Samsung 35E vs 30Q Cycle Life

I'm planning on building an E-Bike and the last decision I need to make is the battery.
I will most likely buy a 14s9p triangle from Em3ev and build my own hard-case for it. They have four cell options, two of which speak to me: the Samsung 35E and 30Q.

According to the datasheets the 30Q has far superior battery life; but Em3ev says in there real world experience the 35E has better cycle life.

I will probably discharge the pack at 30A continuous (maybe more in the future). And charge it at 5A.
This would result in ~3,35A discharge and ~0,6A charge per cell.

Should I trust the datasheets or Em3ev?

Paul knows batteries. That being said I would choose the Samsung 30q 15a cell. Less stress. But just a belief. What are you using it with. Motor and controller.

~1C is a pretty damn good use case for a 35E. The best case for any of these modern cells with materials that overstate the discharge is to use them at a third of their maximum.

I would tend to trust the datasheet on cells first, but Paul does know his shit about batteries, so flip a coin and go with that.

999zip999 said:
Paul knows batteries. That being said I would choose the Samsung 30q 15a cell. Less stress. But just a belief. What are you using it with. Motor and controller.
I will use it with a BBSHD and stock controller set to 30A.
If I think it's not enough in the future (I probably won't, at least for a long time), I'll upgrade to a 40A controller (the BMS's on both cell options are 60A continuous).

neptronix said:
~1C is a pretty damn good use case for a 35E. The best case for any of these modern cells with materials that overstate the discharge is to use them at a third of their maximum.

I would tend to trust the datasheet on cells first, but Paul does know his shit about batteries, so flip a coin and go with that.
According to one Samsung datasheets, the 35E has 60% (2,010mAh) left after 500 cycles at 1,020mA/0.3C charge and 3,400mA/1.0C discharge current. According to another Samsung datasheet (with a graph of the cycle life, the first one doesn't have that), it has 80% left after 500 cycles with the same charge and discharge current, and ~84% after 300 cycles.
I don't see anything about them resting the cells though in the first one, but in the second one it says they rest for 4 or 5 minutes (mAh and mAh% graph say something different) after charge and after discharge. So I guess that would have to be where the difference comes from.
Also the 35E has more ~13% capacity then the 30Q so would (most of the time atleast) give me ~13% less DoD.

The Samsung 30Q datasheet says it has 73,8% left after 300 cycles but at 4A charge and 15A discharge (10 mins. rest after charge, 30 after discharge). My use case is way lower than that, but would that also increase the cycle life by more than 10% (+ the effect of the lower DoD with the 35E)?

The thing is €700+ is pretty expensive for a battery for me, so I want the best possible solution.

You can vastly increase the cycle life not only by drawing less current than rated but also by charging and discharging below and above the ratings, respectively. Obviously you get less energy out of the battery this way, but it should last much longer than if you draw the nominal Ah each time for charge and top off at 4.2 / cell.

pizza dude..

Shallower cycles are a great thing for cycle life. It may be why Paul claims that the 35E does better.
Conservative use is great for cycle life too.
So is not leaving the cells fully charged at 4.2.

Normally i'd go with the 35e if it's so close, because more mah means the pack will deliver more mileage over it's life since a single cycle takes you significantly further.

Except there's one problem. Your load is 30A. The 30Q will handle this better due to lower internal resistance. As the cycles get put on, and calendar life wears the battery, the 30Q may continue to perform at 300 cycles, whereas the 35E just gets way too saggy at 300 cycles, yet still has more capacity.

I usually error on the side of higher discharge over capacity when the comparison is close.

neptronix said:
pizza dude..

Shallower cycles are a great thing for cycle life. It may be why Paul claims that the 35E does better.
Conservative use is great for cycle life too.
So is not leaving the cells fully charged at 4.2.

Normally i'd go with the 35e if it's so close, because more mah means the pack will deliver more mileage over it's life since a single cycle takes you significantly further.

