new ebike

I have a complete 48v 1000w I had it on a 26 inch briefly than I tinkered with the motor for some odd reasons, anyway since I got a 29er I was debating turning into an ebike, in some sense I am not sure I want to ruin it, it is a nice bike very light great for trails not sure if I want to add all that weight onto it wont be much use for trails, it is full suspension and such, anyway I am looking for some input, I was considering buying a new wheel already spoked since I have the rest of the stuff, but which one is which I checked ebay briefly can't quite tell them apart, any thoughts?

here's something interesting
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRUSHLESS-REAR-HUB-MOTOR-48V-1500-1800W-VAE-E-BIKE-BIG-POWER-/191104430966?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c7eb63376

controller and all to match I am pretty sure the ones I have are 1000w so this motor would be limited, guess I could spoke it myself

I could really use some input here as I am fixing to order a couple things, pardon the ignorance but ebay is all I know so I have been browsing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221298619681?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181128837834?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360643191446?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360643013441?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221298617339?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

my question is are any of these what they claim to be? my understanding is that 12 fet is about 1000w 18 must be 1500 so 36 must be 3000, I was considering a controller if I get a more powerful motor to match that being said the ones that have the 72v option are even more interesting for future updates, I already have a 1000w regular controller and another with regen, I have a 1000w motor but I had started some custom job with it I'd rather leave it for that.

I got some money to spend on this project, really al I need is a 29er wheel rear hub motor, complete would be nice but even those that post an option mention a 28" or 700c those are different aren't they?

if that is the case I might as well spoke my own, guess I have to find a source for spokes too, I got a decent bike I could probl reuse the rim, get 12ga spokes, maybe, I considered a motorcycle rim but 21 is the largest and supposedly it is about 28" overall, that does add some weight too, and it may not fit, granted I was considering a custom build and hiding the batteries and controller in this large rear fork, but that gets complicated

I looked up the es for sale section but I just don't know the difference so I cant quite tell them apart.

any thoughts on this purchase much apreciated

The 3rd controller you listed, the 48,60,72v. 1500w I just got one. Shipping was not bad for being so far away, think it was 1 1/2 weeks from China. I think I counted 18 mes FET's inside it. Still trying to find the time to get the right wiring combo for it tho as my motor wasnt just plug and ride, :( But the seller is real and has been helpful and has returned my emails with great english grammer. My plans are 72v 15ah. But what I really liked is that I can turn all those batteries into 48v and go far with 25ah battery series. Cant really give too much technical at this point. Turn that bike into an ebike...you wont regret it!

2007blueprius said:
I have a complete 48v 1000w I had it on a 26 inch briefly than I tinkered with the motor for some odd reasons, anyway since I got a 29er I was debating turning into an ebike, in some sense I am not sure I want to ruin it, it is a nice bike very light great for trails not sure if I want to add all that weight onto it wont be much use for trails, it is full suspension and such, anyway I am looking for some input, I was considering buying a new wheel already spoked since I have the rest of the stuff, but which one is which I checked ebay briefly can't quite tell them apart, any thoughts?

It's hard to balance the bicycle handling and power assist in the same package on a FS bike. The main reason is battery placement is key and a ton of FS bikes won't allow us to optimally place them within the frame without heavy welding modification or a custom bag. "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" which means that you should stick around and admire all the successful builds on this forum, then steal their ideas unto your own. You start seeing a pattern, why they chose that certain bike or why they chose that battery configuration and motor type.

Do you have a link or a picture of your bike? We can start there.

I have an iron horse sinister 6.5, I think it is the most expensive mountainbike wallmart ever carried, I have another genesis v2900, but that needs a lot more, its new but cheapo, I saw one done on here I hope he changed the front hub, I also have a izip used to have the 24v PAS I never had it working, the pack used to be in the downtube I have it now on my boys razor. I tried the previous kit on it but that bike is crooked on purpose for the currie geared motor, these Chinese ones don't fit right,

