Yuba Mundo fat tire electric

mr.pibb

1 W
Hey guys. I got my lucky hands on either a v1 or v2 Yuba mundo. I will be making it a fat tire bike.
I found this thread on another site:
http://forums.mtbr.com/cargo-bikes/yuba-mundo-thread-749942-4.html

It pretty much means I can run a 3.5-4 inch tire in the rear with a nuvinci 360 axel and stock crank.

And I was thinking about putting a surly moonlander fork in the front with a hub motor. That way I could fit a crystalyte ht3525 in the front hub and also get a 4 inch tire too.

Does anyone see any downside from going with the nuvinci 360 in the back and the hub motor in the front?

cool.
with a huge fat front tyre at low psi, that should be all the onroad shock absorbtion you need :D

bike fan of cargo bikes.

myself id use an 4065 or 5404 if i had the option, more torque.motor in the back, cause if your going up a steep hill with a big load on the back, the front wont have much traction.

and wouldnt worry about gearing, just single speed freewheel, big battery pack..say 60v20ah lipo4 or liion.

should be the ticket to a dream machine for halling huge amounts of stuff at good speeds all over the place :D

heres my wanabe cargo setup, always wanted a real longtail but got sidetracked by hooning :twisted:

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 4,292
I like your bike there. It is similar to my trailz in my signature picture. Only you got a whole lot more cool stuff.
ridethelightning said:
cool.
with a huge fat front tyre at low psi, that should be all the onroad shock absorbtion you need :D

:twisted:
That's what I was thinking. It would be like riding a magic carpet lol (not after what I was planning next...)

No, I was planning on going lead acid. I was thinking and I know I will sound crazy, but 4 marine deepcycle batteries. Yeah they weigh 57 each. :shock: I want to put 2 on each running board. lol :shock: 105 ah 48v system only $400. That's over 5000w battery bank
Yes its overkill but I figure why not-the frames rated to 400 lbs + rider weight. That still leaves me at still 172 of extra gear I could carry, which I assume is only a suggestion anyway. 8) I only weight 135 lbs myself. I plan to carry the batteries, me, and actually maybe up to 250-300 additional lbs of additional cargo. I guess well see what fails first

holy crap :shock: :shock: :shock:

umm.. what brakes you plan to run? not sidepull i hope :lol:

5kwh is looking good for going longterm bike camping or something.

have you really thought this through?

1kwh of headways is only 13kg or something, and gets me plenty far for work, maybe 50km without pedling. maybe you need to be able to have 2 battery setups to add more if your planning on going awol :lol: ?

Yeah I gave it some thought. I cant afford lipo. And for $500 I could go agm 55ah and get way lighter batteries like 35 lbs each. But essentially I am paying $100 more for 1/2 the battery that I can get if I get a full size one...

Is it smart to go heavy probably not? but it will basically be a tank for my daily trips to the post office. That is what it would mainly be set up to do. I would need a big bank to get a heavy 150-300lb pay-load all the way there.

As far as brakes I would have probably a hydraulic disk brake on the new surly fork and the rear frame only has a spot for v brakes so....... hopefully stuff gets out of the way. :mrgreen:

I realize it wont be so much bicycle as it will be 2 wheel golf cart but hey it will be pretty awesome if I don't have to take the car ever again.

Uh, where do I start? How about with the good parts of the plan.

Some models of the Yuba have been reported to have a weak fork. So damn fine idea to replace it with a surly fork. Have to anyway to go really fat tire.

I see no problem with the front motor. Somebody mentioned hills, but a front motor is not going to slip any on a 10% grade paved hill. If you will not carry the battery in front, then a front motor will help balance out the bike better than a rear motor. Bear in mind, that fat fork may not be 100mm. You might need to run a rear motor on a fat front fork. Research the axle length you will need before buying the motor.

But that battery you plan on. Oh god, no. Not cheap lead that big. You'll be disappointed for sure. Your golf cart needs golf cart wheels to carry that much weight every day. Besides punishing the rims and spokes, you will find that loaded that much the frame is going to start flexing. It's going to handle like a motorcycle with pedals on it. Oh sure, load it with the same weight of cargo when you need to. But to pack 150 pounds of lead every inch of every ride. You sir, have a baaaaaad idea there.

I understand the budget is low. But you can get a decent range lithium pack for under $500. A 5-6 mile range RC lico pack can be as low as $200 including a slow charger. I know, the lico is dangerous. But I would think riding that lead pig in traffic would be ten times the risk of charging your lico in a barbeque grill in the yard.

Unless I misunderstand, you will need to buy the nuvinci. Get it later, and buy a decent battery now. Look at the 36v version of bottle mount battery at EM3ev for example.

Same for all those new wheels you will be paying out the ass for to go fat tire. Get a battery now. Get the fat wheels and stuff later. Run that thing on some cheap balloon cruiser tires for now.

Bear in mind, that cheap lead has to be discharged at a stupidly slow rate to put out the rated Ah. You will have a real world 50 ah or so. My 48v 45 ah lico pack on my cargo bike weighs less than 40 pounds. And I do get the full wh from the newer half of it.

cwah said:
Where can you buy batterues for so cheap?