Except there's one problem. Your load is 30A. The 30Q will handle this better due to lower internal resistance. As the cycles get put on, and calendar life wears the battery, the 30Q may continue to perform at 300 cycles, whereas the 35E just gets way too saggy at 300 cycles, yet still has more capacity.

I usually error on the side of higher discharge over capacity when the comparison is close.
"Shallower cycles are a great thing for cycle life. It may be why Paul claims that the 35E does better.
Conservative use is great for cycle life too.."
As mentioned I know that shallower cycles are good for cycle life. The 30Q would be used at a way smaller charge and discharge rate than the cycle life was measured at.
But on the other hand the the 35E would give me 13% more capacity to leave uncharged and/or unsuded at the bottom percentages (I already bought a 80%-90%-100% for this purpose).

"Except there's one problem. Your load is 30A. The 30Q will handle this better due to lower internal resistance. As the cycles get put on, and calendar life wears the battery, the 30Q may continue to perform at 300 cycles, whereas the 35E just gets way too saggy at 300 cycles, yet still has more capacity."
According to the Samsung datasheets, the 35E will have ~80% capacity left after 500 cycles with 1C / 30A discharge, and higher discharge (9A Instead of 5A).
Doesn't this mean that it can still perform well enough at 30A even after 500 cycles?
How well do you think it would perform after 300 cycles with probably most of the time less than ~60% of the capacity used? I don't know exactly how much I'll use it as I'll get a free public transport card for my school. So it depends on if the battery would bring me far enough at a high enough speed to be reasonably faster than public transport. If I'll use it for school everyday (3-5 days a week), I would probably use 90%-100% of the capacity (it's a 2x 27km commute).
Besides school I'll use it almost daily to go hang out with friends. This is probably ~2x a week 2x ~7km commute, and ~3x a week a ~15km commute. I'd charge it to 80% max before leaving as this would most likely give me more than enough range and still leave me more than 20% at the bottom.

"I usually error on the side of higher discharge over capacity when the comparison is close."
So in the end you recommend going with the 35E right?

Pizzabroodje,

very probably you are going to draw no more than 20 A. Your average consumption can be about 10 Ah for travelling distance 27 km at cca 40 km/h. As acceleration draw a lot, it also depends on your way of ride. Trying to go continuously without needless stops or braking is good way to save Ahs.

The contrast between your desire to fast travel and your expectation of good battery life is still existing here. Finally, YOU are the factor most affecting battery life.
Small example comparing raw consumption without influence of consumption for acceleration, only 27 km uninterrupted travel distance ride is calculated.

Speed 35 km/h = 9,7 A = 46,3 minutes = 7,5 Ah
Speed 40 km/h = 12,8 A = 40,5 minutes = 8,7 Ah
Speed 45 km/h = 16,6 A = 36 minutes = 10 Ah

Assuming operating BBSHD at optimal rotation speed 140 – 155 rpm, effectivity 80 % at least. Calculating headwind speed 5 km/h, 1 % grade, 75 kg rider, 30 kg bike. Please take into account that these are not precise numbers, just comparison for the same conditions.

Chain and cassete are going to be weared quickly at such load, even if I assume gearsensor installed.
Free public transport card seems to be very good option for windy, rainy or cold weather and is also significantly saving your battery life. :)

docware said:
Pizzabroodje,

very probably you are going to draw no more than 20 A. Your average consumption can be about 10 Ah for travelling distance 27 km at cca 40 km/h. As acceleration draw a lot, it also depends on your way of ride. Trying to go continuously without needless stops or braking is good way to save Ahs.

The contrast between your desire to fast travel and your expectation of good battery life is still existing here. Finally, YOU are the factor most affecting battery life.
Small example comparing raw consumption without influence of consumption for acceleration, only 27 km uninterrupted travel distance ride is calculated.

