Torque Arms my idea will it work?

I'm building a steel/moly rigid Bianchi mountain bike.

I had a thought concerning torque arms, Craigslist has a lot of cheap bikes if you can find a cheap steel framed bike you can cut off the lower part of the triangle including the dropouts as long as the drop is at the right angle, cut down the center of the lower tube strip the paint on the cut off piece and the current frame and have a good welder make that sucker permanent, you'd then have rear dropouts that are twice as thick. Although they would probably be more like torque plates with an arm rather than a real torque arm.

I've ordered all my stuff and I'm anxiously waiting delivery, unfortunately I have to wait for the order over at ebikes.ca to be filled and the boat to come across and customs etc.... They said it would be about 3-4 weeks, I'm hoping that is accurate if not sooner but who knows, I checked with 2 other companies that sell the 5304's and they were sold out as well with the same amount of wait time so I used ebikes.ca for everything.

That being said I don't know if I want to mess with modifying my frame finding a welder, finding a frame to cut to pieces, etc... I don't think I want to use the 10mm wrenches as I think that wouldn't look very good/stealthy and frankly I don't trust hose clamps, I don't want to draw any attention to anything on my bike. Does anyone have getadirtbikes torque arms installed and in use, does anyone have pics of the actual fit, side view, rear view etc... I'm not sure I would like the way they look and again not really sure I would be comfortable with the way that they attach to the lower part of the frame, again maybe with hose clamps.

you'd waste a bike to make a torque arm? Remind me of my youth, reducing my expensive rc car into inefficient remote control fan.

I think it would be cheaper if you'd just draw the layout of your drop out area. then have a machinist cut a torque plate for you. With the exception of closed drop out of course. Then bolt the thing to you existing drop out. The massacre of innocent bikes will not be tolerated lol.

This idea is bad. You can buy metal dropouts as individual pieces that are meant to be brazed on; that's what the people that make custom frames do.

You can find plenty of discarded bikes in any town. You just need to check the thrift stores, and ask for unusable bikes. Scrap metal is hot right now, so you want to get close to the source(s), like put an ad in freecycle and craigslist "wanted: old bikes for parts".

A hacksaw and a drill could set you up fine.

:D

CGameProgrammer said:
You can buy metal dropouts as individual pieces that are meant to be brazed on; that's what the people that make custom frames do.

Any idea where?

youreaspeedemon said:
CGameProgrammer said:
You can buy metal dropouts as individual pieces that are meant to be brazed on; that's what the people that make custom frames do.

Any idea where?

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=details&PageID=30&SKU=FS2303

From experience, once you start running higher power through an X5 an open ended torque arm will still open up. It happened to me using an open ended 4mm and 5mm plates at both ends and even .

Now I wouldn't consider anything but an enclosed unit.

You might get away with it, but the consequences of them not working are just a time consuming pain in the ass.

Back