I had the kit on a cheapo NExt bike just to try it, than I had the great idea to fit it onto one of those 32" work in progress dropped it about a year ago, another story there, so now I had the idea to put one on my 29er, I like that bike thou and I may just leave it alone.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/29-Mantis-Colossus-Men-s-Mountain-Bike/21156178, I was going to look at one of these, the fork looks a bit better than the wifes v2900, I was considering buying it just for the fork turns out is a steel frame, and I can weld steel so it is easier fabrication, turns out aluminum frames are a bad idea anyway.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/29-Huffy-Bantam-Men-s-Mountain-Bike-Red/23031012 also this here supposedly steel frame, I am kindof eyeballing those forks and disk wheel for the wifes v2900, those have the mount for rear disk already, I like that bike and I have some leftovers, honestly I bought it for that swingarm kindof for the 32" project.

wonder if those forks would swap onto the genesis, I know there are a couple different kinds, sizes , taper or not, I am not extremely familiar and they are different brands, I just spent the day looking up builds, If I endup doing a steel frame I could make a swingarm, I was honestly considering hiding all the stuff on in it, I got a 1kwh battery pretty heavy

Right off the bat, I'd go mid drive, either GNG or Bafang. Both will accommodate 68mm BB with the GNG being the exception using Lightningrod's upgrade kit available for 68, 73, and soon 100mm BB. These motors fit a wide range of bikes including all the bikes you just mentioned. No need need to worry about rear dropout design/strength or front fork issues with this motor strategy.

A "bike bottle" type battery could be used as your power source, though they don't provide an ample amount of range due to their size. But it may be adequate in your situation. They also fit with rear suspension bikes. BMSbattery.com comes to mind to browse at them. If you want more powerful type of batteries, EM3EV.com supply big juicy packs, but you have to shell out some moolah for them.

ok what is the deal with middrive? honest question, it seems overly complicated and it would be fine if hubmotors were not available, I see they are quite popular so there must be something about them, maybe because you can benefit from the gears? I get the dropout issues are not an issue anymore but it looks like a lot of extra hardware, chains and such. I prefer the simplicity of a gearless hub but something to consider hence the question

and how does that have anything to do with the front forks? I was planning a rear hub by the way, the forks mentioned were a bit off topic, all I was saying I really like the frame and suspension on the v2900, but the components are a bit on the cheapside and some of those cheaper steel hardtails have better components so since I need a steel frame, kindof kill 2 birsd with one stone and upgrade the wifes 2900

the bike bottles hardly have any capacity, the kit I bought originally hass a 48v 20ah, ductape type, I am all for cutting it up and fit it in a modded frame. and a steel frame I can work with I dont have the equipment to weld aluminum, the aluminum frames inrigued me because they are so light I have an old NEXT cheapo, 26" weighs a lot more than tose bigger bikes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/48V1000W-26-Rear-Wheel-Electric-Bicycle-Motor-Kit-E-Bike-Cycling-Hub-Conversion-/231187357963?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d3d7210b,

so this is what I ordered the other day, it was cheap enough and on this continent already, I think is the same as the one I have for the other project than again I can't tell these things apart, is this a 9 continent motor? I have no idea which one is which guess I'll see what I get when it gets here.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/29-Mantis-Colossus-Men-s-Mountain-Bike/21156180,

and I have pretty much figured I'll order this for a donor, its a steel frame and for the price I don't have to mess up my good bike, plus I can work with steel and I am told despite the weight it is better for an ebike.

now I am going to have to spoke my own wheel since I got a 26' again, I really did not feel like waiting to have one made and shipped halfway across the world, spring is almost here, question is what size spokes will I need? I know about the calculators, if only I knew what I ordered, guess I best wait until it gets here and measure it, unless someone done this before, supposedly this is one of those dished setups, ahhhh, bit at war with myself here, part of me wants to cut up the frame and make an offset swingarm like my Izip has, tinker with the frame too, on the other hand realistically I don't have the time to devote to that and if I spoke it dished than I will have to redo it eventually.

what to do what to do? these are normally spoked with 12 ga? if anybody knows the sizes I'll take a gamble and order the spokes already.

well look at what I picked up today:

WP_20140415_008[1].jpg

I initially had other thoughts but came across this frame couldn't help myself, its a steel frame and I figured the way that triangle is set up I should be able to hide the battery in there. we'll see

love those dropouts too,

WP_20140415_009.jpg

and I wonder if I should even bother with all the gears

WP_20140415_011.jpg

or maybe just do 1 gear since the BB is on the swingarm

now for the brakes, disk or rim? I have parts for either just not sure which way to take this.

here's what I got so far

didn't turn out too bad at all, bit funky I got used to my 29, felt like I was constantly nose diving, had to tweek it a bit, suspension is crap, the rear might as well be rigid, the front feels too soft. I had a rox shock fork but the steerer was too wide, does anyone knows whats involved making it work?

looks like those bearing caps are pressed on. I am a bit of a grease monkey just not with bikes, wonder if I could get the proper caps thou that frame tube might be too narow

well this bike was down right dangerous, felt like a clown bike and with the battery in the bag, fork very soft and the rear suspension about as stiff as a hard tail, it served its purpose for a couple test rides but I had other plans.

