bulk charging 24s lipo

alan c

10 W
I have an alternator without a voltage regulator that puts out over 100v dc (dep on rpm) at maybe 80 amps . If I hook up a bms to my pack could I use this to charge my pack .I used to ballance charge with 2 hyperion 1420i chargers split my pack into 2 12s pack and charge at 10 amps per pack have done this for years but 1 of my chargers recently blew a fet (and some other stuff) and they dont make this charger any more and Im looking for another solution I know I could just use the other charger but it would take twice as long. You get used to only taking 1 hr to charge plus the other charger is starting to play up. I need another solution. I havent been able to find another 12s ballance charger that puts out decent amps thunder power would be ok but everywhere seems to be out of stock any ideas? ps pack is 24s 16ah lipo pps IM worried that with the low resistance of lipo the alternator will go to full amps

http://www.rcplanet.com/Thunder_Power_Charger_Discharger_Cycler_Single_Por_p/thptp1430c.htm?codesf=4012545151&gclid=Cj0KEQjwjIy5BRClh8m_9Zu64d8BEiQAtZsQf0N9zl7FAkhfdNBmTlO_LcS8c70RgnhjTKWOqY3SegYaAvUo8P8HAQ

EDIT; I see you are down under and I'm not sure about RC Planet's shipping.
These make great 12S bulk chargers;
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mean-Well-HLG-320H-48-AC-DC-Power-Supply-Single-OUT-48V-6-7A-321-6W-5-Pin-NEW-/111956342242?hash=item1a111e35e2:g:tZYAAOSwv0tVbPxI
It would be faster than your Hyperion, but no balancing features.
I believe Alan B has a detailed thread on these LED power supplies.
I like mine better than my THunder 1220(RIP) or my Hyperion 1430C(RIP).
Great features and real quality. Nice to know I won't be buying any more chargers any time soon.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76185&p=1150704&hilit=+meanwell#p1150704
It has to be the Suffix "A" model.

How would you power the alternator? The amp rating for alternators is at 12 to 14 volts. 12V X 80A = 960W, 960W / 80V = 12A. So at 80 volts it would need to be regulated to 12 amps. So if you could design a circuit that would regulate the amperage and hold the voltage at the desired level for your pack it could be done. My thought is that it would only be worthwhile if you were using the alternator to harvest wind or hydro power. If you are burning gasolene to spin the alternator it would be about the least efficient way possible to charge a bicycle. Much better to buy a mains powered charger.

Alternator is already hooked up to a 6.5 hp engine mounted in a trailer witch goes behind my trike .It was an experiment to see if it would power my trike witch it does.It will take the trike to around 50kph running on the alternator .It welds ithas a 12v reg when you plug that in you have a 12v power supply you can plug in an inverter and get 240v ac it also has 24v reg for 24v power. When you run the trike on it its a bit like a saggy battery at 100v dc it sags down to about 55v and then slowly comes back up to about 75v

I don't get it. At that point, why not just run the trike and trailer w/ the gas engine and eliminate the conversion losses.
It would be more efficient that way.

It was just an experiment to see if it would work as a range extender and to be able to plug my charger in to the 24v dc and charge my pack

If I just hooked up the engine up Iknow it would be much more efficent but I would get busted by the cops this way I can just say its a battery charger .Nothings mechanicly hooked up to the engine except the alternator

Back