Sears.com was running a 20% off sale but now I guess its only 10%.
You need cores otherwise it will probably be an additional $20 each.
But yeah you can get a 57 lb 12v 105 ah marine battery for $100.

dogman you give a good reason not to do it. But The 4 inch tires should be able to handle the extra weight-maybe. lol...hopefully....
And the frame is about as strong as I can start with.

I figure its worth a shot. If it doesn't work out I have a diesel truck that needs new batteries and my boat could use the others. :mrgreen:

I think it wouldnt handle so bad with the batteries so low and center on the frame....

I ride my 24v trails with 2 35ah batteries. They are like 25 lbs each and it handles ok :roll:

And they should be able to discharge... It will do several hundred cca to start a vehicle. Should be able to take 20-30a continuous.

My p.o. is ~ 10 miles away and I plan to make the trip daily carrying around 250 lbs of cargo. So I will need a fairly large battery to get the job done, maybe 1000wh min. Ive looked into life04 and lipo. I will easily be spending $1000 on a battery. So I figured I would try it the insane route first. :wink: Well and the other reason to stick with lead acid is I would really like to put some 100w solar panels on the bike.... Forgot to mention that.

The cost to go fat tires not as much as you would think:
$100 for the moonlander fork
$50 each rim
$50 each tire
$15 each tube
New spokes/nipples $50

Under $400 and I should be able to fit 4 inch tires front and back.
Well and plus $250 for the nuvinci. Otherwise I will have to change out the rear cog to like 3 gear or single to avoid chain rub.

20 miles round trip, loaded heavy. It will take a few ah. 1000wh is about what I figure too. So a little bottle mount won't do it.

But 128 pounds of lead? That's going to make your frame whip like a noodle when you try to put in a steering input.

A high speed wobble will be happening at 5mph. But it will be a slow wobble. It gets tiring correcting the bars for that mile after mile. What happens is every thing you do at the bars, just bends the frame. It's fighting all that weight back there.

You might look into kludging a trailer out of a dolly or something,

While I like the first part of your plan, I Also see some big problems with the second part.
A Fat tired Yuba would be an epic ride.

The only rim brake capable fatbike rim was the Surly Large Marge. Sadly, Surly doesn't offer it anymore. So you will likely have to weld on a disk brake mount for the rear.

Also keep in mind, those rims are >$100 a piece, and the tires average $120 a piece. Not to mention the $120 for the new fork, the $200 for the disk brake, another $20 a piece for fatbike tubes. The Nuvinci is another $350. You're looking at $1150 in parts so far, and we haven't even covered rear brake of getting the wheels laced.
If you skipped all that for now, you could afford a good battery.
Or you could choose to spend all your cash on building an epic bike, then totally ruin it with 200 lbs of dead weight that would make the advantages of the expensive parts totally worthless.

Drunkskunk said:
While I like the first part of your plan, I Also see some big problems with the second part.
A Fat tired Yuba would be an epic ride.

The only rim brake capable fatbike rim was the Surly Large Marge. Sadly, Surly doesn't offer it anymore. So you will likely have to weld on a disk brake mount for the rear.

Also keep in mind, those rims are >$100 a piece, and the tires average $120 a piece. Not to mention the $120 for the new fork, the $200 for the disk brake, another $20 a piece for fatbike tubes. The Nuvinci is another $350. You're looking at $1150 in parts so far, and we haven't even covered rear brake of getting the wheels laced.
If you skipped all that for now, you could afford a good battery.
Or you could choose to spend all your cash on building an epic bike, then totally ruin it with 200 lbs of dead weight that would make the advantages of the expensive parts totally worthless.

Yeah your probably right. But think of those electric ninja conversions that have 5 or 6 batteries in them. I only want 4 :wink:

But yeah I can get the parts for half of what you think it will cost:

Rims $51 each double wall unlike surly and not drilled :mrgreen: : http://www.ebay.com/itm/130886655398?item=130886655398
Tires $40 each 26 x 4 http://www.bikewagon.com/origin8-tires-devst-26x4-0-wire-belt-black-black?CAWELAID=400006350000070639&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=400006350000313360&cadevice=c&gclid=CNmdgOv6ob4CFWIF7AodrBgA9w
Got a local bike shop that ordered the fork for $106 and am looking for a used hydraulic setup.
The nuvinci you can get for $150 for a 32h version but I would prefer the 36h version that's $250. It isn't critical but the more spokes the better. The original tire came with 48 spoke. I wish they had a 48 spoke nuvinci. :idea:

So with everything just to go fat before any electric considerations Im looking at like $650

Im thinking slow, wide, heavy, ugly. Something like an old buick, but a bicycle.
Basically combine these 2 videos of inspiration:
[youtube]i7z7lUaIkeM[/youtube]

[youtube]pPt2Qcf4Ds8[/youtube]

And if you really want a good laugh I was planning to put this on the longtail
to give someone a nice seat and plenty of store for the controller and other misc components needed.:

Attachments

• trunk.jpg
    trunk.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 4,149
Jealous. That thing is awesome. How did you attach the trailer? I wanted to do a trailer but I didn't want a traditional bike trailer with the curved arm. I thought about using a trailer that would normally be behind a small lawn mower tractor.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200485223_200485223

Thanks for the link. Cool set up so how many lbs have you carried in the trailer? :p

Back