WP_20140426_003.jpg

here is the hub laced into a MC 21x1.6 in a 29er steel hard tail I bought for this project, it is a cheap wall mart bike, I bought it with intent to cut it up, it is surprisingly light, makes me believe it is very thin gage steel. I have a couple different forks I can use but it is a hard tail, as it is I will probably have to weld a caliper bracket to say the least, likely may have to widen the stays to clear the tire, at this point I am seriously considering using the swingarm and suspension parts off the 26.

WP_20140426_004.jpg

this one looks like the bushings on the rear suspension are rubber and over tighten and it is stiff as hell, I like it thou because the BB is on the swingarm, I am considering doing away with all the gears and just run 1 high gear, I got enough battery not to worry about running out, or maybe I should keep them just in case.

I liked the frame initially, figured if I done something different with the suspension and free up that triangle, it will be a nice spot for the batteries, the one issue with it the head tube is too small to fit a decent fork on, I wonder what my options are as far as welding a wider one and where to get the right diameter, overall this bike felt small, and uncomfortable, we'll see maybe make one out of the 2.

WP_20140426_001.jpg

Now this one is my favorite, great bike not a lot of room to fit all the stuff, and it is all aluminum which my welder is not strong enough, if the swingarm turns out to be too narrow, there is not much I can do with it, I was going to get a 29er rim on that motor initially but I got carried away.

WP_20140426_002.jpg

this one was supposed to be the wifes she hardly ever rides, I got some nice components I can put on it , may have just enough room, again all aluminum, not much I can do other than bolt ons.

I got a few more but not worth mentioning, one is too old and heavy, might cut some parts off it, the others aluminum other projects.

so I guess the yellow one is pretty much worthless as is, might as well take it apart see if I can stretch the swingarm, wish I had that tire dam it, it's on back order now, that's what I get for procrastinating.

any thoughts?

I cant believe you had a frame mounted rack with an humungous battery sat on it supported on the swing arm of a full suspension bike, no wonder it felt crap, what was you thinking!! For the suspension to move the rack had to bend, good job you took it apart before the rack snapped and dumped your pack on the floor.

not to worry, that rack was made to flex, I'm not that silly, I only threw it together to try it out, I took that suspension apart and it was crooked and over tighten, it was stiff before the ebike stuff, I can fix all that, and initially I bought that frame thinking I can mod the suspension free up the triangle, install the shock elsewhere, and make room for the battery instead

the fork is still $hit, and I believe 1 inch steerer, all my other stuff is 1 1/4, my other thought when I bought it was to use the pivots, etc to make a swingarm for the 29er

so for the sake of simplicity I took a stab at the hardtail just for gigs, cheap wallmart bike bought it especially to cut it up for an experiment.

the wheel ended up to be 3.5 inches + in width, so no bike frame is that wide maybe a fat one
View attachment 11
WP_20140504_004.jpg
View attachment 9
WP_20140504_006.jpg

my methods can be questionable by many standards, so not too many details there.

WP_20140504_021.jpg

couple scissor jacks, an angle grinder, a cheap welder which decided to act up on me, oh well, a variety of hammers, I did not cut the stays just persuaded them, and I am not gentle, nor do I care to make it pretty, one factory weld looked funny at the end and I ended up redoing it

WP_20140504_007.jpg
WP_20140504_008.jpg
WP_20140504_009.jpg
WP_20140504_011.jpg

I finetuned it with a larger hammer, needless to say the 2 stays did not bend evenly, and it took some eyeballing to get it back into place, still needs a few wacks, I am never happy nor do I have frame jigs/lasers, pretty basic stuff

WP_20140504_014.jpg
View attachment 1

Back