Your Creation's Before & After Pics

Hello from the UK.

I'm new to this forum and have found it a great source of information and inspiration.

Fitted a BBS02 to my trusty Boardman bike, my first conversion so took me a while to get it together.
Converted the back wheel to an Alfine 8 speed as I had too many chain issues with the original 10 speed derailleur, much nicer now.

Just have to be careful when changing gear.

Philm

Attachments

• board01.jpg
    board01.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 3,110
  • board02.jpg
    board02.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 3,110
Before

11401334_1073841575977183_729352511069524263_n.jpg

After

13133171_1286419334719405_3165278207675892130_n.jpg

There have been changes since the After pic as well. I'll update again when I do the final pics. Cabling and motor wires are run inside aluminum angle on the tops of rear arms as well.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=68921

[moderator edit to add build-link]

This is my newly converted Raleigh Twenty - Bafang mid drive. The bike itself has pedigree, its a real cyclists cycle. It was a favourite of Sheldon Brown and also John Allen, both of who's sites have a pages devoted to the Twenty. Allen has ridden his modified bike for upwards of 25 years.

My bike is largely original, although that will no doubt change as time goes by. (I cycled home in the wet today - braking is really not good with the steel rims. Upgrades required...) Two years ago I did the steering upgrade - the bike originally has a nylon bush for the top race; I have modern brake shoes for marginally improved braking; and a modern sprung brooks saddle. I have a Dawes kingpin from the same era but the Twenty is an order of magnitude more robust, so I wondered if it would make for a good ebike. I think so.

Fitting the mid drive thro the BB was a bit of a struggle. I had to file open the shell slightly. The chain line was way off so I took as much as I could (5mm) off the drive side of the BB shell. So there's no going back now. Chain line is still not great - Depending on chain wear, I may soon fit a SRAM imotion 3 speed hub which is wider than the Sturmey Archer. I Initially had the battery mounted on the cargo shelf above the front wheel. This is actually very robust, but not 8kg worth of Lifepo4 robust. After a commute and a half it was bending under the load. Lashed in its present location the bike handles much better. The springy feel of British steel with the small wheels give the bike good manoevreability for my tight rush hour commute.

Edit: New battery, 14s6p, built with 18650 cells and repositioned above the bb. Bought a Hozan spoke machine and built new wheels. Front has shimano roller brake, rear has sram 3 speed.

Attachments

• etwenty.jpg
    etwenty.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 4,263
Who the heck deleted my post I put up an hour or so ago with the finished pics of my trike? Some of you moderators need to pop a couple xanax around here. Seriously.. Just deleted willy nilly wastes time. I posted them in THIS thread for a reason... I have a build thread I put them in, this isn't the build thread.. Stop it..

It was me [spinningmagnets]

You are selling a product, so that makes you a vendor. Your pic above is embedded with "AMOEV.COM", and you clearly state that this trike is a for a customer. This thread is for a "before and after pic", plus a link to the build for any additional comment. I was being generous by allowing the first post, but now you want a second post in the same thread to advertise?

Perhaps you would be better served by starting a new thread in the "for sale, new" section. I hope you don't mind, but I added the thread-link to the first post above, so readers can find it (If you choose to delete that link from the post, I don't mind)

You called me out in public instead of asking in a private message (PM), so I will respond publicly. You have been warned, do it again and you will be blocked for a week. Don't worry about wasting my time, the ES backend is set up to make deleting very fast and easy, and I do quite a bit of deleting frequently (often several each day), along with amberwolf and Dogman Dan (I should post a screen shot of the spam graveyard page sometime),

Before. A inexpensive bike purchased for my wife around 2005 at Dicks Sporting Goods. I inherited it ariund 2010.
diamondback.jpg

After: I originally started to install a geared rear hub last summer, but decided it was not a good idea for an alloy frame. So I waited til I bought a 750W BBS02 kit this Spring. It was a pretty simple install. So nice not to have any glitches or dead electronics, so far. Bike is faster than what I need.
db1.jpg

My tires are bald, so I will be replacing them soon. I have the bosses for a disk brake up front, so I will be putting in Avid mechanicals.

