Your Creation's Before & After Pics

Before:

-tfFdzQ3XJ0EGvlayaoGga8AnD1JfSQfiWsiPOklHgRtxlaifGzp34__BJtC7QSTU8T8aROS_T169sqHxEt-NxElZwfL8OwUVoI6HuL-ajjBbtqSykDJitMH-dgGRUHhu5PrK191ALpG4j_BPzq39ZDCVifYDojWpPteQPhJBx4BFeOOqJOZD7lC8BIpx8PNZX1cwq0Z92ATB0Edy3CgdELZwH5ym6DnUMpZ24waAVmn9HS381gtBIdkICCk4cHUXFLAGzgSaspFxxV8agpsW_9Cw93g9_HvdpMThzxmDqUpQEEWa0sf7Qh3dPK-7kJTYHV5tDpUYxNMS8n2BRi9lgmOik7cdta-TYm4zXbbYROvOapM-6UzeBt6uJNwdbwzsvz3OlA43cq_GdtoMzlKSDsIq4CarNV0YiwPAehgum7fegF6JC8hmXj-IyGbpsVE5K-ylZB9aoF3YH3C6s9JLODg9Rb07k3qqMc2ADJstPodV3lWbHPE8oZK4LW0MTm4WoZ0hcO8Anv8h94446opCxuLDkl3vvQ6xp39u9Joaa_tQ5KYcFqewtpomNpPcHXboxoLgQ=w800-h450-no

Intermediate: (Stock assembly with frame bag sitting in the triangle for size check).

fiJ4Y7ZinLTF9dp6ye97QyohhRQhN0FTgbHsO4l_jJd5LcIc7WkSsU0CP6w1XHtnr0-tzWkgxgk9Wc8z5U3KoacnYhTsbAZLXuG0BYpU_dwvGCh1EEu-g0K0lxsWqD-KaLj3Ks-ThJcOOHrj3sHFnQOp_kUpSP0P7cv2ScxAXHSfVGyNBbAKLClFSiT7aCveVAS_tAppzLtgENkFq9Zq5LGO_B7I8J094TftYpNhGLxRu9mzf_iYI1PYnP9ozxZQUMew0trYZfH003GlwCfv4hTvjpSKAgezrsAFVxyP2BMIPs9IHLRQIgZDADWIuvSN0EAk5d1qqj9pROeY2q5rIHDoHtFbOg3x7fTp4OaXhTRW79Fomb9xHP6yv0cWuukf4oSjMpncKDg5Hw8RxbPz1cUyQw2feI-e75jkwS8PSOZXF5DsKrDBKOUw-PCac5m2W9vzuTg9yr8vsA4M7eZkbWN85pd9vmV-sy6KMspMpHlYHpYNpS9tQMdFWXOnI7ZwTCwtMRFmU5x_EC6HGkYz6utzBLsbVjwU9Y87Esh3uwCn4lWmCQ6lajn2mICim0sXGslfqw=w800-h450-no

After:

rk9DHMceIUT2N5pvnkUn6i6r_qxfGGurDOqREJ5HR3LHQlDSBKqAk3cc7TzS4-BzUIjPHf8gPddru0O6P4Dl9C1mjRpxY_5Hr0aF-NBRRvrEZ3HL5nhzTA0Arr8iKPAossKEU-x3xVq14v7PBCy8qbVcvnUqFajfFXfOp56E-nBbNWKabUuZn76N6dxqINFqaFf11YZRFCXmmkvhIDbq6mogK0N_qrJlxc_c5nOYQklnC99FnybP0hEh6ldMV5yQdYPVZZ6LXBFpqIYfi_3KoEvmwoeSH_YI0x86eJDAGvAsmH_2t12oaK3e5rg4IJFtFZbVtgqglugIY7qMEYwYXUL4vAc1PbFJwvG9N7qbAp3KaCaAyzNVMgC2PhT6n4KpECAZt1kMkex5Eu1yePCohMIVnRz7dc_F3poT8h58_AZduD0DBtnrpxNtAAs1O1lOPl1MGpCzlYBta6AcP5r-dvW2S2jEc7SZxABQj76B5belEAg2XUBt3DtGAi-AF_sNgZXpnuC80NTihLeS6NGuaxHnaE2ydObgfYKUjb4_BweU6C4GXRsR10kgPGRQMi12bLfmeA=w800-h450-no

ES thread on this bike: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=78722

Edited to reduce images to 800 pixel width per forum rules

First e-bike!

