All Your Colors Belong to Us

zanedog

100 mW
Received email notification from UPS. They have copyrighted the color brown!

© 2014 United Parcel Service. UPS, the UPS brandmark, and the color brown are trademarks of United Parcel Service of America, Inc. All rights reserved.

A lot of copy-write law is preposterous. Who enforces this under what illusion.

It is ridiculous for sure. Found a webpage that expounds upon this.

http://andiamnotlying.com/2008/alert-ween-ups-has-trademarked-the-color-brown/

"This changes EVERYTHING. This can’t be possible. It’s like that one Superman comic where Mr. Myxtlplk copyrighted the alphabet and bankrupted the entire world. What are chocolate factories, furriers, and Ween going to do? This is the silliest crime, ever. I can’t believe it. How is this going to be enforced? Who is going to take Hershey to court for copyright infringement?"

... And Your Materials Too!

http://www.techtree.com/content/news/5918/google-1928-page-argument-trademark-word-glass.html

Thankfully, the Patent & Trademarks Office had the good sense to reject that piece of silliness.

The link explains how far their rights extend. Basically if another courier paints there vans brown it is already written that it carries a penalty.

The shade of brown is also copyrighted by them. Officially it is named pullman brown. After the stagecoach couriers that first used it.

I would like to see the pullman family's descendents start a parcel company and use the colour pullman brown. UPS's own use of the pullman name in their documentation would undermine it I believe.

... I just lodged a copyright on the colour white, and the 'gay rainbow'.

Want to keep the gay rainbow all to yourself hay lol

You'll find the copyrights on those colors extend only to shipping and candy, respectively. Basically it's a trademark. You can still be the purple shipper and the brown candy.

Gay Rainbows. Brown Candy. This is all getting a bit wrong.

Taste my...
lol

"Step out of the vehicle sir"

"why why, what'd I do wrong?"

"Sir you are driving a Blue Chevrolet, and that infringes upon Ford's Blue Oval Trademark, your car is going to the crushers Sir, there is nothing more to be said, Step away from your car"

"Sir, we have found a candy bar in your car, it is in a purple wrapper, it is not Cadbury or Nestle Sir, place your hands behind your back NOW!"

fast forward...

"did you or did you not willingly accept a delivery from a courier that had a brown van that was a shade of brown that closely resembled UPS"s turd color?"

"why, yes I did"

"LOCK HIM UP, THROW AWAY THE KEY, THE FACTS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES IN THIS CASE'

zanedog said:

© 2014 United Parcel Service. UPS, the UPS brandmark, and the color brown are trademarks of United Parcel Service of America, Inc. All rights reserved.

Wait a minute, why are they notifying YOU about this? You got something going on with the color BROWN we all ought to know about?

Dauntless said:
zanedog said:

Wait a minute, why are they notifying YOU about this? You got something going on with the color BROWN we all ought to know about?

Check your own shorts Dauntless lol, I change mine every day.

Back