Welcome to Members' Hobbies and Interests

https://www.nalsa.org/images/AC99/P000456.jpg

Those BMX tracks can be very nice, I stopped by one for a quick raise of one of the 3 hoodies I was wearing, adjust of toque and putting on of gloves for a quick turn around, out the zig zag gate, quick look for oncoming both ways and twist of the throttle.

I never seen any scooter people playing in a BMX track. The problem is non are in the rental scooter zone, more and more bought their own, but not many kids and kids are the ones that would be using those scooters in the BMX track.

OneWheel's would require more skill and more balls to ride one of those in a BMX track.

Actually I am sure the one skate bowls downtown by the army barracks, surely tons there play the bowls electric style.
I just dont hang out, watching much. Its always a quick 30 second look to see the skill level and move on.

Very few own stand up scooters, I would say $1200 minimum if not $1800 for a decent one.
Better to have mutli-purpose batteries to use on an ebike and scooter. That is what I am wanting to do.
I have to look into if the rc motors can run off ebike controllers, that would be sweet.
Then its just $50 for the razor scooter, and $100 for the rc motor, $150 for a 1800w scooter 48v, 35a on 8" and whatever gearing.

Hillhater said:
Does anyone race Stand Up EV scoots on BMS tracks ? Or even Kart race tracks ?
...just thinking it could be a good fun outlet for some of these “super scoots” !

Very cool Mr. Physics, I am really excited to go back and read more about all the awesome machines you are building and riding. I know about Rion scooters, which are crazy performance racing scooters, and definitely one of the fastest you can currently buy. I am actually using one of their excellent wheel thumb throttles on my sled. They have lots of cutting edge electronics and are super light weight. I really appreciate your input for the center of gravity because it will be important here. I am really intrigued to try to keep the cog as low as possible and still keep the bottom of the deck as high as possible for cornering clearance. I think with a deck thin enough and limited suspension the cog can be below the axel. I think that might be, and always imho, a game changer, at least for this sled. I am after what I would call the go kart effect. Their cog is often below the axel and it makes them virtually impossible to flip and super fun. I am really getting excited to see how this sled will feel. I will shoot some pictures tomorrow for sure. It is hard to take a break when you are so close to riding your dream hot rod! My main short coming is battery. For now I have a 72v 35ah 100a 6000w lithium battery turning my two 96v 12 kw motors. My controllers can handle 300a batteries, but the seller had me set them to 100a to match my battery. I have lots of room for more batteries, so I would love some help and guidance on that when I can show you guys some pictures. I have seen some pretty wild stand up scooter road racing videos from the Philippines, but they were all yucky gas scoots. Word is Rion and Weped scooters will be starting a full blown racing league soon, electric only! That should be epic. :bolt:

Raised Bed Gardening - Cement Blocks - High Tunnel

Link is to the beginning of last season.
I dedicate much of my free time in the local food pantry garden.
Garden overview shows beds for families to the top.
Pantry produce near center and High Tunnel, also for Pantry distribution, at the bottom.
275608488_1021008771821128_4688040401071857206_n.jpg

Just getting prepped for this season, cleaned up the high tunnel beds, planted half of 1 bed with 1st Radish crop. 2 inside beds contain Fall planted Garlic and a Cilantro & Parsley bed.

No official planting party yet, just started a tray of Basils, Cilantro, Parsley and Hot Peppers. just prepped 2 more trays for sweet peppers and Lettuce (half Iceburg and half Buttercrunch).

Family beds upgraded from rotting wood to concrete blocks
file.php

Rebuilt Pantry beds
Local Boy Scout group, and their families, rebuilt the Pantry beds with concrete blocks.
file.php

High Tunnel early prep
Employs rain water collection, solar powered (timed) drip irrigation, solar powered vent fans (adding thermostatic relays), and LED lighting.
file.php

Link to thread documenting 3 years of garden development - Pantry Garden

used to work a ton of hours, still do "when" i work
i got lucky and got hurt at work
lost everything i had but got my freedom back :bigthumb:
i always wanted to run heavy equipment so i switched careers and now i love my job
my "hobby" is having fun
i used to really have alot of fun with the trike on the way to and from work
never felt that good driving to and from work, i never laughed like i did on the trike
if i dont want to work a certain job, i dont
if it means i dont work for 3 months til the next job, i dont work for 3 months
im fine with that, ill go have and have some fun :D
remember when you were a kid and you told your parents you were bored and they would kick you out of the house and you would have to go and find something to do.
if youre not working you need to go out and have fun
some of the cheapest fun out there are PEV's
i was watching a youtube channel, isthereanyfood
this guy just gets it, hes going to the dentist, how much fun can that be
if you dont watch the whole thing, you atleast got to watch at 25:00,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6891eZPEibA