This started life as a mountain bike, turned into a pavement commuter, and it's now electrified.

Q100H High Speed front hub motor, with a 52v 12 AH battery. It weighs about 46 lbs, gets to ~25 MPH on flats on the motor alone, and 34 mph pedaling full out. Hills are slower, but just a little pedal help keeps it above 20 mph on even the steeper (350' climbing over 1-1.5 miles.) ones. I tried to balance keeping a practical bike, with having a practical electric boost, and this is working out. On my commute before, I'd keep about 14-15 mph average, and now I'll stay over 20 mph. The battery and motor do add quite a bit of weight, but it's still perfectly usable as a pedal bike.

My biggest concern is aluminum fork with a hub motor, but torque arms, a low power motor, and inspections have mitigated that. 400 miles down since modification, and I'm pleased. 25 mile range at 30 mph with pedaling.

Attachments

• TREK.jpg
    TREK.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 5,645
WinglessFlutters said:
First e-bike!

This started life as a mountain bike, turned into a pavement commuter, and it's now electrified.

Q100H High Speed front hub motor, with a 52v 12 AH battery. It weighs about 46 lbs, gets to ~25 MPH on flats on the motor alone, and 34 mph pedaling full out. Hills are slower, but just a little pedal help keeps it above 20 mph on even the steeper (350' climbing over 1-1.5 miles.) ones. I tried to balance keeping a practical bike, with having a practical electric boost, and this is working out. On my commute before, I'd keep about 14-15 mph average, and now I'll stay over 20 mph. The battery and motor do add quite a bit of weight, but it's still perfectly usable as a pedal bike.

My biggest concern is aluminum fork with a hub motor, but torque arms, a low power motor, and inspections have mitigated that. 400 miles down since modification, and I'm pleased. 25 mile range at 30 mph with pedaling.
First off, the Q100H is not available in a "high speed" version, only as a "201" and a "260".
According to the Ebike CA sim., A Q100 260 in a 26" wheel and being pushed by a 52 Volt Ping tops out @ 24.3 MPH. Pretty much what I myself and at least a dozen others here have experienced.
There are a half dozen or so serious roadies here who run a "high-speed" 328" on serious road bikes and even with Voltages higher than 52V, see only 27 to 29 mph, pedaling.
It weighs about 46 lbs, gets to ~25 MPH on flats on the motor alone, and 34 mph pedaling full out.
Please. Again the sim. show a mountain bike needs about 600 Watts to get to 25 mph and around 1400 W to reach 34 mph. So you are adding 800 watts with your legs??? Better sign up for the Tour de France.
Show us some video(with a real speedo/GPS), or none of this happened.

Awesome, you should repost as a build thread in the General discussion section.

Fechter, Motomech, thank you for the kind words!
It's been a fun project and I'm pretty happy with result.
Rides nice. Haven't pushed it hard yet, but on
round the neighborhood rides it feels great.

Did do a separate lightweight build post:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=74252

I'll update that post tomorrow with links to some of the sites
where I found good info on working with bamboo / hemp or carbon fiber / epoxy.

2005 Specialized BigHit

Before:
VdTR7Bj.jpg

After:
HhZ1rZ3.jpg

IFmDKcO.jpg

qXUvJK6.jpg

Sabvoton 80A Controller

4pXT2Cv.jpg

20S 10Ah Lipo's in detachable Seahorse SE-300

qM1Cm0K.jpg

Sram Guide RS

Z7MpQ5O.jpg

Marzocchi Monster

H4gsyJi.jpg

Cromotor replica

BTW, endless-sphere is the only forum I use that you have to resize linked imgur pictures...

Very much after...with a rider.
These kind of velos are old Finnish tradition from the forties. 110km ride yesterday with lycras.

Attachments

• Prologi 004.jpg
    Prologi 004.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 4,830
Lurkin said:
^ Super Cool. Feel free to PM plans to build one if you have them.....

/Threadhighjackover

I would need some guy who could draw plans, to produce them. It"s totally DIY.
Aesthetical style takes inspiration from those old Finnish vintage velomobiles.
Here"s one pic more.