Speed 35 km/h = 9,7 A = 46,3 minutes = 7,5 Ah
Speed 40 km/h = 12,8 A = 40,5 minutes = 8,7 Ah
Speed 45 km/h = 16,6 A = 36 minutes = 10 Ah

Assuming operating BBSHD at optimal rotation speed 140 – 155 rpm, effectivity 80 % at least. Calculating headwind speed 5 km/h, 1 % grade, 75 kg rider, 30 kg bike. Please take into account that these are not precise numbers, just comparison for the same conditions.

Chain and cassete are going to be weared quickly at such load, even if I assume gearsensor installed.
Free public transport card seems to be very good option for windy, rainy or cold weather and is also significantly saving your battery life. :)

"very probably you are going to draw no more than 20 A. Your average consumption can be about 10 Ah for travelling distance 27 km at cca 40 km/h."
40km/h is the LEAST I want to travel at. With 30A I could probably go around ~55-60km/h. I won't always be drawing that much, but would do so on long, straight stretches. I would just barely get the 27km both ways so 54km out of the battery pack at 30A. But I'm willing to use a little less power to come home with some battery left.

Pizzabroodje said:
According to the Samsung datasheets, the 35E will have ~80% capacity left after 500 cycles with 1C / 30A discharge, and higher discharge (9A Instead of 5A).
Doesn't this mean that it can still perform well enough at 30A even after 500 cycles?
How well do you think it would perform after 300 cycles with probably most of the time less than ~60% of the capacity used?

As batteries lose capacity, they also lose power output. 1C on a 3.4AH cell is 3.4A. 1C on a cell that's lost capacity and thus has 2.7AH is 2.7A.

So let's say your 9P pack has lost 20% of it's capacity. Now, 1C is 24.48A, but your controller still wants to draw 30A. Now, you're effectively drawing 1.2C or so. You can expect the sag to go up and the cell heat to go up. Therefore, you can start a pattern of exponential degradation later in the life of the pack because you didn't have the extra overhead.

Even if the 30Q pack natively has worse degradation, you have more overhead in the discharge.

The two packs might actually last as long as each other. Figuring out exactly which one will last so long is an affair of hair splitting calculations.

Pizzabroodje said:
I don't know exactly how much I'll use it as I'll get a free public transport card for my school. So it depends on if the battery would bring me far enough at a high enough speed to be reasonably faster than public transport. If I'll use it for school everyday (3-5 days a week), I would probably use 90%-100% of the capacity (it's a 2x 27km commute).

I see. So the battery choice has to be exactly optimal.
That's quite a bit of distance to cover if you want to go high speeds.

Instead of doing some hair splitting calculations on battery degradation, i think it'd be easier to focus on the efficiency of the vehicle itself.

Seven things can really help you stretch a battery..
1) The most efficient controller you can get. The phaserunner and other field oriented controllers would fall into this camp. Good for 1-2% efficiency boost.
2) The most efficient motor you can get. Currently, this would either be a direct drive or a single stage to rear reduction RC motor. Either of these can produce efficiency in the low 90% range. Whereas a mid drive peaks out at 80%-85% typically, so we're talking about a 5% difference in how many watts are consumed.
3) The most aerodynamic vehicle. A semi recumbent can drop your air resistance by 20%. A tucked position on a bike is good for 10-15% over an upright position. A small fairing, even if it's just a circular bubble that sits on the handlebars is good for a boost of 5% and beyond.
4) Generous power bus wiring. IE if your battery cables are a bit undersized, you can lose 1%-2% of the energy flowing through them.
5) Rolling resistance for your tires. This is maybe a 1-3% difference. I haven't done the math, but i think we're talking about watt consumption in the 10's..
6) Battery efficiency. As we can see, spec sheets on many modern 18650's allow for up to a 17% energy loss before the cell ignites or smokes or whatever else. Many people today are running batteries that lose 5-10% of their energy to waste heat. The more conservatively you use a battery, the lower this will be.
7) Well, here's the easy one. Speed. The lower the better. Aerodynamics get exponentially worse, the faster you travel.

