Yuba Mundo fat tire electric

ridethelightning said:
i dont know if im happy or not to see commonsense prevail, because i was looking forward to see some entertaining pics of the lead setup :lol:

its sort of in the same league as the guy here on e.s who made a barfridge size cabinet on the rear rack to attatch ryobi drill packs.. :D ...

Thanks for the vote of confidence :p
Yeah I get the idea, lol, but it isn't a typicaly build of somebody just wanting to make a toy that goes fast. Its main design is a heavy hauler. But yeah I agree its comical :lol:

I will check out the headways, but at 10ah it would make balancing harder than the 16s thundersky wouldn't it? Do they go higher than 10ah?

Yeah I think (2) 48v 20ah ebay pouch packs would sit perfect on each rack. But I could just as easily go with the 40ah calb or thundersky ones too.

Do you really get 40 miles on a charge with 1000wh? Is that with or without pedaling?

As far as the fat tires I kinda wanted to do that anyway. I think it will do way more good than harm.

Pedaling but never very hard. Range depends a lot on speed, so the full 40 miles is going slow. But even my heavy (150pounds with battery) bike can cruise at 20 mph, and get 35 wh/mi. That's a solid 29 miles for sure.

That's not a one time, downhill only number. Any ride I take involves climbing back out of the valley back to my house. On the flat, I can do 20 mph and get 30 wh/mi.

For my bike the magic number is 25 wh/mi. If I can hit that average, I have 80 mile range with all 2000wh of battery. Generally that means riding about 16 mph. All my battery is 45 pounds.

Fast riding costs a huge penalty, at 30 mph, more like 55 wh/mi. Cutting the range on a 48v 20 ah to less than 20 miles. Fast just costs too much battery.

Nothing wrong with a larger cell battery, but one downside to it would be even short rides will haul 40 pounds of battery. A 48v 20 ah to start with will give you decent range, and save money in the beginning.

mr.pibb said:
ridethelightning said:
i dont know if im happy or not to see commonsense prevail, because i was looking forward to see some entertaining pics of the lead setup :lol:

its sort of in the same league as the guy here on e.s who made a barfridge size cabinet on the rear rack to attatch ryobi drill packs.. :D ...

Thanks for the vote of confidence :p
Yeah I get the idea, lol, but it isn't a typicaly build of somebody just wanting to make a toy that goes fast. Its main design is a heavy hauler. But yeah I agree its comical :lol:

I will check out the headways, but at 10ah it would make balancing harder than the 16s thundersky wouldn't it? Do they go higher than 10ah?

Yeah I think (2) 48v 20ah ebay pouch packs would sit perfect on each rack. But I could just as easily go with the 40ah calb or thundersky ones too.

Do you really get 40 miles on a charge with 1000wh? Is that with or without pedaling?

As far as the fat tires I kinda wanted to do that anyway. I think it will do way more good than harm.

yes. you can get 15ah headway cells, but iv never used these, as they were too expensive. i just doubled up the 10ah cells in 2p to get 20ah, no dramas there, easy as.

as for balencing, it would be really just the same as balencing the 20 ah thunderskye cells..
the fat tyres are an awesome idea. the only possible slight downside might be more road friction from the larger contact area, but the suspension effect would be worth it i think.

48v 30 ah of the headways should kick serous ass. You could start with just 15 ah, and still have 20 mile range at 20-25 mph. Then add more later.

And what you add later could be really cheap weak stuff too, with 15 ah headway stiffening the pack.

I turned my yuba mundo into an electric assist so I could run both kids to school, pick up 4 large bags of groceries, and head back home with my knees still intact and within the time frame I had to complete everything. Now looking at converting it to a fat tire ( 26 by 3.7), since the back will already take that size I hear and it's easy to put a surly fork up front to accommodate the front.....
Any tips on what rim to build up in the back for my MAC hub to fit a wider tire ?? Thanks !

Here is the idea I'll be adding to my skinnier tire Mundo I now ride

Attachments

• fat tire mundo 2.jpg
    fat tire mundo 2.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,073
mr.pibb said:
No, I was planning on going lead acid. I was thinking and I know I will sound crazy, but 4 marine deepcycle batteries. Yeah they weigh 57 each. :shock: I want to put 2 on each running board. lol :shock: 105 ah 48v system only $400. That's over 5000w battery bank...

Imho this is a waste of 400USD and resources.

I am working on my yuba probably headed to the local guy who works on frames

Attachments

• yuba fat back 3.jpg
    yuba fat back 3.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,022
  • yuba fat 2.jpg
    yuba fat 2.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,022
  • sweet cargo bags.jpg
    sweet cargo bags.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,022
Looks good and I'm sure it'll be a very solid ride with fat tires on there. Just don't run out of juice, I inadvertently ran my Yuba to LVC for the first time about a month ago. I quickly realized with the Bafang HD and the battery on there I can move it on flat ground slowly but moving it up the hills to my home were VERY difficult and there were sections where it turned into a push bike-and I'm in pretty decent shape, felt like trying to ride a Semi Truck with pedals up those hills.

Been watching the batteries pretty close since then, I like pumping hills and all but don't particularly want to repeat that experience he he.

I run full mtn gears , three rings up front with a 22 small.... seven gears in the back on the freewheel off the electric hub ... the climbing gear in the back is 30 something.... pretty decent granny gear ratio :0 I think on my full suspension mountain bike I run a 22 -34 granny gear ratio..... I also run the Cycle analyst on the yuba set up so I can check out amp hours and drainage .

My reasoning in installing a mid-drive was I needed something with quite a bit of torque to tackle the very steep hills surrounding me, there's literally no way to avoid them getting home. When I have my 60 lb daughter on the back and 20 more lbs of groceries I'd probably need something like a hub motor running at 3000 watts to do the same thing I'm doing and keep the bike moving up the hills without massive overheating.

If I didn't have all these darned hills here I'd just pedal the thing around, I have a couple friends with Yuba's and Xtracycles and one with a Bullit who move their kids around with pedal power but they all live in flatter areas of the city.

Had the Mid-drive on the bike about a year now and so far it's been all good, I've clocked some amazing times crossing the city taking my kid to her practices by hitting the bike paths and doing necessary crossings of busy streets where there is Pedestrain crosswalks, gotta love those ones where you push the button and auto traffic is required to come to an instant stop to give bicycles the right-of-way, the only delay is verifying traffic is actually going to stop, usually a matter of 5 seconds now that the cops have been running "sting" operations at these crosswalks giving out heavy fines for drivers who don't stop. Word's out that the cops frequently have decoys helping them catch violators.

Consequently a trip to practice by automobile averages right at 25-30 minutes one way (approx 10 intersections with stop lights to cross, tons of waiting). On cargo bike we are averaging 12-15 minutes, hitting all the bike paths, back streets and Ped friendly intersections + skipping all the fuel bill for my 6 cyl 4-wheel drive truck.

Same thing at school, takes literally 2 minutes to run the kid to school and I get to laugh at all the other parents fighting for parking spaces, 2 minutes back home, then another 2 minutes back when I teach my 2:00-3:00 pm art class, then 2 minutes back home with the kid when I'm done. My main gripe is my ride's not long enough on the school commutes!

Overall the Yuba has been a tremendous workhorse and is very stiff and stable on fast downhills, changed it to disks and installed a Surly Big Dummy fork right when I bought it for extra stability and confidence.

Back