instead of 25-30. Amazing what you can get used to...

Wow, that's awesome. I've been without a battery all summer, so I've been just riding my bike without electricity and eating healthy and dropped nearly 40 lbs too. But need to get back on track as I've eased off on the excercising and wise choices eating lately, so I've been lingering around the same wieght for a couple weeks. I'm actually thinking once I get my bike electrified again I'll be on it everyday again too.

Nice job, but a bit abrupt for your health.

Quickest way I ever found to lose weight was trying to windsurf in a winter storm. 40- 50F water makes you burn every scrap of fat on your body in a few hours. Touch and go surviving it even in a drysuit. 50 mph gusts kick your ass, blow you to the other side of the lake, where the five mile hike back to the car dragging a sailboard all the way burns even more calories.

Then I'd have an entire bag of oreos and half a gallon of milk for dinner. Gotta be bad for you to drain your liver that low, but so worth it for the few minuites of that session that you were actually up and sailing in those conditions.

Good thing it wasn't a drinking contest. :lol:

Outstanding job Rick, thanks for sharing. Now the challenge is to maintain the lifestyle change to keep it off. 46 in 44 is setting a great example, because I need to drop 50 and keep it off. I picked up a tandem especially for the job....add a low power geared hubbie and I'm ready for some fun exercise. I can't wait to see what my 20hp+ ebikes feel like with 50lb less weight to carry. :mrgreen:

That's great Rick!

46lbs from what starting weight?

I found that if I stopped eating completely I lost around 1lb a day without any additional exercise.

I've managed to get my weight down to 68kg (150 lbs) over the summer. Started at 75kg (165 lbs). Target is 65kg (143 lbs).

Miles said:
I found that if I stopped eating completely I lost around 1lb a day without any additional exercise.

I've managed to get my weight down to 68kg (150 lbs) over the summer. Started at 75kg (165 lbs). Target is 65kg (143 lbs).

sorry miles that just sounds like an eating disorder without wanting to be rude, I hope you are eating something.

whereswally606 said:
sorry miles that just sounds like an eating disorder without wanting to be rude, I hope you are eating something.
All under control :) I just fasted completely for a few days.... My routine now is to skip all meals, except breakfast, on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

From a related topic: Obesity and Sugar:

" The American Dietetic Association says that each additional 3,500 calories a person consumes results in an additional pound of body weight. That implies that a person who gave up 100 calories (equivalent to a piece of toast) each day for a year would end up approximately 10 pounds lighter at year’s end."

More my speed.

FWIW, with myself and most people I've discussed this with that tried it, they had better luck with weight loss and keeping it off by eating a little less each day, and eating what they do eat in small amounts many times a day rather than a few meals.

I guess it is somethign about the way the body reacts to lack of food input when it's hungry (even if you don't feel hungry) seems to cause it to create or retain fat even when there isn't any food input (except maybe when you're actually starving, but even then it seems to burn off other tissues before it begins to break down fat reserves).

amberwolf said:
they had better luck with weight loss and keeping it off by eating a little less each day, and eating what they do eat in small amounts many times a day rather than a few meals.
For maximising the health gains (reducing risk) from eating less, that's probably the least effective way, according to the latest research...

Miles said:
amberwolf said:
they had better luck with weight loss and keeping it off by eating a little less each day, and eating what they do eat in small amounts many times a day rather than a few meals.
For maximising the health gains (reducing risk) from eating less, that's probably the least effective way, according to the latest research...

That's the way our distant ancestors ate (supposedly). But they had to move around quite a bit and work hard for the few bites they scored. If we had to climb a fifty foot tree to get our snacks we could lose weight that way too.

Electronic food journal is what got me back on track, lost 50lbs in 5 months and keeps it that way. Loseit app can scan and retrieve nutrition info. All you may need to do is enter how much you eat.

Excersize and activity is great but it's a lot like regen in actual benefit. Caloric intake is the main factor - save your breath about the "types of calories". Been there done that, calorie is a calorie. Take in too many over a period of time and you will gain weight.

You can lose weight by eating less, or lose weight by eating DIFFERENTLY. Sugar has no fat, but it signals your metabolism to store fat. Dry popcorn will caust you to lose a little weight because it does the opposite, signaling a dumping of the fat. Things like Brewers yeast will be more effective at that. If you were stranded on a desert island with only celery, it is said you will starve to death more quickly if you eat the celery than if you don't, you'll burn more calories to eat it and digest it than you'll get from eating.

Weight and bulk can be caused not just by eating but by drinking. You can be downright waterlogged, as I suspect I am. (SItting here drinking a powerade after a long walk for the bum leg.) Sodium, potassium, etc., will cause your body to retain water.

So I'm guessing if you get on a rabbit food diet that would starve you EXCEPT you also eat a lot of celery so you feel full, you could lose a lot of weight quickly.

A guy I went to college with made a bet to lose 70 pounds in 6 months, from 235 to the 165 he'd weighed w years earlier. After 5 months he was dipping under 200 but had no hope of winning; then he got sick. So sick, in fact, that he won the bet after a month of mostly soup broth. A few months later he was over 200 pounds again. This 5' 11" guy has been over 250 pounds since he was 23.

salty9 said:
Miles said:
amberwolf said:

That's the way our distant ancestors ate (supposedly). But they had to move around quite a bit and work hard for the few bites they scored. If we had to climb a fifty foot tree to get our snacks we could lose weight that way too.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19112549

If you stop eating or eat a lot less your body goes into survival mode and actually slows your matabolism down greatly.