So, somewhere in here is a 10-20% efficiency gain for an upright bike using only a few of these tricks. Better efficiency of your vehicle makes for lower load on the battery, which tips us in the direction of the 35E pack being the best choice for long life.
Without these optimizations, the 30Q might be better because it can tolerate a higher load.

Pizzabroodje said:
"I usually error on the side of higher discharge over capacity when the comparison is close."

Well, as you see above, the difference is really up to how much power you're drawing. I always want to go towards more range. My goal would be to figure out how to use the 35E in the most efficient manner possible.

9P is a very large battery pack. If you are using the stock BBSHD controller, then it will demand occasional 30A peaks. If 30A is spread across 9 cells, that is roughly less than 4A per cell.

Should you choose the 35E or 30Q? Both have a fairly long record of use. Since the demands for current are low, neither one will be stressed, so I vote for you to choose the cell with higher capacity, the 35E. If the 35E would be stressed and would get hot, I would defer to the 30Q, which is rated to handle 15A peaks, without getting hot.

I am a very public fan of the 30Q, but in this application, the 35E would work better. 3500-mAh is 18% more range than 3000-mAh. If you pull just 8A from each 35E cell, a 9P pack will provide 9P X 8A = 72A...30A will not get the pack hot at all...

neptronix said:
Pizzabroodje said:
How well do you think it would perform after 300 cycles with probably most of the time less than ~60% of the capacity used?

As batteries lose capacity, they also lose power output. 1C on a 3.4AH cell is 3.4A. 1C on a cell that's lost capacity and thus has 2.7AH is 2.7A.

So let's say your 9P pack has lost 20% of it's capacity. Now, 1C is 24.48A, but your controller still wants to draw 30A. Now, you're effectively drawing 1.2C or so. You can expect the sag to go up and the cell heat to go up. Therefore, you can start a pattern of exponential degradation later in the life of the pack because you didn't have the extra overhead.

Even if the 30Q pack natively has worse degradation, you have more overhead in the discharge.

The two packs might actually last as long as each other. Figuring out exactly which one will last so long is an affair of hair splitting calculations.

Pizzabroodje said:
I don't know exactly how much I'll use it as I'll get a free public transport card for my school. So it depends on if the battery would bring me far enough at a high enough speed to be reasonably faster than public transport. If I'll use it for school everyday (3-5 days a week), I would probably use 90%-100% of the capacity (it's a 2x 27km commute).

I see. So the battery choice has to be exactly optimal.
That's quite a bit of distance to cover if you want to go high speeds.

Instead of doing some hair splitting calculations on battery degradation, i think it'd be easier to focus on the efficiency of the vehicle itself.

Seven things can really help you stretch a battery..
1) The most efficient controller you can get. The phaserunner and other field oriented controllers would fall into this camp. Good for 1-2% efficiency boost.
2) The most efficient motor you can get. Currently, this would either be a direct drive or a single stage to rear reduction RC motor. Either of these can produce efficiency in the low 90% range. Whereas a mid drive peaks out at 80%-85% typically, so we're talking about a 5% difference in how many watts are consumed.
3) The most aerodynamic vehicle. A semi recumbent can drop your air resistance by 20%. A tucked position on a bike is good for 10-15% over an upright position. A small fairing, even if it's just a circular bubble that sits on the handlebars is good for a boost of 5% and beyond.
4) Generous power bus wiring. IE if your battery cables are a bit undersized, you can lose 1%-2% of the energy flowing through them.
5) Rolling resistance for your tires. This is maybe a 1-3% difference. I haven't done the math, but i think we're talking about watt consumption in the 10's..
6) Battery efficiency. As we can see, spec sheets on many modern 18650's allow for up to a 17% energy loss before the cell ignites or smokes or whatever else. Many people today are running batteries that lose 5-10% of their energy to waste heat. The more conservatively you use a battery, the lower this will be.
7) Well, here's the easy one. Speed. The lower the better. Aerodynamics get exponentially worse, the faster you travel.