Attachments

• Prologi 007.jpg
    Prologi 007.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 4,804
XLR8 said:
Come on, unbutton her and let's see what is under the covers.

I try to blog and link some pics soon. It is very, very simple technically. No high-tech or fancy parts. Takes less time to build than giant scale RC-warbird, around one month.
I have no chance to weld anything, so everything is done without welding.

Lurkin said:
Sounds exactly like my cup of tea. Do you have a build thread for it?

Not really. There is a blog which can be found if you google "velogatti", but there"s not much about building it. Just common e-talk basically, ride reports and history.
It is a nice ride even with just 500W DD motor. With 1500W fast-wound DD it would a blast. Over 1kw is actually too much really for it. There no rear suspension. 45 km/h it goes nicely.
My record is 60,2 km/h, which is as about fast as you wanna ride it. It"s comfort zone is 30-40 km/h cruising. It may look like a car but riding it differs from car driving.

Cornering is something between the bicycle and a car. When you learn it"s limits it"s very fast but if you cross those limits it gets very hairy very fast. Bit like flying an aeroplane, you have to stay inside the envelope and not stall it. Would not give it anybody under 18, too dangerous. It does not forgive much, like four wheels do. Turning radius is around 15 meters.
It"s really fun but it"s not a "product". It"s lot like car but on corners you have concenrate on balance like you do with a bicycle. After a while you learn the exact limit when it raises either front wheel off the ground and you can avoid it. You can not drive it like a car, just sitting there still, you have to be alert like with a bicycle.

I guess enough OT now. I try to blog some technical pics soon.

Eskimo said:
My record is 60,2 km/h, which is as about fast as you wanna ride it. It"s comfort zone is 30-40 km/h cruising. It may look like a car but riding it differs from car driving.

Cornering is something between the bicycle and a car. When you learn it"s limits it"s very fast but if you cross those limits it gets very hairy very fast. Bit like flying an aeroplane, you have to stay inside the envelope and not stall it. Would not give it anybody under 18, too dangerous. It does not forgive much, like four wheels do. Turning radius is around 15 meters.
It"s really fun but it"s not a "product". It"s lot like car but on corners you have concenrate on balance like you do with a bicycle. After a while you learn the exact limit when it raises either front wheel off the ground and you can avoid it. You can not drive it like a car, just sitting there still, you have to be alert like with a bicycle.
This sounds a lot like my recumbent also...the speed and the handling characteristics sound identical. Any time I let others ride it I warn them a lot before hand. I've had a few nasty crashes, but thankfully nothing so serious to permanently damage me or the bike yet.
I can't remember if I already posted about it in this thread before, but here goes again anyway.

Before:
P1070127.jpg

P1070128.jpg

After:
P1070576.jpg

P1070582.jpg

I also have plans to soon put a long battery down the inside of the frame. See my build thread for details.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=57751&start=200#p1163205

Cheers

here here CD

I can testify to that :D

I love the Velos :mrgreen: Its like a bicycle Morgan I have 1929 Ford model A roaster and that corners the same way I think its the skinny tires too they track the road and every little bump.

Cheers Kiwi

XLR8 said:
Come on, unbutton her and let's see what is under the covers.

There are some pics now:

http://e-cruiser.blogspot.fi/2016/04/velogatti-technical-pictures.html

ATTACH]

Here is my commuter bike so far.

I started with the Kona Ute. I originally wanted a Yuba Mundo but couldn't find a used one that had disc brakes. It is aluminum and 29er wheels.

I bought and put on a Lightning Rods small block kit (beautiful setup) but didn't want anyone messing with my bike so I bought a BBS02. I enjoy this motor also because as I ride I see all these fast riders looking at my bike and me and thinking how is huge guy keeping up with me? The motor and battery are hardly noticeable. You would have to look closely to see the wires. They match the bungee chords.

When my IGH (Nuvinci n360) breaks down I will switch to a cassette system because it is easier to work with in the Winter if you catch a flat. Since I bought the Schwalbe Marathon Plus and the green slime in the inner tube I have not caught a flat in months. Now I am talking about approximately 400lbs total in New York City. Maybe there is another city with as many potholes as NYC but sometimes I have to ride against traffic on some bikes lanes because I have memorized some potholes.