The trick is to eat small amounts regularly, eat a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, bowl of mixed fruit for lunch, and chicken, turkey, eggs etc, for dinner high protein is good for turning the fat to muscle, hard boiled eggs are also proven to be good at reducing belly fat. Cafeen also increases your cravings, try green tea instead, works wonders after a while, no more cravings.

I lost 20 kgs last year along with exercise and I did eat a lot, but smaller amounts more often. Now with my new job I have to drive 400 miles a week and now it's dark soon after dinner when I get home so I don't get out often now and I notice my belly getting bigger again because I'm not as careful with my diet.

The ultimate trick is you must stay away from any baked foods, too much pasta and rice, and stick with the high fiber high protein diet. If you are eating less then you are doing it wrong. Small amounts more often of the right foods is the key along with exercise.

There is growing evidence to suggest that protein drinks something like they use for body building will shed the belly a lot faster but there are 2 types of protein drinks and only one of them is what makes the difference, I can't think of the name of it at the moment.

I need to get back to my proper diet, I've slipped lately back to older habbits, and too much wine. The alcohol is a major factor in belly fat and weight gain.

o00scorpion00o said:
If you stop eating or eat a lot less your body goes into survival mode and actually slows your matabolism down greatly.

The trick is to eat small amounts regularly, eat a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, bowl of mixed fruit for lunch, and chicken, turkey, eggs etc, for dinner high protein is good for turning the fat to muscle, hard boiled eggs are also proven to be good at reducing belly fat. Cafeen also increases your cravings, try green tea instead, works wonders after a while, no more cravings.
There seem to be benefits to be gained from fasting, in addition to those from simply losing weight by eating less or "grazing" etc.

Miles said:
o00scorpion00o said:

There seem to be benefits to be gained from fasting, in addition to those from simply losing weight by eating less or "grazing" etc.

Of all the diets I've looked into the ones that mostly fail are the ones that involve fasting or high carb diets such as pasta. They are the ones that loose the weight fastest but make you gain it again the fastest.

The slower you loose it the longer it stays off, and eating small amounts of food more often seems to work best.

Of the foods that made me loose weight along with exercise were ,chicken, fish esp salmon, hard boiled eggs, brown bread, lots of fruit and veg. And they were the foods that made me feel fuller longer, I also cut out coffee which made me feel a lot less hungry.

Fatty foods such as peanuts, olive oil, organic (oven cooked) chicken etc are good fats, lesser peanuts.

Why I say organic is because a Program on the BBC a while ago really opened my eyes to the shit sold in supermarkets and fast food outlets.

They tested 3 chickens, a normal cheap supermarket chicken, a free range chicken, and an organic chicken. The cheap one was 70 % fat, the freerange was not much better around 45% fat but the organic chicken was 70-75% Meat.

We mostly buy organic if available no matter the cost. A lot of people don't care about the price of a lot of things that they don't need but when it comes to food people refuse to pay the extra 3 or 4 Euro's for much better quality foods. That to me is madness.

Sure some people can't afford it, but there is a lot we buy that we don't need but rather want.

Reduced-salt foods have two benefits:
  • Sodium tends to help retain water-weight & can increase hypertension.
    Low-sodium foods are generally more bland. ( I get bored with snacking before I feel filled. :lol: )

TylerDurden said:
Reduced-salt foods have two benefits:
  • Sodium tends to help retain water-weight & can increase hypertension.
    Low-sodium foods are generally more bland. ( I get bored with snacking before I feel filled. :lol: )

Yes salt is very very bad and everything has added salt, especially cereal and bread and food companies often say no artifical flavour or Preservatives but are poisoned with salt. Another reason we try avoid as much processed foods as possible. Beer is also full of additives these days, German beer being one of the if not the best as no additives are allowed.

God only knows what will happen as more GM foods hit the shelves.

I have been using Bragg Liquid Aminos to reduce my sodium intake. It contains 64 mg/mL sodium but I find that a few drops adds flavor equivalent to much more salt. i have also toughened my tongue to accept much hotter peppers.

Dauntless said:
You can lose weight by eating less, or lose weight by eating DIFFERENTLY. Sugar has no fat, but it signals your metabolism to store fat. Dry popcorn will caust you to lose a little weight because it does the opposite, signaling a dumping of the fat. Things like Brewers yeast will be more effective at that. If you were stranded on a desert island with only celery, it is said you will starve to death more quickly if you eat the celery than if you don't, you'll burn more calories to eat it and digest it than you'll get from eating.

Weight and bulk can be caused not just by eating but by drinking. You can be downright waterlogged, as I suspect I am. (SItting here drinking a powerade after a long walk for the bum leg.) Sodium, potassium, etc., will cause your body to retain water.

So I'm guessing if you get on a rabbit food diet that would starve you EXCEPT you also eat a lot of celery so you feel full, you could lose a lot of weight quickly.

A guy I went to college with made a bet to lose 70 pounds in 6 months, from 235 to the 165 he'd weighed w years earlier. After 5 months he was dipping under 200 but had no hope of winning; then he got sick. So sick, in fact, that he won the bet after a month of mostly soup broth. A few months later he was over 200 pounds again. This 5' 11" guy has been over 250 pounds since he was 23.

I hope these guys have very elastic skin. :shock:

salty9 said:
I have been using Bragg Liquid Aminos to reduce my sodium intake. It contains 64 mg/mL sodium but I find that a few drops adds flavor equivalent to much more salt. i have also toughened my tongue to accept much hotter peppers.
I'm weaning myself off engineered flavors. "Flavorists" are at the cutting edge of biochem, making the crave-but-not-satisfy additives that drive commercial foods. It's un-policed pharmacology.

I do luvs me some good home-made curries. Garlic is a staple.

Back