So, somewhere in here is a 10-20% efficiency gain for an upright bike using only a few of these tricks. Better efficiency of your vehicle makes for lower load on the battery, which tips us in the direction of the 35E pack being the best choice for long life.
Without these optimizations, the 30Q might be better because it can tolerate a higher load.

Pizzabroodje said:

Well, as you see above, the difference is really up to how much power you're drawing. I always want to go towards more range. My goal would be to figure out how to use the 35E in the most efficient manner possible.

"So let's say ... the extra overhead."
Thanks for the explanation. I didn't know this, but it's pretty logical if I look at it now.

"Seven things can ... the faster you travel."
Responding to each of the points:
1) A good controller would cost quite a bit. The phaserunner for example goes for €300. I don't think that's worth it for a 1-2% boost of the battery.
2) A high powered direct drive motor is pretty big and heavy. In the Netherlands you have to have a number plate on ebikes that go faster than 25km/h and the top speed allowed is 45km/h.
I currently don't have a license and a big hub motor would probably catch the attention of police. Also the weight balance of the bike would be bad.
I haven't looked into single stage to rear reduction RC motor but that would be too much of a hassle and there seems to be very limited documentation of it. It would probably require a lot of additional research that I don't want to do anymore, as I've already decided on everything but the battery.
3) A semi recumbent would probably also catch a lot of attention of the cops. Plus I already bought a mountainbike for the build. (Second hand Bulls Copperhead 3 2010)
I might buy another mountainbike because the frame might be just a little too small to fit a casing plus shock absorption around the battery.
I want a Mountainbike because I'll have good Front Suspension for cheap, the semi-tucked in position and the wide tires.
I thought about a fairing but it doesn't look good and would yet again catch the attention of Mr Policeman.
4) I'll use the stock wiring that Em3ev sends on there BBSHD and 14s9p battery. And a parallel adapter in between to add a head- and taillight (which they'll also make for me). Would this be efficient?
5) I currently have 2.35" Schwalbe big apples on the bike, but will switch them for Schwalbe marathon Plus SmartGuard 2.25" tires because of the anti-puncture layer.
I will look for other equally wide tires with good anti-puncture layer but a slicker profile.
6) So what's your recommendation based on this? Lower power usage and thus lesser speeds?
7) As said I want to travel at 45-55km/h. I know aerodynamics get worse but that's just how it is.

You seem to know your shit so I'll go with your recommendation of the 35E.
I can deal with gradually reducing the power from 30A as the battery gets worse. Can the statistics of the Em3ev Smart BMS be used to calculate the remaining energy?
Using bicyclegearcalculator.co.uk I think I might still be able to get the mentioned speeds at 25A. If so I'll set the motor to that (or leave it at 30A for an extra boost every once in a while).

spinningmagnets said:
9P is a very large battery pack. If you are using the stock BBSHD controller, then it will demand occasional 30A peaks. If 30A is spread across 9 cells, that is roughly less than 4A per cell.

Should you choose the 35E or 30Q? Both have a fairly long record of use. Since the demands for current are low, neither one will be stressed, so I vote for you to choose the cell with higher capacity, the 35E. If the 35E would be stressed and would get hot, I would defer to the 30Q, which is rated to handle 15A peaks, without getting hot.

I am a very public fan of the 30Q, but in this application, the 35E would work better. 3500-mAh is 18% more range than 3000-mAh. If you pull just 8A from each 35E cell, a 9P pack will provide 9P X 8A = 72A...30A will not get the pack hot at all...

As I learnt from Neptronix, the energy will reduce as the battery degrades. So at first it will be good at 30A but when for the battery lost for example 20% capacity, it will be good for 25A. But I guess that that will be enough.