On Fridays it is the best of all commuter days because I leave early and commute about 10 miles all scenery.

The BBS02 is a powerful motor. I thought the motor wasn't that strong. On my Friday commute there is a spot where thee is a downhill and with the momentum I always shifted to the easiest pedal mode on the bike because all of a sudden there was a big incline. Not a hill but a big incline. This past Friday I had to stop right at the incline to let a woman with a stroller go by first because there is not enough room due to the small entrance/exit of the park. When I started the throttle at the start of the incline, I heard like grinding noises and then a pop and the crank was just pedaling without moving. I thought I broke the gears inside because I was just pedaling and the bike was not moving with just grinding noises which I thought were inside the motor. I locked the bike and went to get the car to put it on my car rack. When I got home to park it in the bike rack and make a video, I began to push the pedals and heard the grinding at a different angle. The noise was coming from the back of the bike. What I noticed was the chain came off the cog in the back and was rubbing against the housing of the hub. I was so surprised. I put the chain back and everything was working. It loosened the nuts and bent the derailleur but nothing broke. I love the power of this motor.

I ordered a BBSHD to ride in Summer and a BBS02 for the Winter. Having 2 motors is a plus due to the ease of maintenance and always have one motor working.

Because of the knowledge I have obtained in my DIY project I have gotten other people to look at ebikes as modes of transportation. I had one of the security guards in my building approach me with the ebike he had just purchased at a flea market. Oh my God what a mess. Wires were pulled. The cylinder where the key goes to the battery was forced in and the charger had no connection to the battery or throttle. I informed him I could just show him what I understood was wrong and what he had to do to order a whole new system. He didn't know he needed a charger to charge his batteries which have no label as to what voltage. I informed him I would be available with more information Thursday night because I did not want to be late to work.

I will just show him what small kits are available and let him make the decision. Endless Sphere has been my inspiration and information source.

I hope to continue evolving as the Ebike evolves and takes its place in NYC.

Thank you Endless Sphere.

Before

Started with a Cannondale Lefty 29er I purchased used off craigslist for $500. New the bike was around $2300!
The kid who owned it didn't keep it very well. I cleaned, degreased and regreased every bearing in the bike that I could to get it feeling like new.
The shock was serviced last year so it's like new.

I upgraded the brakes to Shimano M785, Shimano Ice rotors, 10 speed Shimano shadow+ rear derailleur, Maxxis Hookworm tires.
I took the Cirrus seat-post from my wife's e-bike (came with it for free) since she does not weight enough to benefit from the elastic polymers installed.

After

As for the electric side of things I went with a BBSHD from Luna Cycle for my 73mm BB.
I converted the original 73mm BB30 bottom bracket to a conventional BB using FSA's conversion kit and a homemade press from a large bolt and a couple washers! Took some elbow grease.
42 teeth Luna chainring. Cassette is 34-11 t.

The battery is 52v 24ah from Luna.
I also hooked it up to the batt-man display to keep an eye on my battery/watts.

Between the lefty shock and the Cirrus seatpost/hookworm tires it rides like a dream. No fatigue, cruises over potholes doing 30+ no problem.
For some specs it weighs 51 pounds, max speed of about 35 mph on flat on a fresh charge in an aero tuck with motor only and I put out 1500 watts according to the batt-man.
On a slight downhill I have had it up to 43 mph and I'm sure I could have gotten more.

I have thought about trying a new controller to up my amps to 40-45 and squeeze out a bit more performance but after consideration I have decided not to as I feel gaining a few more mph is not worth it for the added cost, work, less reliability and diminishing returns, and the bike would be less stealthy (sometimes I carry my battery in a backpack)

If I want to go faster I'll just buy the Honda VFR I have had my eye on!

I have many more pics of the build I can post in a separate thread if it would help anyone.

Decathlon (or B´twin) 500s

Upgraded with: Front Shimano hydraulic brakes, 60T chainring, air shock , double crown forks, saddle, variable angle stem and DMR MOTO 26x2.40 tyres.

Generic rear DD hub motor, approx 45A modded controller, 15s1p 4000Mah lipo battery inside saddle bag. Battery is enough for a short (6 miles) fast commute.

Before:
lhhu2hdrgi.jpg

After:
20160426_090121.jpg

Back