This is the third ebike in my garage.

Before
wp-20150721-18-24-23-pro_61455ec0d-2.jpg

After (a lot of to-do things, but great to ride :-D)
Frame: RB Dragster
Motor: Modified magic pie 4,7kw peak
Controller: Kelly sine wave 200A phase (120A used)
1mm Stainless Steel custom box
Lasercut box holders and tongue arms
21s multistar 16Ah
26s 100a bms
IMG-20160531-WA0002.jpg

Heres my newly built 2003 Giant Trance 3 45mph @ 60a
Mxus 3k 4t v3 16mm w/ 12t freewheel
20s5p Panasonic
Was using coiled battery backpack before but switch to Iberra bag since it fit nicely in the frame :wink:
Before:
10neu7c.jpg

After:
350qmiv.jpg

2ykj2nt.jpg

2lxts2e.jpg

That looks great. How large is the battery? I would like to use the Ibera bag too but have 16x10AH Headway 38120S, and don't believe they will fit. The 4 packs are 3x3x6" basically. Can you show the battery in the bag?

rmanalan said:
Here's my recently converted 2014 Kona Mahuna...

Very nice man, super tidy. I assume the controller is housed with the battery, very clean. Tip: align your tyre labels/markings with your valve when you next take the tyre off - this way, when its cold, dark and you get a flat or need to add air, you can find the valve super quick. The purist trifecta is inner hub label, valve and tyre marking, but meh, each to their own. Well done! (and welcome to the forum) 8)

I bought this from Walmart for $99 last year, not realizing how bad it was going to be.
kent.jpg

Still, I rode it around a little on winter days.
snowbike.jpg

Installed a Bafang 350W geared fatbike motor. Replaced the fork, stem, front wheel, handbars, crank, crank arms, brakes, and kickstand. Shoulda bought a better bike initially, but I did lose six pounds of steel. I have my 36 volt Dolphin in the bag, but I plan to go with something smaller.Then I will dress the cables. Only need a 10 mile range in winter.

fatbike.jpg

docw009 said:
Replaced the fork, stem, front wheel, handbars, crank, crank arms, brakes, and kickstand. Shoulda bought a better bike initially, but I did lose six pounds of steel.

You can probably lose another 5-6 pounds with better tires, and 2-3 pounds with better tubes. You'll lose a lot of rolling resistance too.

Chalo said:
You can probably lose another 5-6 pounds with better tires, and 2-3 pounds with better tubes. You'll lose a lot of rolling resistance too.

Yes. The old tire/tube weighed 7.4 pounds or 3.3 Kg. Mulling over the Vee Rubber Speedster summer tire at 1.2 KG. Ahh, summer is short. Ordered them.

Before:
29---xE5tPCx.jpg
before.jpg

After:
after.jpg

2015 Fuji Nevada 29er
BBS02 Mid-Drive
Luna Cycles Mighty Mini 52v 7ah Battery
Raceface 38T NW Chainring
Nuvinci N360 Internal Geared Hub
Thudbuster ST Seatpost
Arkel Tailrider Bag
Rockshox Gold 30 Fork
Seat came off a Sondors THIN
Schwalbe Marathon GG RLX Tires

My commuter- very fun to ride.

WebEsquire, what do you think of the Thudbuster seatpost? I'm looking at the ST and the LT versions and am curious about what people think of them. Thanks.

After:
View attachment 1

2015 Fuji Nevada 29er
BBS02 Mid-Drive
Luna Cycles Mighty Mini 52v 7ah Battery
Raceface 38T NW Chainring
Nuvinci N360 Internal Geared Hub
Thudbuster ST Seatpost
Arkel Tailrider Bag
Rockshox Gold 30 Fork
Seat came off a Sondors THIN
Schwalbe Marathon GG RLX Tires

My commuter- very fun to ride.[/quote]

My FWD delta trike.

Before:
13603782_10157075856465103_1288904650766928602_o.jpg

After:
13584679_10157075854145103_177150891822781656_o.jpg

I'll create a thread showing the build eventually...

Back