Ok Mr physics, please don’t laugh! This is just a partial mock up of my sled scooter. It is big and I really love it. I have most of the rear end and the front end are done, the rest, wood, is mock up. I built it with wood first to find bugs and quickly change if needed, before building with final materials. A lot of this mock up will actually serve as molds for future layers of permanent material. The steering tube, thank you and yes Mr caleb, is even PVC pipe! What else would a plumber use!? It is filled with wood and epoxy also to make it pretty strong for this temp. use. I used Harley Davidson swingarm bushings in the rear, and I have their steering tube bearing set for the steering tube, but not sure if I will use those yet. I hope to have more and better pictures here soon, maybe even very carefully ‘riding’ this monster scooter mock up. :D

Attachments

• B52FBAC1-06EE-459D-B21E-A35D49FB1E90.jpeg
    B52FBAC1-06EE-459D-B21E-A35D49FB1E90.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 497
goatman said:
i always wanted to run heavy equipment so i switched careers and now i love my job
my "hobby" is having fun
never felt that good driving to and from work, i never laughed like i did on the trike
remember when you were a kid and you told your parents you were bored and they would kick you out of the house and you would have to go and find something to do.

I need a career change. How does one break in to that field? I have considered it as I think I would be a good fit. I can drive anything... well anything anyone's been willing to let me drive anyway. Long background in construction. Fork, scissor, boom, and first aid certified already, lol.

HK12K said:
I need a career change. How does one break in to that field? I have considered it as I think I would be a good fit. I can drive anything... well anything anyone's been willing to let me drive anyway. Long background in construction. Fork, scissor, boom, and first aid certified already, lol.

Get on a gig work site and work for cheap on whatever you're interested. use that to see if you even like the work. Continue to work for cheap until you can work for real money, then branch out on your own.

If you really suck,and can't even start offering service you're proud of, start on your own. Any company will train you to be an employee if you look hard enough. That's a good way to test an occupation out if you truly suck at this point.

People don't expect cheap work to be good. They go cheap because they are OK with 'good enough, i guess'. >50% of people on those sites suck, so the bar is really, really low to the entry point of 'getting started and knowing what the hell to do', if you need some learning.

Go out there and fail to learn. Consider it a paid internship. Then hone that craft, and take it a step further and run your own business if you like that kind of work. Visit a SBDC in your region and they'll help you with all the business stuff you don't even remotely understand.

I just explained how i started a new segment of my business. I had strong skills in some areas, but weak in others. For the sake of my conscience, i worked for cheap in areas where i was maybe a 5, but gradually bumped that skill up to an 8, and decided to officially add it to the list of things i do for money if you call me. And my customer is now getting an end result that both me and them are proud. But that took working for beans for a while where low expectations both mutually understood.

Scootdan said:
Ok Mr physics, please don’t laugh! This is just a partial mock up of my sled scooter. It is big and I really love it. I have most of the rear end and the front end are done, the rest, wood, is mock up. I built it with wood first to find bugs and quickly change if needed, before building with final materials. A lot of this mock up will actually serve as molds for future layers of permanent material. The steering tube, thank you and yes Mr caleb, is even PVC pipe! What else would a plumber use!? It is filled with wood and epoxy also to make it pretty strong for this temp. use. I used Harley Davidson swingarm bushings in the rear, and I have their steering tube bearing set for the steering tube, but not sure if I will use those yet. I hope to have more and better pictures here soon, maybe even very carefully ‘riding’ this monster scooter mock up. :D

Even in plywood and PVC it looks safer than some of the builds on here. Good luck with your project!

I appreciate that sir. I just got through riding it and what a kick! The world’s heaviest kick scooter for sure but it feels great. It feels like your standing really high but the deck is still very stable. I am so tempted to power it up. I think this thing is built for speed and with the long wheelbase I am just dreaming of how fast it could go. Anyone out there breaking any electric speed records, or wanting to? I read a great effort here that just set some. Good stuff! :bolt:

Attachments

• 60DE0A71-F7C0-4874-B880-821AC7F6B423.jpeg
    60DE0A71-F7C0-4874-B880-821AC7F6B423.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 468
  • 72DD8266-7607-4B20-8327-6EFA3F397EC3.jpeg
    72DD8266-7607-4B20-8327-6EFA3F397EC3.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 468
  • ECB25559-BC7E-44FB-A0B8-6F51114CEB32.jpeg
    ECB25559-BC7E-44FB-A0B8-6F51114CEB32.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 468
  • BA8E88A3-100D-47B2-BD62-CA8C5EB3612F.jpeg
    BA8E88A3-100D-47B2-BD62-CA8C5EB3612F.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 468
  • C8DE19B5-5A84-473A-8BA4-4296FAB219B5.jpeg
    C8DE19B5-5A84-473A-8BA4-4296FAB219B5.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 468
goatman said:
used to work a ton of hours, still do "when" i work ...