Unfortunately, I do not recommend both cells for typical traction application. :(

Samsung 30Q is ideal cell for power tools. It was designed to work at 4A fast charge and more than 10A discharge at 100% DoD without significant heating and still gives you at least 400 cycles before dead. Its capacity drop is linear from the begining to the sudden death around 400-500cycle. The major problem of this cell is that its capacity drop course is always the same no mater when cycled 0.5C-1C, 1C-1C, or 0.5C-3C, all at 100% DoD. Also when you lower charging voltage to 4.1V it does not change anything on the capacity drop course, its just shifted 10% down so it makes no sense to do that. You must lower the DoD under the 70% to make significant change in this course (range 4.1-3.2 or 4.2V-3.55V) only then the cell can reach 1000 cycles but still its capacity drop is worse that almost everything comparable on the market.

Samsung 35E have more common behaviour. It definitelly hates fast charging. Anything above 0.3C at high DoD means that this cell did not reach 400cycles. At 0.3C-1C 100%DoD it makes 500cycles before sudden death. In contrast to 30Q, for 35E works well lowering the charging voltage and the DoD, so it got significantly bettery cycle life at 80% DoD.

So if there is some reason why you cannot use LG cells, then go with 35E but keep the charging current low and DoD below 80%.

BUT! You need to think if 400-500 full cycles are not enough for you? Did you count how long takes you to make 400 full cycles?

Z2iYLU7.jpg

Pquh66o.jpg

i use 13s4p Sanyo GA w/ my BBS02. it lost 5% capacity in 14months of use. that's more than good enough for me

take note you're not going to be drawing 30A all the time w/ a BBS mid-drive on typical trail scenarios

Pajda said:
Unfortunately, I do not recommend both cells for typical traction application. :(

Samsung 30Q is ideal cell for power tools. It was designed to work at 4A fast charge and more than 10A discharge at 100% DoD without significant heating and still gives you at least 400 cycles before dead. Its capacity drop is linear from the begining to the sudden death around 400-500cycle. The major problem of this cell is that its capacity drop course is always the same no mater when cycled 0.5C-1C, 1C-1C, or 0.5C-3C, all at 100% DoD. Also when you lower charging voltage to 4.1V it does not change anything on the capacity drop course, its just shifted 10% down so it makes no sense to do that. You must lower the DoD under the 70% to make significant change in this course (range 4.1-3.2 or 4.2V-3.55V) only then the cell can reach 1000 cycles but still its capacity drop is worse that almost everything comparable on the market.

Samsung 35E have more common behaviour. It definitelly hates fast charging. Anything above 0.3C at high DoD means that this cell did not reach 400cycles. At 0.3C-1C 100%DoD it makes 500cycles before sudden death. In contrast to 30Q, for 35E works well lowering the charging voltage and the DoD, so it got significantly bettery cycle life at 80% DoD.

So if there is some reason why you cannot use LG cells, then go with 35E but keep the charging current low and DoD below 80%.

BUT! You need to think if 400-500 full cycles are not enough for you? Did you count how long takes you to make 400 full cycles?
Well I would prefer LG MJ1's or Sanyo GA's, but I can't order them from Em3ev as they don't have those cells in stock.
I could however buy it from UnitPackPower but Em3ev has superior build quality.

Overclocker said:
Z2iYLU7.jpg

Pquh66o.jpg

i use 13s4p Sanyo GA w/ my BBS02. it lost 5% capacity in 14months of use. that's more than good enough for me

take note you're not going to be drawing 30A all the time w/ a BBS mid-drive on typical trail scenarios
Yes with Sanyo GA. Not Samsung 35E or 30Q. Em3ev doesn't have GA cells in stock.

The common 29E (NCM Chemistry) is a cheap and good long life cell if you can accept slightly lower capacity at 2.85ah.
Just add a few more parallel cells and you are good to go.
Tests performed by Pajda and Flippy reveals it being a very sturdy cell (well in par with twice as expensive LG cells).
When charged by limited 4.1V to 90% capacity it will outlast 35E by many hundreds of cycles (and 30Q by perhaps 500 cycles or possibly even more).

