ELECTRIC MOTORCYCLE WORLD RECORD SET

BungaEBiker

100 W
Ladies and Gentlemen I give you Catavolt the current LAND SPEED RECORD HOLDER FOR AN ELECTRIC BIKE, 110mph (177kph)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LZeXQV7mHY&feature=sub

Congratulations to Kearon and all the lads. Great job. See what a little ingenuity and some guts can get you.

From the Catavolt site: http://www.catavolt.com.au/
The Catavolt bike saw speeds of 115kph during testing on a 72V system but reached 177kph when run at 144V. Not bad for a forklift motor running at six times its rated voltage limit! The 48V Nissan electric forklift motor was expertly rewound to 24V (yes 24 volts) by Kenshaw Electrical at Newcastle. Under load the Odyssey 925 lead acid batteries fed the Curtis Controller with the 400 amps required to propel the bike and rider to 177kph."
catavolt_speed_week_2010_04.jpg

Also on the salt were the Fast Sparks team from Bathurst who achieved 156kph on their Electric Kawasaki setting the record for a naked electric motorcycle. The Fast Sparks team were also using Odyssey Lead Acid Batteries at 144V. Both teams shared a pit area together and traded expertise and encouragement at the event.
fast_sparks.jpg

Interesting picture of previous commutator failure
Burned-Commutator_Low.jpg

Very good work going on in AU! I think an ES Team could produce a real contender....if all the individual component experts on here could be put together into one team.

Kearon also built his own electric car. It was a Capri but now it's and EV-Capri. This is very cool stuff. Who said electric bikes and cars where slow? Nice to see the spirit of Burt Munro is still alive and well.

FeralDog said:
This can't be true!
They used Odyssey Lead Acid batteries http://www.odysseyfactory.com/batteries.html, they manufacture batteries in Warrensburg, Missouri USA and Newport, Wales United Kingdom.
BUT everyone in the Ev-Community knows that Chinese Lithium batteries are the best cause they are more tempermental and expensive, duh... :p
So what if its a world record :mrgreen:

Sounds like someone has some pent up jealousy twards Lithium.

They use lead acid because it's in the regulations for racing on the saltflats. To change battery type would need a new class for racing to be opened. They aren't likely to add a Lithium class untill it has a long term track record of being safe.

Anyway weight isn't really a problem for landspeed racing. But bulk obviously is... from looking at those pics. :)

Without sounding too melodramatic, this a victory we can all really be proud of. The bike was built by a group of EVers like us, on weekends and with allot of trial and error. See what a bunch of enthusiastic tinkerers can do when they put their minds to it. This is the sort of thing that I find really inspiring, an idea and a little know how and you can beat them all just like Burt Munro. He tinkered for years in his garage and he was in his 70s when he broke his first speed record. He did it all by hand, he even forged his own piston heads, but he wasn't an engineer or a highly trained fabricator he did it out of interest and pride in his workmanship.

I'm guessing this speed record is in a particular class? as Killacycle is the fastest e-bike in the world with 155mph top speed, i thought i read to that these fellas were meant to be heading to the salt flats for a long speed run? ...the video froze for me not long after the start so i haven't been able to view it all shall try again later though :-S Was awesome to read that this record was set by Aussies too!!! :mrgreen:

KiM

EDIT: Burt Monroe was legendary wasn't he!!! Unfortunately we can't can't claim him as one of us :-( he was from Invercargill in New Zealand ...not an Aussie.

Nice record!

This is great to read world record news about electric bikes !! :mrgreen:

I would love to drag race on a salt desert ground like that... but they are unpopular... in Canada....

These hub motor commutator and motor inside look like the same of the 409 DC brushed crystalyte motor!!.. very poor desing and can't really be over powered...

btW.. 98.5kmh using 60A at 144V on a hub motor based ebike is encouraging!!
Catavolt_07_low.jpg

Guess what i'll do this summer with 220A 124V... and a brushLESS hub motor!!

