Golden Motor Regen BLDC 48V controller

electrobent

100 mW
The BLDC Regen controller I ordered off the Golden Motor website arrived from China today $109 and 3 weeks later.

It is the 48V 1000W regen controller listed on their website (goldenmotor.com).

It came with a new thumb throttle labeled 48V.

It looks like they reworked a 36 volt unit to beef it up by soldering in buss bars. Its a little crude but there is no apparent reason for me to take it apart and put it back together correctly like some of the Chinese stuff I have received.

What I don't yet know is if there is a low voltage cut off.

Does anyone know anything about this beast?tops-3.jpg
bottoms-3.jpg

Does this one freewheel, I know its 36v regen predecessor did not, it was always regen. If you were not on the throttle it was regen. Not a pleasant run. It is nice to coast. Any others have experience?

It has a lead labeled "enable/disable regen."

I am trying to figure out where to put a micro switch so a little brake gets the regen and a lot of brake gets regen plus pads on the rim.

This is a nice controller; 12 mosfet with regen!!! this can compete with the kelly controller !! possibly

electrobent said:
I am trying to figure out where to put a micro switch so a little brake gets the regen and a lot of brake gets regen plus pads on the rim.

Use a normal brake switch; the kind usually used to disable the controller when braking. Wiring it into the regen plug instead of the normal brake plug should give the effect you desire.

Link said:
electrobent said:

Use a normal brake switch; the kind usually used to disable the controller when braking. Wiring it into the regen plug instead of the normal brake plug should give the effect you desire.

The brake levers that came with my kit were so cheesy I did not use them--is this what is meant by "Normal brake switch?"

Or does someone manufacture decent quality switched brake levers? Or switches that can easily be attached to brake levers?

Unfortunately, I never took French . . . .

One way to do a brake switch would be to use a magnetic reed switch like the kind used in a bicycle speedometer attached to the lever housing and a small magnet attached to the lever. If this was done cleverly, the magnet could be inside somewhere, near where the cable attaches. The reed switch is sealed in glass, so if the wire connections were sealed, it would be rain proof.

On my old Zappy scooter, I used a lever microswitch that pressed against the brake arm (at the brake drum).

Interesting controller. I see it has a status LED and a beeper. I wonder what makes it beep?

Never seen that one before.

electrobent said:
Link said:
electrobent said:

The brake levers that came with my kit were so cheesy I did not use them--is this what is meant by "Normal brake switch?"

Yeah, but decent in quality. Unfortunately, I don't use them (my brake and gearshift is one piece), so I don't have a clue who makes decent ones. :?

If that doesn't work, try something like making a small contact out of aluminum on the brake lever's housing where the lever touches when it's at rest. The other contact could be the lever. I think the connector needs close to a dead short (almost no resistance), so rain shouldn't be a problem. Shouldn't.

Rkosiorek makes a neet little addon brake switch kit! I just got one and it works like a champ!
otherDoc

Are these 6 free-wheeling diodes!?

Attachments

• Golden Motor Con- bottoms-3 copy.jpg
    Golden Motor Con- bottoms-3 copy.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 6,015
They look like diodes (big heavy duty ones) in series with a resistor.

I got enough out of the French thread to learn that the cut-off voltage is programmable (as is the cut-off current) but have not figure out how to program it yet.

I wrote Philip and asked about programming the controller.

He wrote back:

"Hi Eric,

You need a separate hand held device to program the controller parameters. We will make it available for individual user soon.

Thanks for promoting our products.

Best regards,

Philip Yao"

I then asked what the default values were and will post his reply to that question as well. Now if I can only figure out where to buy 16 gauge silver wire with teflon insulation . . . .

electrobent said:
They look like diodes (big heavy duty ones) in series with a resistor.

I got enough out of the French thread to learn that the cut-off voltage is programmable (as is the cut-off current) but have not figure out how to program it yet.

google translate

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcyclurba.fr%2Fforum%2F28140%2Fessai-controleur-regeneratif-golden-motor.html%3FdiscussionID%3D0%23msg28140&sl=fr&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

I put a small momentary switch on my 36V Regen activate/de-activate. It did not have the desired effect/activating Regen. Only after I came to a complete stop was I able to activate or de-activate the Regen function with the switch. I too did not use the funky brake levers with the switch either. I did see the reed switch brake switch mod somebody did here though and it looks like a good idea.

Rkosiorek from this group sells a kit for brake switching like U describe! Very complete and worth the money!
otherDoc

electrobent said:
The BLDC Regen controller I ordered off the Golden Motor website arrived from China today $109 and 3 weeks later.
It is the 48V 1000W regen controller listed on their website (goldenmotor.com).
So I am wondering how this regen controller performs. Are you satisfied with the regen?

I have not tried it yet.

I am collecting parts and information and waiting on that programmer dohicky as changing a setting sounds easier than rewiring my motor or building new battery packs. Though it does look like I need to take one apart.

My reed switch came on Saturday--thanks to both the suggester and provider on this forum.

The guys on the french forum seem to say it works OK for them, or at least as well as another controller they were comparing it to (I'm bilingual - english/french at least!).

It seems you have to manually find the sweet spot for efficient regen in any given situation, and of course this sounds like it is tricky.

I am about to buy a controller, and I would like one that I can at least experiment with regen, so this golden motors one looks good to me.

Knuckles, are you telling me that the much cheaper ecrazyman controller on ebay will do the same thing as this golden motors controller for quite a bit less dough (for regen at least)? If so, I want one! I would like something that can output around 40 amps though, since I'll have a new Ping2 pack with a 40A BMS. Sadly, this GM controller is only rated at 20amps... but could probably do more, right? :twisted:

BTW, how much did the golden motors programmer dohicky set you back, electrobent?

I am still waiting for the "dohicky" to appear on their website.

UPDATE:

On 7/26 I got an email from Philip Yao saying that the dohicky would be for sale on their website (goldenmotor.com) within two weeks. He did not name a price.

ZapPat said:
Knuckles, are you telling me that the much cheaper ecrazyman controller on ebay will do the same thing as this golden motors controller for quite a bit less dough (for regen at least)?
No. The goldenmotor regen feature is not yet available on our stock crazy controllers. I want more functionality than the GM regen circuit anyway. It is on my long "To-Do" list. But at least we solved the PUMA/BMC "critical frequency" problem (I think) with the new Infineon controller.

Knuckles said:
ZapPat said:
Knuckles, are you telling me that the much cheaper ecrazyman controller on ebay will do the same thing as this golden motors controller for quite a bit less dough (for regen at least)?
No. The goldenmotor regen feature is not yet available on our stock crazy controllers. I want more functionality than the GM regen circuit anyway. It is on my long "To-Do" list. But at least we solved the PUMA/BMC "critical frequency" problem (I think) with the new Infineon controller.
Ok, thanks Knuckles, this is what I had gathered from your other posts in the meantime.

And yes, I do agree with you that we need something better than golden motor's regen control. It does work, but from the results on a french forum where a guy was testing it out, it seems that it is quite hard to control the regen to make sure it is working efficiently (too much manual control required by the user).

And I do hear you when you talk about long to-do lists! I now have to use sub-to-do lists to keep order in mine it is so long! :mrgreen:

BTW, I'm still holding off on my controller purchase, waiting for a more detailed photo of your new infinion PCB to decide if it will be suitable for me to hack it into a regen model.

So how did that controller work out. Any word on the specs?

Back