29E test data: https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Samsung%20INR18650-29E%202900mAh%20%28Blue%29%20UK.html
29E chemistry: http://cdn14.21dianyuan.com/download.php?id=238880
Flippy 29E cycle tests: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=96079&start=25#p1411883
Pajda 29E cycle tests: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=93981&start=25#p1399258

Honk said:
The common 29E (NCM Chemistry) is a cheap and good long life cell if you can accept slightly lower capacity at 2.85ah.
Tests performed by Pajda and Flippy reveals it being a very sturdy cell (well in par with twice as expensive LG cells).
When charged by limited 4.1V to 90% capacity it will outlast 35E by many hundreds of cycles (and 30Q by perhaps 500 cycles or possibly even more).

Yes, Samsung 29E still have the best price/performance ratio in 2900mAh class. I must also say that LG MG1 2900mAh is unexpectedly the cell with the far worst cycle life in this class (so it is slowly replaced by LG M29).

Thank you for that info Pajda. Always good to know.
There should be a pinned thread here, were we could list all "good brand cells" with inferior cycle life or other disadvantages.
Just so we avoid buying the wrong cells for our projects.

@Pizzabroodje

I would just go for the Samsung 30Q IMO.

It has lower quite a bit lower internal resistance than the 35E, so at higher loads like 3A, the difference in capacity down to 2,8V is small between both.

Less heat will be generated by the 30Q, the system will be a bit more efficient, it will be less affected by cold weather, and cycle life will get better.

The other advantage of the Samsung 30Q would be to easily plop the battery pack on a higher power bike and being able to just discharge at higher power levels without being worried.

@BlueSwordM

Well, 30Q is not ideal for cycle life.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=97844&p=1435146#p1433642

Quote:
"its capacity drop is worse than almost everything comparable on the market."

By the way, there is realitevely new modification called Samsung 30QM on the market. I hope I will get samples for testing soon if there is any significant change in parameters.

Honk said:

29E test data: https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Samsung%20INR18650-29E%202900mAh%20%28Blue%29%20UK.html
29E chemistry: http://cdn14.21dianyuan.com/download.php?id=238880
Flippy 29E cycle tests: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=96079&start=25#p1411883
Pajda 29E cycle tests: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=93981&start=25#p1399258

Pajda said:
Honk said:

Yes, Samsung 29E still have the best price/performance ratio in 2900mAh class. I must also say that LG MG1 2900mAh is unexpectedly the cell with the far worst cycle life in this class (so it is slowly replaced by LG M29).

As stated somewhere above LG (MJ1) cells are not an option anymore.
They also don't have the Samsung 29E.
They have either 25R, PF, 30Q or 35E.
Between those the 35E is probably the best solution for my use case.

BlueSwordM said:
@Pizzabroodje

I would just go for the Samsung 30Q IMO.

It has lower quite a bit lower internal resistance than the 35E, so at higher loads like 3A, the difference in capacity down to 2,8V is small between both.

Less heat will be generated by the 30Q, the system will be a bit more efficient, it will be less affected by cold weather, and cycle life will get better.

The other advantage of the Samsung 30Q would be to easily plop the battery pack on a higher power bike and being able to just discharge at higher power levels without being worried.
The 35E has a longer range though

The weather in the Netherlands isn't too cold so I'm not too worried. It's also. It too warm so the battery probably won't overheat quickly.

Also I don't have a higher power bike and that wouldn't be a good idea considering the law here. If I ever build another ebike this one is either stolen, unfixable broken, sold or taken by the cops. Or it will be in a few years when this battery is probably (almost) dead.

If I decide it's not powerful enough I can most likely sell the bike / kit for more than I bought it for.
The BBSHD with a 52v 17.5Ah shark battery with 35E's, sensors and a DPC-18 would cost about €1730 in the Netherlands (including shipment).

The same thing but with a 52v 30.6Ah 35E battery would cost me €1215 (including shipment) at Em3ev.

Pajda said:
By the way, there is realitevely new modification called Samsung 30QM on the market. I hope I will get samples for testing soon if there is any significant change in parameters.

Em3ev doesn't have those

Pajda said:

So you recommend LG for life cycle? MJ1?

Back