Good for you goatman. 🏁

I never understood why most people seem to think that you have to work until you're 65 in order to 'retire'. It's not like they've passed a law or something.

We only live once so why not try to have a bit of fun before we pop off.

I don't know if I am smart or just lucky, but I got rid of a regular job when I was 39 and never looked back. Best thing by far I've ever done (with the possible exception of marrying my wife).

You don't need to be rich in order to retire, just need to have no bills. It's not that hard to live within your means.

2022-03-23 17_03_22-Welcome to Members' Hobbies and Interests - Page 2 - Endless Sphere.png

That's a cool looking scooter. Don't ever think I've seen a front fork setup like that. Is that really plumbers tape supporting the fork to the frame? If so, it's the most imaginable use of it I've ever seen. :mrgreen:

I agree with LFP that it's a better build than some here (Late Curtis comes to mind). Most people under rate wood's strength. Used properly it's as good as aluminum, just looks clunky. :wink:

liveforphysics said:
Even in plywood and PVC it looks safer than some of the builds on here.
Like my old CrazyBike2? :lol:

You should look at the updated version, the Cloudwalker Cargo Bike.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=111081
Still gathering parts for it; needs a controller (if I ever finish them and they actually work, perhaps something like the Lebowski/HondaIMA things I have a thread about somewhere).
Rough layout using the old CB2 frame and seat, new fork and motor off an Egrom clone. Would like to make rear suspension but haven't figured out how to do it yet and still have narrow frame with cargo pods bolted to the sides.
20210426_132542[1].jpg

Scootdan said:
This is just a partial mock up of my sled scooter.
I find the dual-sideways-fork concept intriguing.... I guess that would be one way to make a suspension fork for a wheel too wide for the forks themselves, if you have a matching pair of forks laying around?

For the SB Cruiser trike (or it's eventual replacement) I would like to make some form of "Girvin fork", or another more complicated one that probably has a name but I couldn't find it. (also couldn't find my thread with sketches and descriptions of the idea...but essentially take a rear triangle suspension from a bike and rework it so it is attached to a steerer and has the axle dropouts in a place that puts the contact patch where it will need to be for correct trail/etc. Could describe it better but would take a page or two. :(

Scootdan said:
I appreciate that sir. I just got through riding it and what a kick!

YOu might look up Carv'n Marvin's standup scooter build that used tilting dual rear wheels, IIRC. Might be under membername Willow nowadays?

Nevermind...misremembered it; it's a sitdown:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=42671&p=677191&hilit=tilt%2A#p677191
parked[1].jpg

I was actually grooving on your cargo bike before you posted it here Mrs wolf. It gets me wanting to build whenever I see parts laid out like that! You are right about the forks, and I thought they would work well with the added stresses of a powered front wheel. So far so good. I do like swingarm front suspension and they have some great looking types, especially for cruisers. The biggest Dualtron scooter has a wild front single shock suspension that works great you might want to look at. I think the newest Weped scooter might have something similar. I really love the look of the dual forks also. They look pretty sick with the wide front tire. I had not seen that type of three wheel scooter. That is cool. Looks fun. Thank you for posting, I love seeing new and different scoots!

That's a cool looking scooter. Don't ever think I've seen a front fork setup like that. Is that really plumbers tape supporting the fork to the frame? If so, it's the most imaginable use of it I've ever seen. :mrgreen:

Thank you very much, I am really loving it. Yes it is plumbers tape! I am a commercial journeyman plumber, so I can confidently tell you that is not a code approved use! It works awesome as a temporary support and allowed me to ride this monster today. I just can’t wait to ride with power…

HK12K said:
goatman said:
my "hobby" is having fun

easiest way to break into the field is to do the course and get certified, its around 15 grand for a 3 week course
you cant get a student loan for it in BC :( .
theres alot of operators that arent certified, people will you hire you just because you have a ticket, alot of the jobsites need certified operators now.

Back