Doc

Doc: Actually the motor they used started out life as an electric forklift motor. The severely overvolted it though, just the same it was a great ride.
Jester: (looks around conspiratorially) shhh I won't tell if you don't about Burt. I am unsure if that was overall or just for their category. I think it was category because the Kilocycle is allot faster. On the other had the Kilocycle is not a street legal bike, where as the Catavolt is, as far as I know. Non the less it's still that little bit of credibility all electric bikes get now that is the really cool part. I must say you folks down that way certainly know what your at. The first electric car I ever saw, other then a golf cart, was Gaven Shoebridge''s. That was a very well documented build as well as a real nice and clean build. Your builds are pretty aw sum too. I don't know if its a spacial thing but you all are way ahead of us here in Canada. The laws are already in pace there and here they haven't even really gotten into the tral stage on a national level when it comes to legislation regarding allowing electric cars on the road full time.

BungaEBiker said:
Doc: Actually the motor they used started out life as an electric forklift motor. The severely overvolted it though, just the same it was a great ride. quote]

I know.. I was talking aboiut their other e-motorcycle.. just visit their catavolt website you<ll see it.

Doctorbass said:
Nice record!

I would love to drag race on a salt desert ground like that... but they are unpopular... in Canada....

These hub motor commutator and motor inside look like the same of the 409 DC brushed crystalyte motor!!.. very poor desing and can't really be over powered...

Catavolt_07_low.jpg

Doc

doc is that your speed record on your new drag bike????

p.s. i calibrated the shunt on my 144v 24 mosfet irfb4115 controller and max pull on hard launch i see is 108 amps ... so thats about 15681.6 watts.... i like to use it in low setting on cycle analyst to see alll those watts ... my shunt is about 1.0085mohms.. this allow me to run low setting still in c/a

x5306/x5303 in the works :twisted:

-steveo

-steveo

steveo said:
Doctorbass said:
Nice record!

Catavolt_07_low.jpg

Doc

p.s. i calibrated the shunt on my 144v 24 mosfet irfb4115 controller and max pull on hard launch i see is 108 amps ... so thats about 15681.6 watts.... i like to use it in low setting on cycle analyst to see alll those watts ... my shunt is about 1.0085mohms.. this allow me to run low setting still in c/a

-steveo

-steveo

Excellent! We had the same wattage!! 15xxx Watts!

No that GPS speed is not my speed.. it<s the catavolt gps for their slower e-motorcycle.

BTW.. the 5303 will draw twice more current so pay attention to not blow this great piece of art of 24 mosfetS! :wink:

Doc

Doctorbass said:
steveo said:
Doctorbass said:
Nice record!

Catavolt_07_low.jpg

Doc

-steveo

-steveo

Excellent! We had the same wattage!! 15xxx Watts!

No that GPS speed is not my speed.. it<s the catavolt gps for their slower e-motorcycle.

BTW.. the 5303 will draw twice more current so pay attention to not blow this great piece of art of 24 mosfetS! :wink:

Doc

I think controller will be fine ... with factory 100 amps shunt...... dual winding x5... i want to get a 36 fet controller going .. that will be next on the to do list, just as a saftey for the extra amps draw..

-steveo

-steveo

Steveo... When the 200V version release ... :?:

:twisted: :twisted:

5302 on 20inch wheel 200V 300A... just 60kW for... 9 sec ( quater mile time) !! ( liquid nitrogen cooled for sure!)

One day, You or me will release the first ebike IGBT based controller!.. ( btw.. IGBT are the best mosfet device availlable for HV)

I wonder what<s the max voltage these X5 can take without short circuit thru the winding insulation.... :|

Doc

Doctorbass said:
Steveo... When the 200V version release ... :?:

:twisted: :twisted:

5302 on 20inch wheel 200V 300A... just 60kW for... 9 sec ( quater mile time) !! ( liquid nitrogen cooled for sure!)

One day, You or me will release the first ebike IGBT based controller!.. ( btw.. IGBT are the best mosfet device availlable for HV)

I wonder what<s the max voltage these X5 can take without short circuit thru the winding insulation.... :|

Doc

Fyi..

been running x5 @ 144v for almost 1 month .. no mosfet failure yet :D

-steveo

Just for the record, that catavolt pictured is not a street legal motorcycle.

