ANYONE KNOW WHAT RISK SOLAR FLARES POSE TO A E-BIKE

Before i spend big bucks on a decent e-bike can someone knowledgable in field of electronics tell me what risk large cme flares from the sun can pose to the electronics of our bikes and is there anything on the market to protect against damage.

Only the components protected from EMP or solar flare by using the military special hardened epoxy. The EMP would destroy EV components no matter unless you placed under shielded shelter protecting from the solar flare or EMP

Its not the Solarflares you have to worry about, its those special rays the goverment beams down from those so called GPS satalites that track your every move. Those cause cancer in your bike motors.

This Message brought to you by the NTHS (National Tinfoil Hat Society) :D

Seriously, when was the last time a Solar flare damaged any consumer product inside the ionisphere?

Drunkskunk said:
Its not the Solarflares you have to worry about, its those special rays the goverment beams down from those so called GPS satalites that track your every move. Those cause cancer in your bike motors.

This Message brought to you by the NTHS (National Tinfoil Hat Society) :D

Seriously, when was the last time a Solar flare damaged any consumer product inside the ionisphere?
just thinking ahead.you are not very clued up about future of this planet it seems.

Long before an Ebike would be hurt by a solar flare, humanity as we know it would be destroyed. An Ebike is an extremely rugged device to withstand electromagnetic radiation compared to the devices you would miss far more.

you are not very clued up about future of this planet it seems.

Me neither, is there a secret antenna for the foil hat that can pull in future news?

Oh, solar flares will totally kill ebikes. You need my $400 ebike protectant foil to be really safe.

Radio communication and electrical transmission where the distribution cable form say Colorado to Ohio acts as an antenna. The risk to you eBike is non existent.

Alan B said:
Put another way - your ebike faces greater risks from lightning than solar flares. :shock:
really hope you guys know your stuff,a lot of talk about srong cme,s being capable of destroying sattelites and knocking the national grids out.do you watch the history channel.

threewheelsonmywagon said:
Alan B said:
Put another way - your ebike faces greater risks from lightning than solar flares. :shock:
really hope you guys know your stuff,a lot of talk about srong cme,s being capable of destroying sattelites and knocking the national grids out.do you watch the history channel.

The power grid is a very large antenna. Collects lots of energy. Very rarely has problems with solar flares. Smaller systems on the surface fare much better.

Lightning happens much more often, does a lot of damage. Statistically a much more significant risk.

At least with an ebike you can always pedal it home. Great backup system, those pedals. Keep you chain oiled. :D

wineboyrider said:
I think the OP needs to meet morph?! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes. :D

threewheelsonmywagon said:

Satellites in LEO, Low Earth Orbit are usualy immune to Solar flares. Its the satellites above the Van allen belts, generaly the ones far enough out to be in geostationary orbits that risk damage. And even then the risk is low. At a rough cost of a quarter billion each, No company would or could afford to put a satellite up if there was a high risk of damage.

Power grids are sensitive to small power fluctuations. A small rise in voltage causes breakers to trip. and the grids are built like a large metal web, essentualy a large aray antena, so they can catch solar flares easily. But the damage isn't from the flare, its from the complex process of bringing the grid back up after they have a massive breaker tripping event. Since they can't know how much of the end user's equipment is still switched on, they have to make guesses which breakers to turn on in what order. and that often leads to damage to transformers from too much power going in, or not enough power being supplied for the demand.

The telecomunications grid is even bigger than any power grid, and far more sensitive to power spikes on the whole, but it rarely if ever has a problem with solar flares because the actual energy absorbed is so small.

http://www.solarstorms.org/Spower.html - power grid damage modes from solar flares - interesting.

Alan B said:

REALLY , LIGHTNING, now you got me worried.The tin hat isnt going to help much either

From the replies in this thread, I don't think you need to worry about "folks knowing their stuff." Me thinks a couple of previous posters could write a textbook on the subject! :wink:

liveforphysics said:
Long before an Ebike would be hurt by a solar flare, humanity as we know it would be destroyed. An Ebike is an extremely rugged device to withstand electromagnetic radiation compared to the devices you would miss far more.
Yes but he didn't ask about Humanity. He wants to know if his ebike will be ok. Please read the post before answering with have baked personal opinions.

Less jokiningly, I've discovered a particular spot on a power line road I don't want to ride my bike, electric or other on anymore.

The lines get a bit close to the ground there because of a small hill, and you start getting little zaps from the frame. 8) No way is it 8 feet, but close enough to make the ground a bit excited.

I wonder if a tin foil hat would help, or make it an even bigger thrill. But it doesn't affect the controller.

I personally would never live near those big power lines. The amount of power they radiate is amazing. One night we took florescent lights to the field where the towers were strung along. They all turn on easily. If you can actually feel the power, it would be a fun way to get rid of all your old florescent lights. Build a light sign or something in that section. Better yet, free energy by induction :mrgreen:

dogman said:
Less jokiningly, I've discovered a particular spot on a power line road I don't want to ride my bike, electric or other on anymore.

The lines get a bit close to the ground there because of a small hill, and you start getting little zaps from the frame. 8) No way is it 8 feet, but close enough to make the ground a bit excited.

I wonder if a tin foil hat would help, or make it an even bigger thrill. But it doesn't affect the controller.

neptronix said:
Oh, solar flares will totally kill ebikes. You need my $400 ebike protectant foil to be really safe.
my mesh collects the energy and stores it in a Leyden jar :idea: ..never need batteries... price negotiable :mrgreen:

(credit to Alan B who inspired this amazing plan in another thread.)

1. construct secure metal box
2. put spare controller, battery charger and a few hall effect sensors in box. extra shotgun shells optional.
3. bury box in the backyard
4. wait for EMP apocalypse
5. dig up box, effect repairs
6. begin new life as the Mad Max of ebikes

You guys are harsh :)

The risk of bit-flipping due to radiation (solar flares included) in modern microcontrollers exists, but is insignificant or non-existant* on a typical ebike system.

The worst thing that could happen on ebike is the throttle is stuck at 100% command. You should have a braking system that is more powerful than your motor :mrgreen:

* I'm assuming that your controller is using the Infineon SAK-XC846, I can't find a datasheet for the SAK-XC846, but the datasheet for the SAK-XC836 indicates that the core operating voltage is 2.5V. Which is high enough that bit-flipping should not occur with normal radiation.

Back