Risunmotor Hubmotor Kit for electric bike

SilverLine

100 W
Hallo Forum....

I`m thinking of building a DIY electric Trike Bike

The bike is going to be : Triad Underworld 3 : http://triaddrifttrikes.com/underworld3/

For the front hubmotor wheel, i´m looking at this kit : https://www.banggood.com/RISUNMOTOR-Powerful-Brushless-Gearless-Hub-Motor-48V-1500W-Front-Wheel-Electric-Bike-DIY-Conversion-Kits-with-LCD3-Display-p-1459378.html?rmmds=mywishlist&ID=567169&cur_warehouse=CN

Anybody knows if this is a decent kit ? And if the speed controller is programable ??

Anybody else in here, that have build an electric trike bike ?
When I´m looking at the front fork, it´s looks like the mount solution for attaching the front wheel/axel to the fork, is not like on a bike. Any feedback would be appreciate
triad.jpg

Thanks

That's a unicycle wheel, basically, so you'd either need a unicycle motor setup (see Justin_LE's unicycle posts) or a rear wheel motor of some kind (probably chain drive to a live-axle to power both rear wheels). A rear wheel drive would probably require using traction-capable wheels and removing the ability of this to be a drift trike.

I recommend looking up the various Drift Trike threads for ideas.

If you don't want pedals, you can change the fork to a regular type, and then use a regular hubmotor wheel kit in it. But if you want the pedals, a regular hubmotor can't work there (and a regular hubmotor can't be moutned in that fork without making adapters to secure it's axle flats from spinning).

Thanks for the answer...
I want front wheel drive and without the pedals :)
So You are saying that this could be done, if i make adaptors for the original fork ?

I Will look in to the posts thanks

Yes, essentially you will need to make Torque Plates (or torque arms) that effectively replace the "dropouts" on the existing fork, which presently simply clamp to the bearings on the wheel. There is a Torque Arm Picture Thread that should help you come up with ideas...but becuase you have no normal dropouts on this fork, whatever you make has to be those, too.

The torque plates/arms must be able to both secure the wheel firmly to the fork so it can't come off under any conditions except when you deliberately unbolt it, and must be able to prevent the motor's axle from turning even the tiniest bit (or it will pry open the hole it's in and spin, destroying the wiring and possibly the electrical system (controller, etc) if things rip open and short out.

THe faceplant and crash that can come from either shorting the phase wires on a DD hubmotor, or a wheel coming out of the forks, would probably be unpleasant at best. ;)

Thanks...

I think this is going to be my solution.

What do you think about the hub kit from banggood ? Better out there, or are all these chinese kits sort of the same....?

Dunno anythig about that kit (you can search ES for the vendor name, probably has posts or threads about it). There's lots of them that are about the same as each other.

The main thing is to get one with the right wheel diameter and width for the fork (or be able to make your arms/plates for the axle shoulder width of teh motor).

Then to get one that has the right top speed at the voltage you're going to run it at, so you don't overload it at lower speeds under load...but for a fun drift trike it probably wont' matter.

Mostly, I recommend looking at the other drift trike threads and seeing what they did to build theirs. And looking at the various commercially-built electric drift trikes to see what they did.

Back