AussieJester said:
I'm guessing this speed record is in a particular class? as Killacycle is the fastest e-bike in the world with 155mph top speed, i thought i read to that these fellas were meant to be heading to the salt flats for a long speed run? ...the video froze for me not long after the start so i haven't been able to view it all shall try again later though :-S Was awesome to read that this record was set by Aussies too!!! :mrgreen:

KiM

EDIT: Burt Monroe was legendary wasn't he!!! Unfortunately we can't can't claim him as one of us :-( he was from Invercargill in New Zealand ...not an Aussie.
And that is geared for accelleration, no doubt the killacycle could easily be set up to do over 200mph. I don't understand what record they broke either? :?

maydaverave said:
. I don't understand what record they broke either? :?

Yes odd...i'm guessing the MPS/Ω category is a voltage thing? I know killacyle runs a 374 Volt setup. Either
way though a record is a record so well done i sayz! :D

KiM

steveo said:
i want to get a 36 fet controller going .. that will be next on the to do list, just as a saftey for the extra amps draw..
-steveo
Just say the word bro.
Ready to Rock.
Ready to Roll.

There is a member on here, using a 48v lead setup in an old ninja frame that has a faster top speed than this (if I'm remembering correctly), and it's his trap at the end of the quarter mile, not some sluggy top-speed bike. I uses 4 of the large yellow-top optimas if I'm not mistaken. He also made an electric drag bike for his wife as well. I'm sure somebody on here knows the guy I'm talking about.

Racing on salt is awful. It's gotta be the worst surface on earth to ride or drive upon. However, it's perfectly flat, and miles wide, and 10's of miles long, so it has advantages no other place on earth can offer for trying top-speed attempts.

Picture taking something extremely flat and smooth, like a cement floor in a garage, and then pouring maybe 1/4" of loose sand over the entire surface of it. Absolute suck-ass surface for getting any traction or stability, but again, it has the huge advantage of having nothing to crash into.

If your vehicle is at a low enough speed range, and has adquate handling control that you can find pavement sections long enough to reach top speed, use pavement. For anything below about 250mph, use pavement.

The record is spelt out pretty plainly:

On Friday 12th March 2010 Team Catavolt set the World Record for a Modified Partial Streamlined Electric Motorcycle and the Australian Land Speed Record for an Electric Vehicle on the Australian Salt Lake event, Speed Week 2010.
Source: http://www.evmotorcycle.org/home/node/53

That's the claim and the record set under Dry Lake Racers Australia regs.

When someone else comes along and does a faster run under the same class, they'll hold the new record. Next year, I'm sure that's exactly what will happen!

voicecoils said:
The record is spelt out pretty plainly:

On Friday 12th March 2010 Team Catavolt set the World Record for a Modified Partial Streamlined Electric Motorcycle and the Australian Land Speed Record for an Electric Vehicle on the Australian Salt Lake event, Speed Week 2010.
Source: http://www.evmotorcycle.org/home/node/53

That's the claim and the record set under Dry Lake Racers Australia regs.

When someone else comes along and does a faster run under the same class, they'll hold the new record. Next year, I'm sure that's exactly what will happen!

It's kinda like saying that I hold the world record for a trip from the couch to the john at my house while wearing boxers and a tee-shirt with a dinosaur on it.

I've got video with GPS taped on the handlebars of going over 100km/hr on John's E-bike wearing flip-flops, and doing it in traffic so I have to actively pass cars on my run. lol I don't try to get any sort of record for it, it's just normal riding.

It was good to hear them comment on what riding on salt is like though:

"The salt on the course itself had been skimmed so that the surface was smooth but off the track it was a lot like riding on wet sand."

This is why everything goes slower on salt. Take a car that does 200mph on freeways with ease, put it on salt, and between the awful rolling resistance, terrible traction, and high temperature (low O2 density) air, it will be lucky to hit 185-190mph. Electrics need to be racing on salt as much as a Cessna needs the spaceshuttle landing strip to make a safe landing.

I am at a loss now also, i incorrectly assumed it was running lower voltages and
was a separate class than others that have far exceeded their speed.

Luke...the member you mentioned in your first posts name is 'Juiced' i believe

Test%201aweb.JPG

Juieced website

Has a couple of nice drag biks he and his wife compete on along with some other interesting ev builds :)

KiM

p.s i reckon i could give your "world record" from couch to the shitta a run to buddy :p

Back