Captured some great lightning on 26 june in HD!

Doctorbass

100 GW
[youtube]FGFMkmXSwjU[/youtube]

at 1:00 one of them strike to under 200m from my home! :shock: ... it seems i'll get some enough energy to push my workd record to 88mph !!! 8) and go to the future!

Doc

Neat video! Lightning is one of Mother Nature's ways of showing us who's still the boss. Nothing like a close strike to get the adrenaline flowing either!! :D :shock:

When I was younger we had one storm with a few strikes close enough to actually hear the sizzle of the arc before the thunder. Scared the hell out of me! :shock: :shock:

I love that weather! And I -thought- that Florida was the lightning capital of North America.

Say :twisted: HOW ABOUT you make a gigantic Leyden Jar, and rig it up to catch some charge?

MORE HD, please? I've got HD now too, but need to replace the cable that feeds the HDV video to this Windows computer.
I stepped on one end of the cable, oww.

I elected to go with the now-old Canon HV30, which is tape-based, cheap and the tapes are the archive, not some extra hard drive.
From there, the camera, I use plain old WMM that comes with Vista computers...and it makes fine-enough results for my amateur work.
But lately, I've reverted to using a three year old mini digicam's video function: "SD" at best, and hardly that.

Q: What camera brand are you using? I can look it up on the net myself.
I like HD...and now YT gives us pretty decent HD!

And like a lightning strike, your videos to come are gonna FLASH so hot!

More please! Lightning, wind! Exciting as tornados, and just as dangerous.
A friend's best friend here in Miami stepped out onto her side-door porch to chat with workmen on the other side of the property line hedge.
BOOM. See was literally exploded, her middle section vaporized, sprayed. And there was no lighting, seemingly, even nearby until the CRASH.
Was a nice lady, a university professor...

r.

Cool!

Only a fellow Canadian would recognize the little whistle-tune in the background during the first few seconds of the video.

"Conditioning" made me want to rush out and buy more Yardworks batteries... :D

We rarely get dramatic lightening with our thunderstorms.
Once, during evening rush-hour, a snow storm blew up with the most fantastic lightening displays I've seen in this city.
I'd never before viewed snow backbit by lightening bolts so it was quite unusual.

The traffic snarls were predictable though.
I only had to walk one hill because all the cars coming and going were stopped sideways on the road.

If you want to play with a leyden jar (capacitor easily made from a glass water jar) don't make one bigger than a soda can. I read a delightful book called "Draw the lightning down" [history of electricity] and Ben Franklin played with Leyden Jars. You could kill a chicken with a larger LJ, and then revive it with a smaller LJ. (like shocking a heart attack patient to return heartbeat). It was quickly decried as being cruel to animals.

You might think that it would be heralded as a great discovery (in 1780's!) for reviving the occasional heart-attack victim (it couldn't hurt, right? he's already dead)...but to the people of the day, it seemed like "playing God" and bringing someone back from the dead. In Mary Shelleys book "Frankenstein", the creature was not large or hideous, it was just a man made from dead body parts sewn together and re-animated by lightning (a giant Leyden Jar spark).

I have wondered about making a giant LJ out of a pond and a lightning rod (to charge a large RE battery for an off-grid home), but of course the insulator between the ground and the water at the edge of the pond would have to be dry and wide. With a distant encompassing fence warning of high voltage (The city council won't mind...you think?)

spinningmagnets said:
If you want to play with a leyden jar (capacitor easily made from a glass water jar) don't make one bigger than a soda can. I read a delightful book called "Draw the lightning down" [history of electricity] and Ben Franklin played with Leyden Jars. You could kill a chicken with a larger LJ, and then revive it with a smaller LJ. (like shocking a heart attack patient to return heartbeat). It was quickly decried as being cruel to animals.

You might think that it would be heralded as a great discovery (in 1780's!) for reviving the occasional heart-attack victim (it couldn't hurt, right? he's already dead)...but to the people of the day, it seemed like "playing God" and bringing someone back from the dead. In Mary Shelleys book "Frankenstein", the creature was not large or hideous, it was just a man made from dead body parts sewn together and re-animated by lightning (a giant Leyden Jar spark).

I have wondered about making a giant LJ out of a pond and a lightning rod (to charge a large RE battery for an off-grid home), but of course the insulator between the ground and the water at the edge of the pond would have to be dry and wide. With a distant encompassing fence warning of high voltage (The city council won't mind...you think?)
Formally nominated now for inclusion with of the best-of-ES-ever postings, for Admin to determine.
I cast one vote, "pro", in favour of this motion.

r.

Doctorbass said:
[youtube]FGFMkmXSwjU[/youtube]

at 1:00 one of them strike to under 200m from my home! :shock: ... it seems i'll get some enough energy to push my workd record to 88mph !!! 8) and go to the future!

Doc

Hey Doc! That lightning bolt looks like it can give you that "one point two jigga-watts to get the Delorean up to 88 mph". :wink:

Reid Welch said:
I love that weather! And I -thought- that Florida was the lightning capital of North America.

Say :twisted: HOW ABOUT you make a gigantic Leyden Jar, and rig it up to catch some charge?

MORE HD, please? I've got HD now too, but need to replace the cable that feeds the HDV video to this Windows computer.
I stepped on one end of the cable, oww.

I elected to go with the now-old Canon HV30, which is tape-based, cheap and the tapes are the archive, not some extra hard drive.
From there, the camera, I use plain old WMM that comes with Vista computers...and it makes fine-enough results for my amateur work.
But lately, I've reverted to using a three year old mini digicam's video function: "SD" at best, and hardly that.

Q: What camera brand are you using? I can look it up on the net myself.
I like HD...and now YT gives us pretty decent HD!

And like a lightning strike, your videos to come are gonna FLASH so hot!

More please! Lightning, wind! Exciting as tornados, and just as dangerous.
A friend's best friend here in Miami stepped out onto her side-door porch to chat with workmen on the other side of the property line hedge.
BOOM. See was literally exploded, her middle section vaporized, sprayed. And there was no lighting, seemingly, even nearby until the CRASH.
Was a nice lady, a university professor...

r.

The camera is a Samsung HMX10... a 720p using 8Gig internal memory + sd card. just perfect for ebike ride without any vibration problem.. ( it has no hard drive!)

Doc

^
So correct, as always, Doc. I have this beautiful Canon HV30. Marvelous image quality, played on the big screen TV.

BUT IT IS NOT SOLID STATE: no way it would live long if mounted to an ebike!
So what you got is good and bust-proof and light, and...

"HD", peeps, is now available at YouTube.
At the very least, make your viddies with a quality "SD" or better camera.
Compress the files for upload, just as little as possible, or you get camera-phone-shite-videos.

These videos are life-documentations, that, in ten years, and more, will be marveled-over
by the New World that's coming...but we must make the "best" that we can with our presently crude cameras and YT compression necessities.

Lecture over. More flashes of DB brilliance, always wanted here at Endless Fear! :lol:

Back